No announcement yet.

Poll: Favorite Covenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lance. They don't simply rationalise their Damnation. They can literally pray and 'miracles' happen. It's difficult to not imagine getting sucked in by their dogma when the miracle-workers we crack jokes about in real life, healing others by laying hands on them, truly exist within this covenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
      The Lance. They don't simply rationalise their Damnation. They can literally pray and 'miracles' happen. It's difficult to not imagine getting sucked in by their dogma when the miracle-workers we crack jokes about in real life, healing others by laying hands on them, truly exist within this covenant.
      Their "we are chosen by God to be the jailors of His fallen world, punishing the sinners in it" outlook is definitely them trying to rationalize their Damnation and an excuse to be monstrous.

Their miracles are undeniable, but are the truly a gift from God, or simply another form of blood magick, like Cruac? Or is it a gift from a much more sinister force? Nobody knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post

Their "we are chosen by God to be the jailors of His fallen world, punishing the sinners in it" outlook is definitely them trying to rationalize their Damnation and an excuse to be monstrous.

Their miracles are undeniable, but are the truly a gift from God, or simply another form of blood magick, like Cruac? Or is it a gift from a much more sinister force? Nobody knows.
        I wouldnt say its merely used as an excuse, many of them have genuine faith. if it was they may as well join the circle. they focus their monstrosity on those they believe deserve it. while it IS a rationalization, it's not merely an excuse to be a monster

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

I wouldnt say its merely used as an excuse, many of them have genuine faith. if it was they may as well join the circle. they focus their monstrosity on those they believe deserve it. while it IS a rationalization, it's not merely an excuse to be a monster

Sure, some have genuine faith, but you'd be hard pressed if you tried to convince me that there aren't many in the Sanctum who use it as an excuse to be dicks. The reason why such vampires would prefer the Sanctum over the Circle is because the Circle doesn't try to make things look prettier. The Circle is more like "yeah, I'm a monster, but it isn't all bad, I'm kinda at the top of the food chain now, that's a plus", while the Sanctum is "I'm allowed to be a monster, nay, I'm even supposed to be a monster, and I don't even have to feel bad about it, because God told me so!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, depending how cynical you wanna be about it, the Sanctum tries to shift the responsibility of their shitty behavior to God, while the Circle takes full responsibility for their own shitty behavior. It takes a certain amount of balls or callousness to do what the Circle does, while any coward can do what the Sanctum does.

To clarify: it might sound based on this post like I hate the Lancea et Sanctum. I don't. As a player and storyteller I love the Sanctum. But looking at the Sanctum from an irreligious perspective, it does look like the covenant that attracts the most cowards and dicks who look for an excuse to be monsters without feeling guilty about it.

Comment

Sure, some have genuine faith, but you'd be hard pressed if you tried to convince me that there aren't many in the Sanctum who use it as an excuse to be dicks. The reason why such vampires would prefer the Sanctum over the Circle is because the Circle doesn't try to make things look prettier. The Circle is more like "yeah, I'm a monster, but it isn't all bad, I'm kinda at the top of the food chain now, that's a plus", while the Sanctum is "I'm allowed to be a monster, nay, I'm even supposed to be a monster, and I don't even have to feel bad about it, because God told me so!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, depending how cynical you wanna be about it, the Sanctum tries to shift the responsibility of their shitty behavior to God, while the Circle takes full responsibility for their own shitty behavior. It takes a certain amount of balls or callousness to do what the Circle does, while any coward can do what the Sanctum does.

To clarify: it might sound based on this post like I hate the Lancea et Sanctum. I don't. As a player and storyteller I love the Sanctum. But looking at the Sanctum from an irreligious perspective, it does look like the covenant that attracts the most cowards and dicks who look for an excuse to be monsters without feeling guilty about it.
            on that last part, no offense taken. I didnt think you hated them. anyway, i too like the circle. as you said it does take balls to admit that you really are a monster.

however, in many other perspectives, it can be said that the crone is used as an excuse go into depravity and ditch human connection (I know this sounds like an echo of just accepting what they are, but it also cant be denied that many only join to be horrible, excuse responsibility, and to act as if they never had a human life).

