Lashing Out against some powers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lashing Out against some powers

How does lashing out to escape Awe and Dread Presence works?
    The book seems to suggest that I lash out to fortify myself against the power. So, this is a special lash out against the Discipline itself that does not affect the vampire that used the power?

If I need to lash out against the vampire, how exactly does it work when the vampire using Nightmare can also be using high levels of Obfuscate?

Check my homebrews:
    Vampire Bloodlines: Kiasyd, Melissidae
    Mage Legacies: Infernal Ones, Daoine

No one knows how it works for sure since it's never been clarified, but a good guess is that you Lash Out as you normally would (with the power user either Lashing back or not responding), and if successful you become unaffected by that power. Whether the reinforcement against Awe/Dread Presence replaces the Condition on the loser and/or the +2 bonus to acting in the interest of the chosen Aspect is up for each individual table to decide.
    If you do not know who to Lash Out against (because they're Obfuscated or otherwise hidden), tough luck.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Using Dread Presence or Awe breaks Obfuscate in two ways. 1. They are drawing attention to themself which breaks Obfuscate. It's right there in the power description for Obfuscate multiple times. 2. If they are using higher levels of Obfuscate and attacking you, you as the victim (but not necessarily others) immediately become immune to their applications of Obfuscate. Again it's in the description for Obfuscate.
      If they're using Dread Presence and centering it on someone or something other than themself, you Lash Out on the target. For me Lashing Out on objects or locations are an auto win but other targets (even humans) can fight back and win those contests.

I've actually had an ST who allowed PCs to preemptively activate their Predatory Auras for a willpower and roll a Predatory Aura check. If they got at least one success it made them effectively immune to the zero cost zero skill foundation powers unless someone wanting to affect them Lashed Out and beat the establishing Predatory Aura roll. Suffice it to say, willpower was a precious commodity in that setting

Comment

Awe definitely draws attention, but Dread Presence does not. The feeling of dread is noticeable but whom it's directed towards is described as subconscious. You'll probably notice who's using Dread Presence if your attention already is on the user, but it won't draw your attention like Awe.

Higher levels of Nightmare can definitely draw attention, though, such as Face of the Beast which requires eye contact, unless you use the Devotion Hint of Fear which allows you to inflict Face of the Beast reflexively and without showing that you're the one who did it.
        Last edited by Tessie; 01-04-2019, 01:42 PM.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Except the part in the entry for Dread Presence where it says people actively avoid the one using Dread Presence and can't use Willpower against them. How do you actively avoid something you can't notice?

And of course it doesn't draw the same sort of attention. Each power invokes a different sort of attention and provokes different reactions. Awe inspires lust and coerces the victims into sycophantic behavior towards the user. Dread Presence inspires fear and revulsion and forces its victims to retreat from the user.

Comment

Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
            Except the part in the entry for Dread Presence where it says people actively avoid the one using Dread Presence and can't use Willpower against them. How do you actively avoid something you can't notice?

And of course it doesn't draw the same sort of attention. Each power invokes a different sort of attention and provokes different reactions. Awe inspires lust and coerces the victims into sycophantic behavior towards the user. Dread Presence inspires fear and revulsion and forces its victims to retreat from the user.
            IF you see, You avoid....
            You also actively avoid an obfucate user.....

Furthermore Obfuscate is broken just for physical attacks.

@Horodrigo: Yes I think you can use obfuscate with Dread Presence but you cannot with Awe.

Comment

Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
              Originally posted by Tessie View Post
              The feeling of dread is noticeable but whom it's directed towards is described as subconscious. You'll probably notice who's using Dread Presence if your attention already is on the user, but it won't draw your attention like Awe.
              I'm using the book's description and wording. My expansion on it explains how it can be unnoticed (when you're not focusing on the person who activated Dread Presence and thus won't use WP against them anyway) and when it is noticed (when you're focusing on them and thus notice that you're reacting directly to the person you're focusing on).

Comment

Originally posted by Horodrigo View Post
                If I need to lash out against the vampire, how exactly does it work when the vampire using Nightmare can also be using high levels of Obfuscate?
                Lashing out isn't like firing a bullet at someone, in this case it's more like a shield in response to an attack, a psychic attack. Your beast buffers you against the dread imposed by Nightmare, protecting you from the effects but not revealing where they are coming from.

Onyx Path Moderator
                Mod Voice is RED*
                *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
                Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Rose explained in the previous thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X