Three Roman Bloodlines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Roman Bloodlines

In preparation for an upcoming Requiem for Rome game, I've sketched out a few bloodlines from the height of the Roman Empire.

The Licinii: bastard childer of the Julii, whose strange infirmity—and ties to the Owls—are never brought up in polite company. Adapted from Requiem for Rome, with their gift's mechanics adapted from Hurt Locker. (I still need to find a suitable quote for these guys…)

The Haliurunnae: always outsiders, never settling down in one place for long, nobody can agree where these strange Gangrel come from. But wherever they go, Wastelands begin to form… Adapted from the Sta-Au in Ancient Bloodlines.

The Scipiadae: an offshoot of the Julii who prefer the battlefield to the rostra, known for their almost barbaric ferocity. Devotions adapted from the Coil of the Wyrm in 2e core, as Coils don't exist in Roman times.
    Last edited by Draconis; 02-16-2019, 11:40 PM.

I like them. I just find it strange that a frenzy focusing bloodline would get Protean as an extra Discipline rather than Animalism, but it's only a matter of preference I guess.

Comment

Animalism is an animal communication and control discipline. Protean is "become the animal/beast". If you're frenzying you're not communing with nature, you're becoming it in very feral ways.

On that note my recommendation for the Scipiadae Devotions is to swap Vigor for Protean as more appropriate both from a power-basis standpoint and to mechanically justify the bloodline's hold of Protean.

--Khanwulf

Comment

DaemonChrno : Thanks! Basically what Khanwulf said: in 2e, Animalism is more the discipline of animals, while Protean is more the discipline of transformation and becoming the Beast. (As opposed to 1e, where Animalism was the discipline of frenzy, while Protean was the discipline of animals.)

Khanwulf : Good thought! I adjusted the requirements a bit for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
          Animalism is an animal communication and control discipline. Protean is "become the animal/beast". If you're frenzying you're not communing with nature, you're becoming it in very feral ways.
          Originally posted by Draconis View Post
          DaemonChrno : Thanks! Basically what Khanwulf said: in 2e, Animalism is more the discipline of animals, while Protean is more the discipline of transformation and becoming the Beast. (As opposed to 1e, where Animalism was the discipline of frenzy, while Protean was the discipline of animals.)
          Animalism in 2e contains two powers that directly interact with frenzy, one of which is the operative basis for a core Devotion whose effects are "penalize predatory aura rolls and boost rolls to resist frenzy."

Protean in 2e lets you sleep beneath the earth, assume bestial features, and drain appropriate animals dry to steal their shapes.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            Animalism in 2e contains two powers that directly interact with frenzy, one of which is the operative basis for a core Devotion whose effects are "penalize predatory aura rolls and boost rolls to resist frenzy."

Protean in 2e lets you sleep beneath the earth, assume bestial features, and drain appropriate animals dry to steal their shapes.
            Fair, but I always took the Animalism frenzy effects as a sort of side effect, not the main purpose of the power (which is targeted at animals and people, not Kindred). Whereas Protean now is based on the Beast instead of on animals, specifically: Predatory and Unnatural Aspects are explicitly Beast-ial, and don't have to come from animals you've drained, while dot 5 is now extremely Beast-infused.

On an OOC level, I gave them Protean because otherwise their spread was too Ventrue-esque. Protean also seemed to fit their "diving headlong into combat and somehow managing to survive" style better than Animalism.

Comment

I'm currently playing a Julii survivor in a post-Fall of the Camarilla game ran by a friend of mine. The Scipiadae bloodline you homebrewed Draconis really fits well with the character I'm playing, and coincidentally, my character is also named Lucius.

So I'm happy to inform that the ST of this game and I are going to give your Scipiadae bloodline a shot! We'll let you know what we think after the chronicle is over.

Not gonna lie though, the name is way too much of a tongue breaker. but luckily one of their nicknames is the Warlords, so that shouldn't be too difficult. I love the lore you gave these guys, and so does the ST, who's a huge nerd for Ancient Rome, the Byzantine Empire and anything related to it.

Comment

Ventrue Life Thank you, that's a huge compliment! Do let me know how it goes! (The name is pronounced something like "skih-pee-ah-day" in English, but "Warlords" does roll off the tongue a whole lot better.)