As for many joint the sanctum for selfish reasons, I agree with that too, in fact, I think many long time members have no genuine belief (I actually like the idea that converts of other covenants are often the most faithful). but I do think just as many are not only faithful, but do what they can to manage their monstrosity. not only that, but they provide services to help vampires maintain humanity.

finally, I see the same with the crone. there are just as many that genuinely see themselves as true monsters, and as a result explore the vampiric condition and themselves in truly enlightening ways. (also thanks for being civil. I'm sorry if I dont seem to be)

Comment

The Circle of the Crone. Self-honesty and realistic approach to self in undeath, fuck-the-world attitude, and blood sorcery asides, their monstrosity also hides a great humanity to it, deeper and purer than you might get by pursuing humanity directly. "Holy wisdom is not clear and thin like water, but thick and dark like blood" indeed.

After them, Carthians, then the Ordo.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
              Out of Nation from 5/22 to 5/29

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
                The Lance. They don't simply rationalise their Damnation.
                Can't rationalise what isn't there, and if there be a God, it's a thousand times more damnable then any person be.

If building better worlds puts you at odds with the gods of reality, then your obligation is to become the devil.
                Last edited by ArcaneArts; 03-01-2019, 03:27 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

on that last part, no offense taken. I didnt think you hated them. anyway, i too like the circle. as you said it does take balls to admit that you really are a monster.

however, in many other perspectives, it can be said that the crone is used as an excuse go into depravity and ditch human connection (I know this sounds like an echo of just accepting what they are, but it also cant be denied that many only join to be horrible, excuse responsibility, and to act as if they never had a human life).

As for many joint the sanctum for selfish reasons, I agree with that too, in fact, I think many long time members have no genuine belief (I actually like the idea that converts of other covenants are often the most faithful). but I do think just as many are not only faithful, but do what they can to manage their monstrosity. not only that, but they provide services to help vampires maintain humanity.

finally, I see the same with the crone. there are just as many that genuinely see themselves as true monsters, and as a result explore the vampiric condition and themselves in truly enlightening ways. (also thanks for being civil. I'm sorry if I dont seem to be)

Nah man it's all good, I did not mean to offend nor did I take any offense. And I actually agree with with almost everything you said. It's of course true that if you want to become a successful member of the priesthood and be able to cast Theban Sorcery, you need to keep your mental faculties in check. That means you need at the very least a modicum of Humanity. In other words, you can't be too monstrous, and you have to be sensible about your monstrous existence, else you will never master the craft of Theban Sorcery. That is of course an entirely practical reason to keep your Humanity in tact. I'm sure there are also plenty of spiritual reasons too. Of course not every neonate is going to care about that, but any vampire worth something should.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    Can't rationalise what isn't there, and if there be a God, it's a thousand times more damnable then any person be.

If building better worlds puts you at odds with the gods of reality, then your obligation is to become the devil.

Genuine question: What does "building better worlds" mean from a Acolyte perspective? Because personally I can't see it. The Circle of the Crone seems to be the most conservative, most stagnant, most nihilistic covenant out there. Not to mention, they put the Man and the Masquerade on the line for the sake of worshipping their Beast. They're really only two steps away from Belial's Brood if you ask me. The one saving grace that keeps them from going full Belial's Brood? They genuinely seem to care about history, knowledge and ancient wisdom, and try to collect and preserve the knowledge that humanity has lost or forsaken through the ages. That's the one thing that keeps these witches civil and that's why they often get along well with the Ordo Dracul.

So what better world, and who are they building it for?

