X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThriceHonored
    started a topic Clan C’Thrashi : The Progeny

Clan C’Thrashi : The Progeny

The progeny are by far the most monstrous vampiric creatures in the world of darkness. There origins or shrouded in mystery, and they operate on the periphery of kindred Society. As it is sometimes the case, they may be so rare or so secretive that the kindred may not be aware of them at all.

To call them a separate clan is not entirely accurate. They are more akin to a divergent species. It may even be that they have no connection whatsoever other than a rather large handful of similarities to the kindred.

The C’Thrashi run the range of heights and weights common to baseline humanity. In the process of transformation they lose several human traits. The progeny are without body hair, fingernails, navels, and apparent biological sex. That is not to say that they do not retain masculine or feminine personality traits, but these seem to be left over from their mortal lives and may even begin to atrophy as their humanity fluctuates. The most notable feature of the C’Thrashi is there head, which resembles an octopus. Their heads are rounded with 4 to 6 tentacles hanging down concealing a lamprey-like mouth. The tentacles are of varying lengths. Some come down to where the navel used to be, and some have been known to come down past the knees. These tentacles are smooth and lack suction cups. There generally used to hold the head or neck of their victims securely while feeding. Skin colors range from violets and blues to several shades of greens and yellows.
    Last edited by ThriceHonored; 12-06-2018, 11:56 PM.

• ThriceHonored
    replied
    That’s one idea. I had ideas of a mortal based, kindred based, and maybe one culled from a dead host.

How I would delineate between the three would be the kicker.

I have also been working on giving them something similar to the beast called the aberrant which would theoretically be the lingering consciousness of the blood worm or the source of the blood worms. So far I have an idea for the wrathful aberrant and the indolent aberrant, Still thinking of a third.

Leave a comment:

• Ventrue Life
    replied
    Perhaps you could turn it into some kind of alien parasite that enhanced and mutates existing Kindred into C'Thrashi? Your original write up already reminded me of such a parasite. Night Horrors - The Wicked Dead already has two examples of similar types of viruses/parasites, but yours could potentially be cooler.

What if any Kindred clan could get this parasite, and the parasite would slowly corrupt their appearance, change their behavior, change the way they embrace childer, and give them some unique Lovecraftian powers in the form of a 4th entirely new Discipline that's only available to the Kindred infected with the C'Tharsh parasite? Similar perhaps to how Malkavia and Dementation is handled in Ventrue - Lords of the Damned, so that might also be a good place to look.

Leave a comment:

• ThriceHonored
    replied
    Thanks for the input Tessie. This actually started out as something to scribble on in my spare time so the work doesn’t really daunt me, but I agree with you. This will take some thought

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    It's already explained in the OP that the C'Thrash is not really Kindred, and I think trying to fit them into the Clan/Bloodline structure will limit the stated intentions quite a bit. I think the best bet is making them their own thing, basing them on Kindred and diverging where fitting. That would make them similar to some entries in Night Horrors: The Wicked Dead but only in that they also have partial basis in Kindred. Nothing says you couldn't do that and not have them still be playable.
    Just be warned that the more you diverge the more work it'll be. Each design decision requires quite a bit of thought if you want to make them fun to play and fit into your chosen themes.

Leave a comment:

• ThriceHonored
    replied
    What about a central group with the potential to break off into differing mutations or Strains? I like the word strain better

Leave a comment:

• Spectre9924
    replied
    Possibly try playing around with having them tied to specific organizations. A mystery cult related bloodline that is open to multiple Clans.

Leave a comment:

• Ventrue Life
    replied
    I don't feel like these monsters are particularly well suited to be PCs, but if you insist on that, you should probably try to stick close to the default Clan/Bloodline mold, perhaps more so than you currently have.

You could turn them into a Bloodline if you want them to be PCs. I feel like the Mekhet would be a good basis for these guys. That means their base Disciplines would be Auspex, Celerity, Obfuscate. I would give them Nightmare as their 4th Discipline, and then build some unique Devotions that combine the powers of Auspex and Nightmare.

Their unique bloodline bane would probably be a copy of the Nosferatu's clan bane (the Lonely Curse) with perhaps the "causes headaches to the people around them when they're hungry" in addition to that.

Because bloodlines always get a bloodline gift, you could turn your original Blush of Life idea (blush of life making them look perfectly normal) into their bloodline gift (but because it kinda diminishes their cool freakish physical appearance, perhaps counterbalance that by ruling that when they use Blush of Life, they can't use their Nightmare Discipline and Devotions relying on Nightmare. Perhaps to further encourage them to reveal their freakish faces to their victims, rule that if they show their true form, they get a +2 dice bonus on all Nightmare-related rolls. This could all be part of their bloodline gift.
    Last edited by Ventrue Life; 03-07-2019, 09:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ThriceHonored
    replied
    While I think they would make good npc’s My intent was always to make them pc’s. I noticed a lot of the 1E creatures have no bp 0, though it doesn’t seem like a hard and fast rule. And some have disciplines or nominate. Is that to mean there’s not really set rules?

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    (Or alternately, they're talking about Horrors from the 2e corebook, the simplified rules for antagonists that focuses on the things the ST needs rather than the things a player needs.)

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    They're referring to Night Horrors: the Wicked Dead, a book that had a whole bunch of rules for non-Kindred vampires (and introduced the Strix to the modern nights). The intent is basically "this is a cool idea, but it doesn't seem to fit well into the mold of a Clan; it would probably work better being something entirely separate from the Kindred, like the Penanggalan and the Strix".

Leave a comment:

• ThriceHonored
    replied
    How exactly does a night horror differ? They all seem widely varied in what they do and how they do it

Leave a comment:

• Spectre9924
    replied
    I second Ventrue Life . As a Night Horror, they can better embody the Lovecraftian themes with a more varied array of powers. This is in no way a dud. Just needs a polishing.

Leave a comment:

• Ventrue Life
    replied
    Originally posted by ThriceHonored View Post
    Changing one’s appearance should instead be handled by disciplines or possibly a devotion.

Well, as a pointed out, the fourth dot of Obfuscate basically already does what you're looking for. At least based on your original write up it seems like Obfuscate 4 does what you want these monsters to be able to do. And honestly all the Obfuscate powers seem to be right up these guy's allies, so if they're a Night Horror concept, you can easily say that every C'Tharsh has 5 dots in Obfuscate, or have it depend on their rank (if you want to work with that system) or Blood Potency.

Definitely check out the list of Numina from Chronicles of Darkness (starting at page 136) and see if you can use some of those powers. I'm sure some of the Numina found there work well for the C'Tharshi. If you're going to turn this into a Night Horror, you can practically do whatever you want. So get creative!

Leave a comment:

• ThriceHonored
    replied
    Hm. You have a good point. To be honest I had forgotten about this thread, mostly because I thought it was a dud. I may give it a second chance though.

I agree with this concept being far more similar to a night horror. An idea I really liked is the concept of having to be more reliant on a ghoulDue to monstrous appearance. I do believe you are correct about repurposing the blush of life. Changing one’s appearance should instead be handled by disciplines or possibly a devotion. Perhaps blush of life should be phased out of this concept or perhaps do something different.

Thank you Spectre and Ventrue, I had thought this idea was possibly complete crap, but I feel somewhat optimistic about revamping it. No pun intended.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X