No announcement yet.

Poll: Favorite Covenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally my favorite Covenants flip flop and have since I began to be the Storyteller. Once you begin crafting different npc's from the sympathetic and non-sympathetic you begin to see a system that could easily incentivize various characters. Usually when joining a covenant I think about who my character is rather than what they offer. I also disagree with some people stating that the Ordo Dracul makes the strongest characters or even other covenants. I can go all day about different builds and how the various covenants can produce strong contenders.

Such as bringing up examples about how the Lancea Sanctum have one of the quickest ways to provide lethal damage or so on. I won't lie there was a point when I first began playing first edition that I really saw the Circle and Sanctum as "Religious Vampires" and wrote them off but when you get into the core of why they "work" they become a lot more fascinating. Especially when you begin to think about how people join even "religious" circles with various levels of commitment and belief. A sanctum character can be anything from a religious zealot to someone who seeks historical relics with religious connotations Indiana Jones style.

Someone who joins for a "Brotherhood" style way of life or as a way to find meaning in their existence. The different ways and reasons why someone might join are numerous and you probably get your fair share that join it just to influence the masses while paying the actual beliefs very little lip service. This is true for all the covenants. I've had a character in each of the covenants so far and have played many different clans over time but I think I tend to flow to the Carthians the least and I've had the most characters in the Lancea Sanctum despite initially being the most opposed to it funnily enough.

I did vote Ordo Dracul because I think I'd gravitate towards that if "I" was a Vampire.. but it seems I like playing Lancea Sanctum characters due to the potential depth there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post
      To paraphrase Nines from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines: "we don't need some Camarilla to tell us that we need to keep our existence a secret, that shit is just common sense." The same could be said about the Invictus. Their value does not lie in their ability to uphold the Masquerade, because domains without the Invictus exist and clearly those domains do just fine (as far as vampire domains can do "fine").
      In my opinion the Camarilla can make a better claim than the Invictus. The Camarilla created the Masquerade from the, interesting, situation previous to its creation and the Anarchs are essentially the "Loyalist" faction of the Camarilla. And there's no great maniac covenant like the Sabbat that the Invictus need to guard against.

Saying that all domains beyond the Invictus' grasp does fine seem to be a bit of a stretch as "doing fine" also depends on personal view. A savage Acolyte or fascist Carthian domain may not feel very "fine" to exist in for many, even if they do uphold the Masquerade.

In fact one of the things that I feel that the Invictus has going for it is that many lazy or politically not very interested vampires may prefer for the First Estate to take control and just let things be while they do what interest them. A Sanctified Kindred may be more interested in personal spirituality than keeping up with a rapidly changing programe of social engineering voted on in democratic fashion by the Carthians which is designed to intrude and change the unlife of this Sanctified, along with the rest of the city, or get the city to start to transform itself as the Dragons are redirecting lay lines for a great occult project. Thus this Sanctified could let the Invictus rule and the show goes on, and she can do his spiritual searching under the auspices of the First Estate who handles everything without this Sanctified having to concern herself with things that don't interest her from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkhal View Post
        In fact one of the things that I feel that the Invictus has going for it is that many lazy or politically not very interested vampires may prefer for the First Estate to take control and just let things be while they do what interest them. A Sanctified Kindred may be more interested in personal spirituality than keeping up with a rapidly changing programe of social engineering voted on in democratic fashion by the Carthians which is designed to intrude and change the unlife of this Sanctified, along with the rest of the city, or get the city to start to transform itself as the Dragons are redirecting lay lines for a great occult project. Thus this Sanctified could let the Invictus rule and the show goes on, and she can do his spiritual searching under the auspices of the First Estate who handles everything without this Sanctified having to concern herself with things that don't interest her from the start.
        That's assuming that Invictus is basically benign to most kindred.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer from The Hills View Post

That's assuming that Invictus is basically benign to most kindred.
          It's all in the marketing material. You read their pamphlet, right?

Invictus took control (in a probable version) by offering stability of rule in the chaos of fallen Rome and the dark age of the 5th Century. They spread by being effective at first and later by being the best networkers and dealers in favors around. Their selling point is still stability and good management; do not underestimate that draw to people who have experienced the alternative (and honestly, the embrace itself with transition to the night is enough of a shock).

The Invictus will have their own share of intolerable sots, who will eventually get ripped out of place unless they can squash malcontents or make them leave. This is the same as any other Covenant. But the Covenant overall is as benign as any: they are there to do what's said on the tin, and clearly advertise that scratching backs works.

In fact, overall each of the Covenants can afford to be forthright about what they are about. The tricky bit remains in individual motivations and interactions.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

It's all in the marketing material. You read their pamphlet, right?

Invictus took control (in a probable version) by offering stability of rule in the chaos of fallen Rome and the dark age of the 5th Century. They spread by being effective at first and later by being the best networkers and dealers in favors around. Their selling point is still stability and good management; do not underestimate that draw to people who have experienced the alternative (and honestly, the embrace itself with transition to the night is enough of a shock).

The Invictus will have their own share of intolerable sots, who will eventually get ripped out of place unless they can squash malcontents or make them leave. This is the same as any other Covenant. But the Covenant overall is as benign as any: they are there to do what's said on the tin, and clearly advertise that scratching backs works.

In fact, overall each of the Covenants can afford to be forthright about what they are about. The tricky bit remains in individual motivations and interactions.

--Khanwulf
            That's pretty much how conservative parties work. Ours actually used a slogan "Strong and stable" last general election. My point is that being lazy and apolitical isn't enough to tolerate some of these regimes. I think that's something that determines typical clan roles:
            • Ventrue make themselves the authorities.
            • Mekhet hide from the authorities (and support them when it suits them).
            • Gangrel evade the authorities by staying in places where nobody wants to enforce.
            • Nosferatu do a bit of both.
            • Daeva aren't good enough at hiding or rugged enough/inclined to go out of town, so they try to overthrow the authorities and gather followers to deter enforcement.

Comment

Circle here

I like the ordo draculs Coils but their "Nothing is Sacred attitude grates on me.

Comment

Working...
              X