Comment

Sure, some have genuine faith, but you'd be hard pressed if you tried to convince me that there aren't many in the Sanctum who use it as an excuse to be dicks.
                      I love these types of WoD philosophical discussions. Thanks for sharing your outlook.

I went to Catholic School but my own religious outlook eventually gelled into Atheism. As such, the Spear for most of my gaming life has been my least favorite and that seems to be a pretty common attitude for gamers with western liberal educations. It took me a long time to really give the Spear a fair shake and I pretty much ran them like simple hypocrites and indulgent monsters.

Later in life I attended a few religious events which did nothing to make me question my own atheism, but did give me a new respect for the power of community ritual. There's something about being united in a rite like that which can produce actual feelings of a high. I look at it more from a psychological than supernatural perspective, but now I can at least understand why people might attribute that energy to something like the Holy Spirit.

I think you are missing out on a ton of religious narratives if you boil down the majority/average Sanctified to the priest who joined the church so they can abuse people. Do those people exist? Absolutely. I live in America and I see it all the time in our religious politicians and evangelical leaders and christian hate groups. But I also see those people in every walk of life where one group gets institutional power over others. Cops. The wealthy. Bosses. Even some Storytellers. I think it's much more interesting when you focus on Sanctified characters who do actually have faith. And for people whose faith actually improves their lives in a tangible way.

Regarding Cruac vs. Theban - look at the differences. First - the sorcery conditions. The Sanctified get Raptured while the Circle gets Ecstatic. Raptured infuses you with feelings of a higher power that you can describe and share with others who felt the same, regardless of faith. Ecstatic lets you give a hash nap to the Beast. Look at the interactions with Humanity. Drop too low and you are suddenly cut off from using Theban. With the Circle on the other hand, you have to be a monster or you start losing access to Cruac.

In the end, your take makes sense. I just think once you break out of that sort of default mentality, suddenly the Spear becomes a lot more interesting, it's just you have to work at it. You can still have those types of power/hypocrisy conflicts (layman vs priests vs higher mysteries), but I think the new edition is giving tables a lot more tools to break out of that default. People are drawn to community, people are drawn to acceptance, people are drawn to shared experience, and people are drawn to higher powers.

I've had some addicts in my friends/family and as an Atheist I've not historically appreciated all the higher power stuff in the twelve steps - but for anyone who just cannot take control of their lives on their own (and I think the World of Darkness itself should have more people like that than the real world,) belief in a higher power really does seem to be a life-hack to finding a measure of control again. I personally wouldn't label the people seeking to find a way to control their beast in such a fashion as cowards compared to the group that embraces indulging the beast until it's gorged and lethargic.

Comment

I'd add that damnation is in some senses a theological way of discussing something much more concrete, Humanity. The Kindred need their humanity, but it's in constant tension with being a vampire. The Acolytes can talk all day about shrugging off damnation but that doesn't really change the underlying dynamic. Personally, I really like that contradiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy View Post

I love these types of WoD philosophical discussions. Thanks for sharing your outlook.

I went to Catholic School but my own religious outlook eventually gelled into Atheism. As such, the Spear for most of my gaming life has been my least favorite and that seems to be a pretty common attitude for gamers with western liberal educations. It took me a long time to really give the Spear a fair shake and I pretty much ran them like simple hypocrites and indulgent monsters.

Later in life I attended a few religious events which did nothing to make me question my own atheism, but did give me a new respect for the power of community ritual. There's something about being united in a rite like that which can produce actual feelings of a high. I look at it more from a psychological than supernatural perspective, but now I can at least understand why people might attribute that energy to something like the Holy Spirit.

I think you are missing out on a ton of religious narratives if you boil down the majority/average Sanctified to the priest who joined the church so they can abuse people. Do those people exist? Absolutely. I live in America and I see it all the time in our religious politicians and evangelical leaders and christian hate groups. But I also see those people in every walk of life where one group gets institutional power over others. Cops. The wealthy. Bosses. Even some Storytellers. I think it's much more interesting when you focus on Sanctified characters who do actually have faith. And for people whose faith actually improves their lives in a tangible way.

