Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Bitten" Vampires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Bitten" Vampires

    Something that has fascinated about Requiem is the suggestion that a vampire might be created by a bite. There seems to be no rules for this in the core book.

    Is this talking about Revenants, or is there lore and rules for a vampire turned after a bite?

  • #2
    the Embrace? vampires can make another by draining a human of all his blood, then filling it with vitae (don't know how much) and then spending a willpower dot, not a point, a dot

    Comment


    • #3
      Also if someone happens to die while having Vitae in their system they might come back as a vampire.

      Comment


      • #4
        Right, I get the normal Embrace. What I'm talking about is in the Myths Section, second edition:

        Myth, being bitten turns you into a Vampire.
        Fact, most of the time, a vampire is created by being fed blood. But there are some vampires turned by a bite, and you don't want to meet one of those.

        The suggestion seems to be that there are some people, maybe one in a million that when bitten turn into a vampire. And that they are more powerful as a result. I imagine such a vampire as having a high potency out of the gate, like 6-10

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by guyserman82 View Post
          The suggestion seems to be that there are some people, maybe one in a million that when bitten turn into a vampire. And that they are more powerful as a result. I imagine such a vampire as having a high potency out of the gate, like 6-10
          It's talking more about revenants. You don't want to meet them because they're not really put together, mentally. More like animals with a thirst for blood and the durability of a fast zombie.

          Comment


          • #6
            It's talking about revenants.

            There are, though, suggestions of the spontaneous Embrace occurring as well (p. 94, Anomalies).

            Comment


            • #7
              I also assume that section refers to revenants, but it could also refer to larvae, not the bloodline, but the mindless savages spawned in a different but similar way as revenants are. You definitely don't wanna meet a larvae, that's for sure.

              These guys:
              https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/La..._Blood_Potency)
              Last edited by Ventrue Life; 12-19-2018, 10:30 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                the Embrace? vampires can make another by draining a human of all his blood, then filling it with vitae (don't know how much) and then spending a willpower dot, not a point, a dot
                That’s the previous edition. Now it costs Humanity to intentionally Embrace someone and make a vampire the proper way. Either way, the idea is that a proper Embrace requires the sire to give a significant part of themselves in the process.

                However, there are a number of improper ways, and all it really takes is for a human to be exposed to the infection at some point. Feeding counts as exposure, since there are trace amounts of vitae in a vampire’s saliva, which is what anaesthetizes the word and causes it to close. That minute exposure by itself isn’t enough to turn the average person (that usually requires an infusion of vitae after death), but the chance of accidental vampirism goes up as the feeding vampire’s Humanity goes down.

                Vampires created by accident in this way are revenants, whose Embrace is incomplete but can be fixed down the road if someone agrees to sire them properly. Unfortunately, they tend to crawl out of their graves with nobody to teach them about their state, and they have trouble keeping vitae in their system, so they’re always on the edge of starvation. Most Kindred are more likely to want to put them out of their misery than bring them into the family.

                Revenants are the in-setting explanation for the idea that vampirism is contagious and you have to take precautions to keep their victims from rising. In the All Night Society it’s a source of shame to go around creating revenants. It’s rare, but it happens.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's talking about Revenants, when a vampire drains a mortal without destroying the corpse or when a ghoul dies while there's still Vitae in their system they can become one of those.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As Black Flag indicates, it's from mortals who die while contaminated by Vitae.

                    Now, note that such contamination can come from the bite, but the person doesn't have to be killed from the feeding act. He or she could die later--even a long later, and (a very small chance) rise as a revenant. Think of Vitae as carrying a transmittable blood disease, which in early forms manifests as ghouling or revenant-hood (depending on how alive the person is to hold the disease in check), and in its full-blown form is raging vampirism.

                    Even the tiniest contamination by vitae is enough to create the possibility of revenant transformation. This is a major reason why if your peers discover you're seeding the water supply with vitae they're going to deal with you promptly, for example.

                    --Khanwulf

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
                      As [USER="352"]

                      Even the tiniest contamination by vitae is enough to create the possibility of revenant transformation. This is a major reason why if your peers discover you're seeding the water supply with vitae they're going to deal with you promptly, for example.
                      Holy shit, yes. But I’m sure there’s some weird blood cult that would do that.

                      It’s also another good reason to avoid killing when you feed. It’s seldom necessary, it tends to attract mortal attention, and on top of that there’s always a slim chance of making a kind of bastard childe that brings even more problems.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I can imagine a revenant bloodline that... um... has a much higher chance of creating revenants through contamination. So you quickly get hordes of "bitten" vamps who are smarter and more desperate than draugr.

                        Anyway, this whole mechanic is one of the more brilliant bits of the game, where the mechanics leverage incentives to ensure vamps play the kind of hidden game they're intended to. In VtM it relied on kindred doing what they were told, and the honor system. Here, your elders will scare the crap outa you with only slightly exaggerated stores about so-and-so who got a revenant or two humping their leg.

                        And what happened afterwards. The newbies will be so impressed they'll vomit whenever someone suggests killing their meal!

                        Keep in mind that these chaps have very high blood sympathy for their creators. As well as the vampiric social graces of toddlers.

                        --Khanwulf

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
                          I can imagine a revenant bloodline that... um... has a much higher chance of creating revenants through contamination. So you quickly get hordes of "bitten" vamps who are smarter and more desperate than draugr.

                          Anyway, this whole mechanic is one of the more brilliant bits of the game, where the mechanics leverage incentives to ensure vamps play the kind of hidden game they're intended to. In VtM it relied on kindred doing what they were told, and the honor system. Here, your elders will scare the crap outa you with only slightly exaggerated stores about so-and-so who got a revenant or two humping their leg.

                          And what happened afterwards. The newbies will be so impressed they'll vomit whenever someone suggests killing their meal!

                          Keep in mind that these chaps have very high blood sympathy for their creators. As well as the vampiric social graces of toddlers.

                          --Khanwulf

                          You were saying?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yeah that was sticking in my mind but the details didn't come out.

                            Still a bit more "civilized" than I was thinking at the time, however.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X