Poll: Favorite Covenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Favorite Covenant

I'm actually rather curious as to what Vampire the Requiem Second Edition covenant is the most popular. So please take a second to vote and feel free to discuss below!

Which Vampire the Requiem 2e covenant is your favorite if you have to pick just one?

The poll:
    https://www.strawpoll.me/17432327

Mine is the Ordo Dracul.

The reason I like the Ordo Dracul is because it's Dracula's covenant and they have, in my opinion, the most optimistic and amendable outlook on unlife out of all the covenants. They don't just accept who and what they are, they don't just try to live with or rationalize their Damnation like the Lancea et Sanctum does, they don't fill their Requiem with politics that lack any intrinsic value. They actually go out and do something about their curse, trying to improve themselves, and actually do it. It's not just empty words or hollow ideals with the Ordo Dracul, they actually, empirically, managed to change their curse, through hard work and dedication. That's super amazing in my opinion.
    I always looked at the Ordo Dracul as Ayn Rand's Objectivism applied to vampires, and I can dig that.

From the get go I've been behind the Ordo Dracul. Both secular and mystical, with my favorite philosophy of not dealing with vampirism, but transcending it into a greater creature. I love the Coils and all the rping elements it brings. I've played two short campaigns pf Requiem, and both times were Ordo, and if I could get a game in I don't see that changing. Ordo Dracul for Unlife!

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Sandman (Neil Gaiman)

Comment

Lancea et sanctum here. It would probably be a good transition of my in my life faithful beliefs to a broader meaningful metaphysic.

Comment

also a lancea sanctum fan. I love the fact they give vampires something to believe in, and to feel they have a role in their undead humanity besides degradation into a mindless monster

Comment

It used to be the Carthians (who I still have a great deal of affection for), but now it's somewhere between the Sanctified and Ordo. I love hypocritical religious vampires, and transhumanist monsters. I'd probably give the Dragons the edge, though, because that's what I tend to default to when I can't think of anything else to play.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
          Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

I'd have to say that my favorite covenant is the Invictus, closely followed by the Lancea et Sanctum. Both are the oldest of modern covenants, and I think an immortal would appreciate something that would last as long as they would. I personally lean more towards the Invictus because I think their focus on using all possible resources (technology, money, favors, blood) to achieve their goals, and I can really respect that. Also I think the system of Oaths is actually really neat, it being one of the more subtle ways to power among the covenants.

Comment

The Crone (which is somehow the second most popular as of this post and has no posts about it). They're the only Covenant that preaches self-acceptance rather than trying to be what you aren't. Also a big fan of the pagan angle.

Comment

As far as favorite to play, either the Lance or the Circle. I like adding the additional occultishness of blood based magic (which it all is, even if its not all called blood sorcery) to the experience of being a vampire.
                As far as the one I respect most and think is most practical (and thus the one I voted for), the Invictus. It ultimately IMO holds vampire society together more than any of the other covenants, and there is something extremely honest about it - not that its members don't lie like dogs would lie if dogs weren't more honest than humans, but that the basic philosophy behind it is honest. There is ultimately nothing at the base of the Invictus beyond this idea "you and I both want what we want. We may work together, or we may come to blows, but, taking into account the fact that you and I both eat people, will not die of old age, and are surrounded by others like us, lets try to set up a system that lets us all work toward what we want (as individuals) without burning everything down". You can believe what you want, and try to convince others to believe what you want, or not as long as you play by these rules. Of course, because its members are ageless in a changing world, the invictus becomes increasingly stifling to the young and needlessly (?) complex, but it is what it is. And any covenant that lasts long term will either have to become like the Invictus, or end up being at least partly dependent on such a covenant to maintain order. The invicutus may use other covenants, but it doesn't depend on them.
                YMMV

Comment

I like the Invictus. Newes has mostly summed it up, but what really made them for me was the introduction of oaths and the idea (along with Carthian law) that there was magic in the social order and it would enforce itself if you tapped into that.

That's... that's an incredibly powerful base concept and I see too few people bringing it up.

Anyway, if you're doing a social order you need contracts in order to enforce it and help individuals who don't trust each other... trust each other. Personal word is one form of contract. Law is another. There are other forms of social contract out there that have not yet been expressed in VtR but I hope they will be.

Other than Invictus I do like the Ordo. I mean--they're just so creepy and wacky and the idea of overcoming your flaws is incredibly meta-appealing to most players. (Self included.) Plus, the coils and scales make an excellent template for accomplishing inward-facing magic that otherwise doesn't fit as a Discipline or blood sorcery.