Regarding Cruac vs. Theban - look at the differences. First - the sorcery conditions. The Sanctified get Raptured while the Circle gets Ecstatic. Raptured infuses you with feelings of a higher power that you can describe and share with others who felt the same, regardless of faith. Ecstatic lets you give a hash nap to the Beast. Look at the interactions with Humanity. Drop too low and you are suddenly cut off from using Theban. With the Circle on the other hand, you have to be a monster or you start losing access to Cruac.

In the end, your take makes sense. I just think once you break out of that sort of default mentality, suddenly the Spear becomes a lot more interesting, it's just you have to work at it. You can still have those types of power/hypocrisy conflicts (layman vs priests vs higher mysteries), but I think the new edition is giving tables a lot more tools to break out of that default. People are drawn to community, people are drawn to acceptance, people are drawn to shared experience, and people are drawn to higher powers.

I've had some addicts in my friends/family and as an Atheist I've not historically appreciated all the higher power stuff in the twelve steps - but for anyone who just cannot take control of their lives on their own (and I think the World of Darkness itself should have more people like that than the real world,) belief in a higher power really does seem to be a life-hack to finding a measure of control again. I personally wouldn't label the people seeking to find a way to control their beast in such a fashion as cowards compared to the group that embraces indulging the beast until it's gorged and lethargic.

First of all, thanks for your thoughtful reply, it was a good read, and it seems like you and I have had similar experiences.

I also grew up in a Catholic family but I myself have always been an atheist. My father became an atheist when he turned 18 years old. My mother has always been Catholic. As such, I was raised by a Catholic mother but an atheist father, with all of my grandparents also being Catholic.

While I'm irreligious, I want to say that I have nothing but respect for my Catholic family and their church, and I'm absolutely grateful for the extremely beautiful funeral services they gave my grandparents when they passed away. During those days, I experienced first-hand how powerful, emotional and wonderful religious rites, ceremonies and communities can be.

That's enough about my personal life, but at least now you know where I'm coming from when I continue to discuss the Lancea et Sanctum, which I plan on doing now.

In my previous posts I was extremely cynical, and I apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes. I was simply expressing my personal views on how I would feel about the Lancea et Sanctum if vampires and the Sanctum were real. It was not just a judgement on religion, but also a judgement on vampires. Sure, religion, especially Catholicism, can be a bit sinister sometimes, and not everyone in the church always has your best interests in mind. The Catholic church, like any organized institute, draws in authoritarians, but also people who want to excuse their bad behavior or absolve themselves of their feeling of guilt. Instead of facing their own actions and trying to put actual work into becoming better people, they pray to God, confess their sins, do their communion, and everything is alright, problem solved. Again, I am well aware that this is not the default way Catholics operate, but bad people like this exist, and vampires are worse.

Vampirism brings out the worst in us. Vampirism will turn the nice girl next door into a vicious cunt if you let it. It takes hard work, a honest outlook on life and a strong will to keep that Beast in check and not let it consume you. It takes an even stronger mind to take responsibility for your Beast's actions. It's so much easier to just excuse your behavior. "That was not me, that was the Beast!" Never mind the fact that the Beast is you, and you are your Beast, but most vampires don't want to face that fact.

In comes the Lancea et Sanctum, who tells you that your curse, your Beast, is a gift from God. All that fucked up shit you did when you were frenzying? That's all part of God's plan, my child. There is no reason to feel guilty about it. The suffering you caused to that entire family when you seduced and drained their daughter? They deserve to suffer, they are sinners in a fallen world, and we make the sinners suffer as part of God's plan. Haven't you read the Bible? The story of Job and how God allowed Satan to destroy his entire life to test his faith? It's like that, my child. We are simply testing people's faith.

