Blood Sorcery: Rites of Damnation on the Storytellers Vault

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Sorcery: Rites of Damnation on the Storytellers Vault

For those that don't follow the Vault thread in the main Chronicles of Darkness forum, I figured I'd post this here:

https://www.storytellersvault.com/pr...s-of-Damnation

"Blood Sorcery: Rites of Damnation takes the systems presented in Blood Sorcery: Sacraments and Blasphemies, and updates them for 2nd edition, expanding upon the improvised ritual systems provided in every way. There’s more Themes, more rituals, more options, and more systems defined for it, and of course, more Risk to enacting these dark magics. It includes:
    • A complete redevelopment of Blood Sorcery, providing them with a “single roll” ritual system that allows for improvised rituals, studied rites, and mastered miracles, providing more options than ever before.
    • New and updated rituals and Merits, including a simplified system for Threnodies; magic that any Kindred can tap into by ritualizing their Disciplines.
    • Three unique forms of Blood Sorcery used by cults, bloodlines, or those seeking power from whatever source they can find."

In essence, it's a 2e update of Sacraments and Blasphemies, allowing for more options while removing a few issues the old system had or didn't account for. And yes, it takes some cues from Mage 2e instead of Mage 1e.

WoD: Sorcerer's Companion (M:tA)
    CofD: Second Sight: Third Eye (CofD), Crossing the Veil 2e (Co-developer, CofD), Borrowed Power (CofD), Blood Sorcery: Rites of Damnation (VtR), Ephemeral Influence (CofD)
    My Patreon!

Having not looked at it yet, would you comment on how portable it might be to an effort for representing a proper VtR-ing of Tremere blood sorcery paths?

Thanks
    --Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
      Having not looked at it yet, would you comment on how portable it might be to an effort for representing a proper VtR-ing of Tremere blood sorcery paths?

Thanks
      --Khanwulf
      Well, it's both good and bad for it. Good because it can easily provide mechanics for nearly all of the Tremere paths (minus a few exceptions based on the limits of Blood Sorcery). Bad because it's a more open ended system, rather than providing specific Paths to go off of like owod Blood Sorcery. It brings a touch of Mage's open-endedness to rituals, although keeps them lengthy, visceral, and (usually) anchored within physical reality.

But you could, say, use this system to create "Thaumaturgy" as the Ritual Discipline, with some hermetic style Motifs (the thematics a Ritual Discipline has to follow for its effects, and the mechanical advantage you get for doing so) and then have Paths be represented by groupings of Mastered rituals (rituals that are cast in the span of a half minute or so instead of a half hour, but cost a fair bit of XP for each), perhaps something that's granted more easily to them as part of how their magic works.

CofD: Second Sight: Third Eye (CofD), Crossing the Veil 2e (Co-developer, CofD), Borrowed Power (CofD), Blood Sorcery: Rites of Damnation (VtR), Ephemeral Influence (CofD)
      My Patreon!

Comment

Really glad wanted a Safer version of pool of forbidden truths a while.

Comment

Originally posted by falco1029 View Post

Well, it's both good and bad for it. Good because it can easily provide mechanics for nearly all of the Tremere paths (minus a few exceptions based on the limits of Blood Sorcery). Bad because it's a more open ended system, rather than providing specific Paths to go off of like owod Blood Sorcery. It brings a touch of Mage's open-endedness to rituals, although keeps them lengthy, visceral, and (usually) anchored within physical reality.

But you could, say, use this system to create "Thaumaturgy" as the Ritual Discipline, with some hermetic style Motifs (the thematics a Ritual Discipline has to follow for its effects, and the mechanical advantage you get for doing so) and then have Paths be represented by groupings of Mastered rituals (rituals that are cast in the span of a half minute or so instead of a half hour, but cost a fair bit of XP for each), perhaps something that's granted more easily to them as part of how their magic works.

So... might I characterize it as a set of building blocks from which one could successfully define a set of path "rituals" to accomplish desired game effects? Your comment about treating path results as mini-rituals is actually very interesting.

This is all just a point that I've been pondering for years, and haven't really seen a 2e solution to yet. So: intriguing. (And yes, a direct port of all WoD paths is an exceptionally unwise thing to do as they would flat-out break the setting rules. Lure of Flames for example.)

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

So... might I characterize it as a set of building blocks from which one could successfully define a set of path "rituals" to accomplish desired game effects? Your comment about treating path results as mini-rituals is actually very interesting.

This is all just a point that I've been pondering for years, and haven't really seen a 2e solution to yet. So: intriguing. (And yes, a direct port of all WoD paths is an exceptionally unwise thing to do as they would flat-out break the setting rules. Lure of Flames for example.)

--Khanwulf
            Yeah, you could easily use the systems for something like that. To oversimplify it, if your rating's high enough, you can do anything your "Themes" say you can do, which is fairly wide and varied, so long as they fit the thematics for the Discipline, and then you can also buy rituals individually as learned (higher dice pool, safer casting) or Mastered (quicker casting time, measured in a few turns by default).

And yeah, stuff like Lure of Flames is mostly out of reach. Minus some very very specific exceptions documented in the book....

My Patreon!

Comment

So any reviews for this yet? I personally don't fancy the idea of dropping 15$ for what is essentially a book of homebrew without knowing how good the quality is or how much it changes from first edition.

My Bloodline conversions
              My House rules

Comment

its an ok book... Though I think it could use a few more Threnodys...

And not sure what a 'Step' is is it just additional succeses?

Comment

Originally posted by Griautis View Post
                  So any reviews for this yet? I personally don't fancy the idea of dropping 15$ for what is essentially a book of homebrew without knowing how good the quality is or how much it changes from first edition.
                  There's a review on the Vault page and some ratings.

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                  its an ok book... Though I think it could use a few more Threnodys...

And not sure what a 'Step' is is it just additional succeses?
                  Threnodies weren't meant to be a main focus of the book, but it's not too hard to make more for them. Maybe I can work up a free little add on with a few more of them.

As for steps: "For each dot in the primary Theme of the ritual above the first, and for each additional -2 penalty taken in the casting dice pool, one step above the basic success can be applied to one of the factors below"
                  It's just the term used for increasing ritual factors, gained with penalties or by having a high Theme rating.

My Patreon!

Comment

Ok to make Stolen Vitae last a week, I'd have to add 1 extra step.

That means -2 to my penalty?
                    But it also means I wont have to use the ritual again for a whole nother week.

making it last a month is bad.... as few kindred could survive that long without taking in new Vitae...

But if Im a BP 6+ Member of the circle I need to feed somehow.

Comment

For anyone that's gotten this, and likes to do strange bits of crossover like me, I've added a post on my Patreon with Fae Sorcery, which is Blood Sorcery using Rites of Damnation's systems along with some Changeling 2e crossover bits (like Goblin Debt).

https://www.patreon.com/posts/fae-sorcery-25860322

My Patreon!

Comment

Working...
                      X