Working on Hybrid Julii Bloodlines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on Hybrid Julii Bloodlines

So, Requiem for Rome presents one Julii Bloodline, which is shared with the Nosferatu; the Licinii. In addition, it seems likely that Macellarius Corbulo has a connection to the Ventrue's own Macellarius Bloodline, though that might be because of the ambiguous relationship between the Founders and Lords.
    I liked the idea that every Julii Bloodline was shared with another Clan, however, which lead me to get to work on creating some from scratch and updating those that already existed in First Edition. Still, I might need some help with that.

---
    Encolpii

-o-o-o-
    Nickname: Gluttons
    Clan: Julii (or Ventrue)
    Bloodline Bane: The older and more potent a Glutton gets, the larger and more obese he grows until he can hardly move without help. Subtract the Encolpius' Blood Potency dots from his speed and half his Blood Potency dots from his passive defense, rounded up.
    Bloodline Disciplines: Dominate, Resilience, Protean, Vigor
    -o-o-o-
    Gustus
    The Encolpius' devour both flesh and blood in order to satisy their endless appetites, the unique nature of their bloodline allowing them to digest raw meat, which is transformed into Vitae within their undead bellies. An Encolpius gains one point of Vitae for every Size of human flesh eaten, which must be fresh (less than a day dead) and raw; they may also devour Vampire or Werewolf flesh, which grant two points of Vitae for every Size.
    Additionally, the Glutton can temporarily store excess Vitae in his fat, adding his Stamina dots to his Vitae capacity for a single scene. If this Vitae is not spent before the end of that scene, it will be painfully regurgitated, each point of Vitae causing one point of Bashing Damage.
    At Blood Potency 6 and above, the Glutton can store excess Vitae for a full night, rather than a single scene.
    ---
    ---
    Licinii

-o-o-o-
    Nickname: Pretenders
    Clan: Julii or Nosferatu
    Bloodline Bane: Licinii suffer the clan banes of both the Julii and the Nosferatu, though they only suffer the elder clan bane of their original clan.
    Bloodline Disciplines: Dominate, Nightmare, Resilience, Vigor
    -o-o-o-
    Gift: ???
    ((Remains uncertain, I haven't been able to figure out anything that fits. In First Edition, they were sort of one of those Bloodlines that were all weakness, save the added Discipline, I guess.))
    ---
    ---
    Larentii
    The Larentii are defined by their blood ties to the Uratha, men and women who take the form of wolves and walk the boundaries between the mortal realm and that of the Gods. They claim that Remus bore Uratha blood (or may have even been one himself) and arose as the first Dead Wolf, with all the Julii outside the bloodline simply being too weak or otherwise impure to inherit the full powers of their ancestor. Few other Julii believe these stories, of course, as Julius Senex himself is known to have asserted they were naught but lies, but the Larentii remain as a bridge between the Camarilla and the Uratha, still insisting that they are the true heirs of Remus.
    Interestingly, the Gangrel seem to be just as capable of being inducted or Embraced into the bloodline as the Julii, though few among the the Founder Dead Wolves are willing to accept the Wanderers as their kin.
    -o-o-o-
    Nickname: Dead Wolves
    Clan: Gangrel or Julii
    Bloodline Bane: The Laurentii are bound by blood to the Uratha and thus suffer from some of their particular vulnerabilities. Dead Wolves experience intense pain from the slightest touch of silver, with weapons forged of the metal dealing Aggravated Damage, as if they were a Werewolf.
    Bloodline Disciplines: Animalism, Protean, Resilience, Vigor
    -o-o-o-
    Gift: Sublunario
    ((I've got no idea how I would go about bringing this forward into Second Edition, but it probably needs to be greatly altered from its original setup.))
    ---
    ---

Lucretii
    The Lucretii are a bloodline known for hedonistic overindulgence, born from the mixing of Daeva and Julii blood. They are stereotypically seen as friendly and energetic, making them into the life of any party they attend, but some among their number have proven to be particularly prone to ennui, struggling to find meaning in their Requiems beyond the pursuit of pleasure.
    The Hedonists claim descent from the famous couple, Cassius Lucretius Agrippa (believed to be among the first patricians Embraced into Clan Daeva) and Lucia Julia Tacita, who began their line by Embracing their first Childer together during a party celebrating their love in the middle of the second century BC. Unfortunately, Agrippa died in the Great Fire of Rome, while Tacita entered Torpor shortly after and may never wake up.
    In modern nights, there are more Daeva Lucretii than Julii, with the majority of them claiming a place in the Ala Senecta, though some are dedicated Vaticinators of the Cult of Augurs and there are rumours that a few of them are sympathetic to the Sanctified.
    -o-o-o-
    Nickname: Hedonists
    Clan: Daeva or Julii
    Bloodline Bane: The Lucretii must consume twice the amount of blood in order to gain a point of Vitae when feeding, regardless of whether or not the blood is fresh; this explicitly does not apply to the Vitae of other Vampires. Interestingly, most Lucretii don’t see this is a curse, as it affords them more opportunities to indulge their lust for blood.
    Bloodline Disciplines: Celerity, Dominate, Majesty, Vigor
    -o-o-o-
    Gift: Vivacitas
    Thanks to their indulgent diet and the unique properties of their blood, the Lucretii appear more lifelike than nearly any other Clan or Bloodline. They always benefit from the effects of the Blush of Life, without cost, and their Humanity is considered to be two dots higher for the purpose of relating to Humans.
    ---