You can probably see what this doctrine draws in the worst kind of vampires and encourages poor behavior, rather than discouraging it, right? That being said, the Lancea et Sanctum encourages a controlled, structured and methodological approach to their destructive behavior. Of course they do not encourage you to just let loose your Beast and wreck havoc, nor do they want you to throw your Humanity away and put your Man on the hook in front of the Beast. Like organized religious institutes of the past (and some today), the Lancea et Sanctum wants to control you, and they can't control a reckless animalistic beast. It's sinister, but it does keep many neonates on the straight and narrow.

The way I see it, and the way I run the Lancea et Sanctum in my games: the organization itself is sinister as fuck, it attracts the worst kind of vampires, but the majority of its members have genuine faith and are genuinely well-meaning. Let me highlight some Lancea et Sanctum characters from my current game so you have an idea how I run this covenant:

In my game's Lancea et Sanctum, the Archbishop might perhaps be an authoritarian control freak who seeks an arcane relic of the past to gain power, and uses his faithful flock to procure that relic for him, but the Bishop is a genuine faithful man who regrets seeing so many clueless neonates succumbing to their Beast, and wishes to give them counseling and guidance. The Inquisitor, he's an ambitious Ventrue of the Icarian bloodline. He is a man of faith, but he is also an authoritarian who believes the Sanctum would be doing so much better if he was in charge. And the Priest? The Priest wasn't really religious in life, but Damnation opened his eyes. As a vampire, above all else, he needed structure, guidance and purpose. The Lancea et Sanctum gave him that structure, guidance and purpose. Now he leads midnight mass and does confessionals, it gives him structure, it gives him purpose, it gives him inner peace. And that newest Gangrel recruit? Well, he has a hard time coming to terms with his monstrous nature. He never wanted to be Embraced, and he was a genuine kind soul before his Sire took him. He hates being a monster and he hates how his Gangrel Beast constantly rattles the cage, but because of the Lancea et Sanctum, he finally found an outlet. He decided that he will be vampire Batman, a vigilante who punishes criminals and wicked sinners. He will clean up that shitty neighborhood one by one, scaring would-be criminals away from a path of crime, while punishing those who are already too deep into it. And that creepy Nosferatu lady? She was a nun in life, and a librarian in unlife, She doesn't want to show her deformed face to others and is happy to be an Abecedarian, taking care of the Sanctum's library. It's a lonely Requiem, but a peaceful one, and the Sanctum takes good care of her.
                          Last edited by Ventrue Life; 03-01-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Genuine question: What does "building better worlds" mean from a Acolyte perspective? Because personally I can't see it. The Circle of the Crone seems to be the most conservative, most stagnant, most nihilistic covenant out there. Not to mention, they put the Man and the Masquerade on the line for the sake of worshipping their Beast. They're really only two steps away from Belial's Brood if you ask me. The one saving grace that keeps them from going full Belial's Brood? They genuinely seem to care about history, knowledge and ancient wisdom, and try to collect and preserve the knowledge that humanity has lost or forsaken through the ages. That's the one thing that keeps these witches civil and that's why they often get along well with the Ordo Dracul.

So what better world, and who are they building it for?
                            Oh, I'm not talking from a Circle point of view, I'm talking from an Arcane point of view.

Buuuut the Circle is also focused on creation as a principle, and their point of embracing their nature also includes such things as embracing that vampires are social creatures and therefore place strong value on being there for your fellows, with things like weddings being among their more important ceremonies. They also have a strong and clear understanding of the way things are interconnected and how one thing can affect another, and so an emphasis on harmony with community and ecology is present, even if that also returns things to a dialogue of predators, preys, scavengers, parasites, etc. None of this loses sight of the willworker as they are as being the one with power to make things work out-their self-acceptance also personally empowers each and every one of them-but it also reminds them that the animal instinct favors community, that there is a simple base joy in working with and helping out others in the tribe, and that the happier a community on the whole is, the happier any one of them if for no other reason than it is a place you want to be in.

