No announcement yet.

Are Strix playable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’d say a Strix becomes playable when it fuses with a human body and results in a vampire. Before that you could sort of play one, but the rules aren’t really amenable, and, more importantly, they’re completely inhuman, so a lot of the point of the game is lost. Not unlike playing a Draugr (which is arguably an embodied Strix).

Comment

Originally posted by Black Flag View Post
      I’d say a Strix becomes playable when it fuses with a human body and results in a vampire. Before that you could sort of play one, but the rules aren’t really amenable, and, more importantly, they’re completely inhuman, so a lot of the point of the game is lost. Not unlike playing a Draugr (which is arguably an embodied Strix).

Honestly unless your embodied strix has the flaw of gluttony or wrath (and, even then), they're more collected and reasonable than Draugr are. Those are people totally lost to the Beast and only able to reason with basic hunting instincts. They do not have access [conscious choice in use of] to the more mental Disciplines and are motivated by the basic desires of food and safety. The low cunning some show is not the sort of malevolence the strix are known to engage in.

That said, strix vary a great deal, and some are closer to Draugr for sure.

--Khanwulf

Edit: Fair enough Tessie. On reflection I seem to recall a Draugr could use something like Dominate in order to pin down prey long enough to close and seal the attack.
      Last edited by Khanwulf; 01-31-2019, 12:53 PM. Reason: Because eating crow lets you turn into one, later.

Comment

Small nitpick: Draugr still have access to all their (non-Blood Sorcery) Disciplines. They are just highly unlikely to ever use them.
        But yeah, Strix supposedly being the disembodied Beasts of Kindred is just something they say to rile Kindred up. It's possible there exists some kind of feral Strix that are also reduced to base instincts just like a draugr, but those would be an exception. The average Strix is more than capable of higher reasoning.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

One of the defining characteristics of the Strix is that they're alien and inscrutable. Playing them, while possible, would dispel a lot of that.

Comment

I might allow it for a one shot. The catch is that you get no beats.

Comment

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
              I might allow it for a one shot. The catch is that you get no beats.
              If it’s a one shot, experience gains are irrelevant anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post
                One of the defining characteristics of the Strix is that they're alien and inscrutable. Playing them, while possible, would dispel a lot of that.

Honestly doesn't seem like it would be much different from Unchained Demon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

Honestly doesn't seem like it would be much different from Unchained Demon.
                  The Unchained have to play into humanity for survival and were already designed to interface with humanity to begin with at a minimum, and often Fall and subsequently motivated by human connections and experiences. They're human enough that the ways they differ is basically within range enough that a human roleplaying as one is close enough that all you need to do to properly get it is flip the perspective on why the minor oddnesses of inhumanity are there.

The Strix don't have any of that and as such lean heavily into their alien instincts and spiral outwards at odd angles for that. Without something to root them in humanity, their cruelty, malice, and ambitions are allowed to just get weird, and that's before accounting that they universally have something (of one sort or another) against humanity. That's a far cry from the PC Demon experience, which is fair-they are completely different games, as demons have to hide and interact with humanity to get things done while the Strix are Gleeful Abandon and Inhumanity incarnate, with a bare minimum requirement to hide and otherwise a whole lot of freedom to fuck around with anyone however they want.

Being blunt, asides from dispelling that alien malice, it's also just an obnoxious mindset to have on the players side of things. Characters that behave like the Strix invariably interrupt and often frustrate the player group-they're kind of troll characters on the PC side. They work as antagonists because of the way they are controlled and ideally used as sparingly as the story needs, but as protagonists, the character type just sucks for anything resembling a cohesive gaming experience.

So....no, this doesn't hold water.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
                  Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Unrelated, the answer to "How do I portray Bram Stoker's version of Dracula in Requiem exactly?" is "By doing it."

Literally, just do it. grab what you need, slap it together, and then just do it.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
                    Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

You could just let vampires go out in the sun, but keep the daysleep rules.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                        So....no, this doesn't hold water.
                        I don't know, I feel like you could do something kind of interesting in a one-on-one and a lot of time-jumps. Some of the suggested origins are "cracks in the deep dark places of the world, coalescing out of the blood of massed graves, final breath of murder victims, funeral pyre smoke of murderers." (bolded options are where I think are RPable when combined with vindictiveness).

Example: I have a Strix that in my current game that I've got associated with babies (a lot of old vampire stories seem to just be about SIDs). So my headcannon is that a long time ago a plague hit some Indonesian village and wiped out the youngest generation.

So take a bunch of people with no coping skills or ability to understand what is happening and have them die painfully. Then take the negative emotions -- anger and outrage and loss and want -- and distill it into a single insubstantial demon owl. All you can do is watch and feed and scream. You're brand new, and don't have any memories. You feel drawn to people and places of warmth and care. You don't know why, but seeing loving parents drives you into a jealous rage. Nobody wants you. If you run into other Strix, they try to eat you. As time passes, you don't really hold on to memories so much as... emotional sediment.

I think it's got the makings of a a good story. Each scene is at least a few years apart. Do a handful of sessions, each skips forward about a century. Play it from bereft baby Strixling to evil mastermind with no memory of its origins.

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post
                          Another defining characteristic is that each one is unique therefore understanding one is not an understanding of any other Strix.

Comment

No, the Strix are not designed to be playable. It would also be counter to the setting material for them to be so.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                              No, the Strix are not designed to be playable. It would also be counter to the setting material for them to be so.
                              it would require major Rule c hanges

Someones probably coming up with a storytellers vault supplement as we speak.

A strix bound by some kind of sorcery, or unique discipline would be fun to see in action to 'remote embrace'

or posses a revenant in a enemy city to s tart organizing a Coup against the current Regime.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post

it would require major Rule c hanges

Someones probably coming up with a storytellers vault supplement as we speak.

A strix bound by some kind of sorcery, or unique discipline would be fun to see in action to 'remote embrace'

or posses a revenant in a enemy city to s tart organizing a Coup against the current Regime.
                                The Prince needs to be kidnapped, are you a bad enough Strix to do the deed?

Comment

Working...
                                X