So yeah, the Encolpii are Macellarius, but I don't know about the name. I don't know how balanced they are.
    The Larentii are named after 'Acca Larentia', the wife of the shepherd that adopted Romulus and Remus, who may have been a Werewolf according to Dark Eras. I like to think the Mexican Dead Wolves are descended from a surviving member of this Bloodline, though I don't know whether it's more interesting if said survivor is Gangrel or Julii.
    The Lucretii are an embodiment of Rome's excess and hedonism. I'm quite pleased with them, but I don't know if their Gift is a bit weak considering their Bane.

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Well, honestly my impression has always been that the Licinii are actually the weird fruit of someone being embraced by a strix-possesed Verme/Nosferatu impostor - and the Julii themselves obviously made no such correlation, otherwise it's a sure bet the "cursed line" would have been destroyed long before the Camarilla's fall.

So while this kind of bloodlines certainly existed, the self-awareness, others or their own, of their "mixed heritage" would be something between debatable to improbable, depending on circunstances.

Comment

So, the original version of the Licinii was in Requiem for Rome, the same book that first introduced the Strix. In that book, one of the Dread Powers a Strix could have involved creating childer: by putting a bit of Vitae in a corpse's mouth, and spending a dot of willpower (the normal cost for the Embrace in 1e), they would create a new childe of clan Julii. In other words, it's hinted pretty heavily that the Strix created the Julii, but probably not the other clans.

Now, the Strix also hated the Julii—that's something that hasn't changed in 2e. So one particular Strix got the idea to take over the body of a hapless torpid Nosferatu and use its Vitae to create a new childe. The childe had Dominate and Resilience in-clan, but also Nightmare and Vigor, and suffered from both the Julii and the Nosferatu banes. And, crucially, she read as Julii when someone tasted her blood or checked through blood sympathy. (She also had sympathy to the Nosferatu, but the Camarilla didn't bother checking that.) And thus, the Licinii were born, as a project to undermine the credibility of the Camarilla and rot it out from the inside.

In 2e, of course, the Strix can't create vampires on a whim any more, and certainly can't create Julii out of thin air. But perhaps, back in the days of Rome, Licinia Piso wasn't the only experiment this particular Strix tried…

Comment

Also, this inspired me to post my own writeup of the Licinii. Let me know what you think; I figured they deserved something good to make up for their bane.

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
          So, the original version of the Licinii was in Requiem for Rome, the same book that first introduced the Strix. In that book, one of the Dread Powers a Strix could have involved creating childer: by putting a bit of Vitae in a corpse's mouth, and spending a dot of willpower (the normal cost for the Embrace in 1e), they would create a new childe of clan Julii. In other words, it's hinted pretty heavily that the Strix created the Julii, but probably not the other clans.

Now, the Strix also hated the Julii—that's something that hasn't changed in 2e. So one particular Strix got the idea to take over the body of a hapless torpid Nosferatu and use its Vitae to create a new childe. The childe had Dominate and Resilience in-clan, but also Nightmare and Vigor, and suffered from both the Julii and the Nosferatu banes. And, crucially, she read as Julii when someone tasted her blood or checked through blood sympathy. (She also had sympathy to the Nosferatu, but the Camarilla didn't bother checking that.) And thus, the Licinii were born, as a project to undermine the credibility of the Camarilla and rot it out from the inside.

In 2e, of course, the Strix can't create vampires on a whim any more, and certainly can't create Julii out of thin air. But perhaps, back in the days of Rome, Licinia Piso wasn't the only experiment this particular Strix tried…

Well, one thing to account for is that the Strix of modern times might not be the same species of monsters as the nemeses from Requiem for Rome.
          Much like one might mistake a Ventrue for a Jullii - or even a Daeva (that does happen in the clanbook) - out of ignorance and lack of evidence on the contrary.

And i very much suspect Licinia Piso was far from the only one too.

Comment

Working...
          X