Finally, yeah, they own that they are monsters, but these aren't the Brood. What I mean by that is that, no, of course they are going to find joy in the hunt, in the power and dominance they have over their prey or hosts or vegetables-but there's more to life than feeding and rutting. THere's simply times where there's nothing to do, and this is where their dedication to creation really comes to play. They are monsters, but monsters of a more animalistic sort, not of the demonic sort. And lions somestimes just laze about. The Circle are just as much about tending to their gardens and painting things as they are running some fuck done and worshipping in fun through some infliction of sparagmos.

I'm not claiming they are interested in better worlds, or that they aren't terrifying monsters who are anti-aspirational frameworks(because all the Covenants are anti-aspirational frameworks that facilitate the idea of a more terrifying monster)-buuuuuuut it's not like they are fucking transgression and violation leading to useless entropy for the sheer hell of it incarnate. These are PCs for a reason.

But yeah, no, I made that comment as a Me Statement. If there is a God, I will not be accountable to him-he will be an accountable to me.
                            Last edited by ArcaneArts; 03-01-2019, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Also-nihilism is not a problem. When nothing has inherent meaning, then that means there is equally just as much of a lack of meaningful argument against, say, me making people feel better for no other reason than I enjoy it.

Comment

Your local Sanctified characters sound like a good spread!

re: Frenzy - I think it is fully rational to accept responsibility for your actions and yet still acknowledge that you are not always in your right mind or in control of those actions. See driving under the influence. See mental health. It doesn't mean those things were done by someone else or should be treated like they never happened. But it may mitigate the scale or type of consequences that come your way because of them. You still did it, even if you were out of control. You still make the breaking point check, even though you didn't make the choices. You still suffer the Guilty condition (or whichever you choose) after the fact, not the beast.

You do not have control of yourself under normal frenzy (sans Riding, sans Powers), and that's reinforced by the mechanics to the point that you might actually have to hand over your character to the ST for its duration. The first time a character frenzies and faces a breaking point, that should be an important prelude moment, and they need a way to process that event. They are responsible for something terrible they could reasonably feel they had no control over. "That wasn't me" is probably going to be high up on the list for people that weren't low Integrity at their embrace. And any character that doesn't explore that dichotomy is missing out, I think, on an important aspect of undead existence.

A character's relationship with frenzy should be one of the major things a vampiric community (Covenant) addresses. And I think the major five do - I'd put the wide-angle practices at:
                                • Circle: Celebrate and explore your connection to the beast
                                • Spear: Direct the beast to serving a higher purpose than yourself
                                • Invictus: Buttress against the beast through traditions of etiquette and shame
                                • Ordo: Weaponize the beast for direct self-improvement
                                • Carthians: Experiment with the beast's utilization toward new forms of government or authority
                                While I think you can - and there are certainly some Confessors in the Spear who do - hand out the equivalent of get-out-of-guilt free cards (say 20 prayers and you're forgiven) - that's a bit too easy for me. The Spear has a direct relationship with Humanity. Their signature ability doesn't work without it. That more than anything has made me rejigger my understanding the of them. One of my current-game antagonists is a Sanctified Elder who had no qualms about putting the Judgement Fast on a big portion of the city. But then I have to reconcile the fact that such a character would need to be Humanity 5. Any Elder/Ancillae with high Theban would need to be at that level.

That leads me to a lot of questions. But my main answer has been that the old violent/brutal Lasombra-Sabbat influences to the 1E Lance are being phased out and put squarely back into the Circle. That there must be a supported tradition of maintaining Humanity in the Covenant that works on an institutional level. And for me the natural way to square that circle is to put emphasis on that faith and connection to Longinus/God. Not just have it as an excuse for bad behavior, but have it be something real to those characters which directs and helps them stabilize their Requiems. And once I did that, suddenly the Spear became much more sympathetic and much more 3D as NPCs.

Comment

Working...
                                X