Poll: Favorite Covenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post

Their "we are chosen by God to be the jailors of His fallen world, punishing the sinners in it" outlook is definitely them trying to rationalize their Damnation and an excuse to be monstrous.

Their miracles are undeniable, but are the truly a gift from God, or simply another form of blood magick, like Cruac? Or is it a gift from a much more sinister force? Nobody knows.
    Blasphemy! The Lance knows!

Comment

The Circle of the Crone and the Ordo Dracul! I also enjoy having the Sanctum as antagonists, for some reason.

Comment

Sure, some have genuine faith, but you'd be hard pressed if you tried to convince me that there aren't many in the Sanctum who use it as an excuse to be dicks. The reason why such vampires would prefer the Sanctum over the Circle is because the Circle doesn't try to make things look prettier. The Circle is more like "yeah, I'm a monster, but it isn't all bad, I'm kinda at the top of the food chain now, that's a plus", while the Sanctum is "I'm allowed to be a monster, nay, I'm even supposed to be a monster, and I don't even have to feel bad about it, because God told me so!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, depending how cynical you wanna be about it, the Sanctum tries to shift the responsibility of their shitty behavior to God, while the Circle takes full responsibility for their own shitty behavior. It takes a certain amount of balls or callousness to do what the Circle does, while any coward can do what the Sanctum does.

To clarify: it might sound based on this post like I hate the Lancea et Sanctum. I don't. As a player and storyteller I love the Sanctum. But looking at the Sanctum from an irreligious perspective, it does look like the covenant that attracts the most cowards and dicks who look for an excuse to be monsters without feeling guilty about it.
        One of the characters responsible for making the Lancea et Sanctum the new established order in ancient Rome didn't believe in it as a religion, but that it could better keep vampires sane and functional. Modern spears with similar views might think that Longinian values are so prevalent that even those who intellectually deny the doctrine tend to towards some adherence of them.

Comment

and that's good! even if they're wrong, it still helps vampire society and individuals continue on. much like real life religion too

Comment

Invictus. Sure they are a bunch of corrupt elitists, but when the competition are:
            a) volatile revolutionaries putting everykindred in danger with the social experiments.
            b) creepy cultists sacrificing people in altars to please dark deities which may or may do not exist (let´s hope don´t).
            c) religious fanatics judging and staking others (usually for the same sins they themselves commit.)
            d) mystics and mad doctors performing (in)human experiments which would make Josef Mengele puke.

...suddenly the guys trying to keep everything together and prevents the other crazy from rocking the boat too much don´t seem that bad at all.
            Last edited by Raistlin; 03-16-2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

not to mention that despite the corruption, the main goals of the Invictus insure that the corrupt still do their jobs of keeping the masquerade up

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post
                Invictus. Sure they are a bunch of corrupt elitists, but when the competition are:

b) creepy cultists sacrificing people in altars to please dark deities which may or may do not exist (let´s hope don´t).
                Look. Look.

It doesn't matter so much if the deities exist so long as they can be used to execute my will upon the world.

Vampire is not a game I go to be a better person, can you tell?

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
                Out of Nation from 5/22 to 5/29

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                  Look. Look.

It doesn't matter so much if the deities exist so long as they can be used to execute my will upon the world.

Vampire is not a game I go to be a better person, can you tell?
                  Better scary self-acceptance than becoming a sheep to other vampires.

Besides, let's say we have plenty of gamelines to invoke deities from lol

Comment

As of now, 51% favour the Ordo. Awesome!
                    Which is also where I would want to be. My Love for science and the mystical combined in some sort of new western blood alchemy to transcend limitations and basically ascend to a higher state of being- dont know about you, but that one hits all the right buzzwords for me.

Comment

Ordo are the "let's do something interesting with game mechanics" group, that's always an easy sell to some players myself included.
                      They give players more control ether by making sun and fire less of an issue, making frenzy more reliable or enhancing bloodbonds.

Comment

Ignoring the mechanical stuff, fluff wise the Ordo just really spoke to me most. Coils are awesome, though, not gonna lie, especially in light of the fluff.

Comment

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
                          Ordo are the "let's do something interesting with game mechanics" group, that's always an easy sell to some players myself included.
                          They give players more control ether by making sun and fire less of an issue, making frenzy more reliable or enhancing bloodbonds.

Every covenant does something interesting with the game mechanics. I think what you really mean to say is "lets ignore or mitigate the weaknesses of the vampire splat and make our powers even more powerful", or more simply said, the Ordo Dracul is the go-to covenant if you want to power-game the system and create crazy, borderline broken builds which, if the storyteller allows it, can lead to some crazy shit (Coil of Zirnitra and Coil of Ziva in particular are very prone to abuse and power-gaming, I don't get how those coils ever managed to make it to print as currently written).

I love the Ordo Dracul for the lore and what they stand for, which is why they are my favorite covenant, but I hate how some players I've seen flock to the Ordo Dracul for the mechanical benefits and not much else. I wonder how many players who voted for the Ordo Dracul fall into that category.

Comment

Personally, I can count on one hand the number of players (and have fingers left over) who were interested in the Ordo Dracul based on their premise of transcendence or wanting to play a character that wanted to scientifically explain and categorize the supernatural.

Comment

Every covenant does something interesting with the game mechanics. I think what you really mean to say is "lets ignore or mitigate the weaknesses of the vampire splat and make our powers even more powerful", or more simply said, the Ordo Dracul is the go-to covenant if you want to power-game the system and create crazy, borderline broken builds which, if the storyteller allows it, can lead to some crazy shit (Coil of Zirnitra and Coil of Ziva in particular are very prone to abuse and power-gaming, I don't get how those coils ever managed to make it to print as currently written).

I love the Ordo Dracul for the lore and what they stand for, which is why they are my favorite covenant, but I hate how some players I've seen flock to the Ordo Dracul for the mechanical benefits and not much else. I wonder how many players who voted for the Ordo Dracul fall into that category.
                              That's not unfair and it's true that oaths and laws do more with the game mechanics than any coil, I should probably have said the mechanics of being a vampire. Something to consider is that some dragons (in character not the players) really do set out to turn themselves into the most broken character build possible, you could even argue it's the point of the covenant in universe, of course what makes those npcs into interesting characters is how they go about becoming said broken build not how much fire damage they can reduce to bashing or whatever they can do.

Comment

I am actually a bit shocked that the Carthians didn't get more votes. I had thought they would be in the top of the vote. But there's something new for me in that, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X