--Khanwulf

Comment

When I first began to get into the setting I honestly thought the Ordo would be my favorite. It is currently my *Least* favorite. To be fair to the Covenant a lot of that is related to certain out of game things I've seen favor it. But even from an in-universe standpoint I find the idea of transcendence boring. Mad Science and Coils didn't grab my attention like I thought they would.

I found myself drawn to two Covenants that at the start I thought would do nothing for me. Namely the Sanctum and the Circle. That was a rather big surprise for me since I"m about as irreligious as you can get in the real world but the idea of exploring a monster that struggles with and comes to rely on their own faith and the power that can bring has been freaking intoxicating.

Comment

Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post

Mine is the Ordo Dracul.

The reason I like the Ordo Dracul is because it's Dracula's covenant and they have, in my opinion, the most optimistic and amendable outlook on unlife out of all the covenants. They don't just accept who and what they are, they don't just try to live with or rationalize their Damnation like the Lancea et Sanctum does, they don't fill their Requiem with politics that lack any intrinsic value. They actually go out and do something about their curse, trying to improve themselves, and actually do it. It's not just empty words or hollow ideals with the Ordo Dracul, they actually, empirically, managed to change their curse, through hard work and dedication. That's super amazing in my opinion.
                      Pretty much the same reasons why I like them the most, too. The Ordo Dracul holds the promise that the various downsides of the Kindred condition can be rectified or at least sufficiently mitigated and while I’m not a fan of the “Spitting in the eye of God” thing (I don’t believe in God) I find the idea of using scientific methods to analyze the Kindred condition and overcoming the downsides of being a vampire very intriguing. I really have a hard time seeing any other path worth taking.

Comment

I at first was drawn to the Ordo for their mad science and drive to transcend the curse, and the Crone for their acceptance of what they are and general blood magic. Since 2E though I've grown to like the Invictus and Lance for their stability and the order they bring to the whole society.

Overall I would say the Ordo is still my favorite though, and their drive to make a more perfect monster.
                        Last edited by Rathamus; 02-24-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Invictus for me. They are the only one who make sense to me as an individual, between the Masquerade protection and the Oaths swearing. For me, it's like the other covenants take for granted that the social order and the secret will protect themselves. I'm just not taking this chance. Also, not lying, but having money is good too.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonChrno View Post
                            Invictus for me. They are the only one who make sense to me as an individual, between the Masquerade protection and the Oaths swearing. For me, it's like the other covenants take for granted that the social order and the secret will protect themselves. I'm just not taking this chance. Also, not lying, but having money is good too.

I don't think the other covenants take it for granted, I think they've either decided to let the Invictus handle that because they're already handling that, or they handle it themselves in their own ways. The Ordo Dracul has the Sworn of the Axe to keep their secrets secret. The Lancea et Sanctum has their Inquisitors to do the same thing. The Carthian Movement are all about hiding in plain sight, I'd argue they are the masters of integrating into human society without humanity being any the wiser. The only covenant who seems to be taking it for granted is the Circle of the Crone, but even they understand that vampires are the types of predators who work best from the shadows.

To paraphrase Nines from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines: "we don't need some Camarilla to tell us that we need to keep our existence a secret, that shit is just common sense." The same could be said about the Invictus. Their value does not lie in their ability to uphold the Masquerade, because domains without the Invictus exist and clearly those domains do just fine (as far as vampire domains can do "fine").

The value of the Invictus lies in the other part you mentioned: their oaths. More specifically, the Invictus, with their influence and oaths, is really well equipped to keep law and order in a society of bloodsucking monsters. Their ability to enforce the domain's law and keep a bunch of immortal monsters in line, is what makes the Invictus a valuable covenant to have around, unless you're a Carthian, then you'd probably argue that your covenant is better at enforcing vampire law than the Invictus is. I personally don't think the Carthians are better at enforcing Kindred law, they're not worse either, they just have different methods that inherently class with the Invictus's methods, hence these two covenants are always feuding. They're kinda like the Democrats/Liberals vs the Republicans/Conservatives in that sense, they're two opposing sides of the same coin, who have the same goal, but different ideals and methods, and which one you think is better comes down to personal preference.
                            Last edited by Ventrue Life; 02-25-2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I thought that was what was interesting about the Invictus. The secret will clearly keep itself but they get their power from claiming to protect it anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X