Comment

I guess I'll give something back as well.

I created a Roman-era bloodline as well. In fact, this bloodline was created when one of the players in the (post-)Fall of the Camarilla game ran by a friend of mine decided that he'd rather play a Daeva instead of a Nosferatu, but didn't want to create a new character. Instead he wanted to play it as a Nosferatu who really much rather wanted to be a Daeva instead, and tried to transcent clan-boundaries through sorcery. His character was a priestess of Inanna-Ishtar and a member of a proto-Circle of the Crone cult. Eventually through some homebrew Cruac ritual she managed to transcent her Nosferatu clan boundaries and dip into the Daeva clan. The ST wanted to represent this phenomena as a new bloodline that would fuse the Nosferatu and Daeva, and could be joined by both. So I homebrewed that bloodline for him, and gave it some additional mystical lore in case other people want to play this bloodline in future games.

So here it is, the Inannan bloodline, which both the Daeva and the Nosferatu can join!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post
                    I guess I'll give something back as well.

I created a Roman-era bloodline as well. In fact, this bloodline was created when one of the players in the (post-)Fall of the Camarilla game ran by a friend of mine decided that he'd rather play a Daeva instead of a Nosferatu, but didn't want to create a new character. Instead he wanted to play it as a Nosferatu who really much rather wanted to be a Daeva instead, and tried to transcent clan-boundaries through sorcery. His character was a priestess of Inanna-Ishtar and a member of a proto-Circle of the Crone cult. Eventually through some homebrew Cruac ritual she managed to transcent her Nosferatu clan boundaries and dip into the Daeva clan. The ST wanted to represent this phenomena as a new bloodline that would fuse the Nosferatu and Daeva, and could be joined by both. So I homebrewed that bloodline for him, and gave it some additional mystical lore in case other people want to play this bloodline in future games.

So here it is, the Inannan bloodline, which both the Daeva and the Nosferatu can join!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
                    Very nicely done! Clean, direct and functional. Oh, and has good, contradictory backstory.

I assume that a member would likely take Striking Looks on assumption of the Bloodline.

--Khanwulf

Edit: I may borrow these for one or more NPCs, eventually. Are they primarily in Constantinople?

Comment

Very nicely done! Clean, direct and functional. Oh, and has good, contradictory backstory.

I assume that a member would likely take Striking Looks on assumption of the Bloodline.

--Khanwulf

Edit: I may borrow these for one or more NPCs, eventually. Are they primarily in Constantinople?

I mean, even if I said "no" and you did it anyway, it's not like I'd ever find out.

But yeah, of course you can borrow and use this content for your games. I'd be honored.

I didn't make Striking Looks a prerequisite or Bloodline Gift, but it probably goes well with the bloodline, yeah. Glad you like it!

And they can be wherever you want them to be. But the actual truth of the matter is this:

The first member of the bloodline is Semiramis, a Daeva thrall who was embraced by the Daeva's rival, a Nosferatu. Furious, Semiramis went looking for a way to "fix" herself. Eventually she stumbled into the bloodline through the use of blood sorcery in 518 AD. She met a Daeva sorceress in Thessaloniki, who was one of the first Cruac users and a member of a proto-Circle of the Crone (who worshipped the goddess Aphrodite/Venus, the Greek/Roman equivalent of Inanna-Ishtar). The Daeva sorceress and the Semiramis combined their knowledge and eventually created a ritual that would allow Semiramis to change her clan from Nosferatu to Daeva. However, the ritual did not go as planned, and what happened is that both Semiramis and her Daeva friend got "stuck" between both clans. Semiramis became a Daeva, but kept her Nosferatu Disciplines and clan weakness, and the Daeva sorceress became a Nosferatu, but kept her Daeva Disciplines and clan weakness. And thus the Inannan bloodline was born.

Semiramis herself has her home in Constantinople, as does my character, Lucius (a Julii survivor pretending to be one of the first Ventrue). We're currently only in Thessaloniki because the Archbishop of Constantinople sent us there. Once we're done with our mission in Thessaloniki, we're going back to Constantinople.
                      Last edited by Ventrue Life; 02-19-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Eheh. Thanks. So primarily Constantinople-based, until scattered by events or whatnot. I'm hoping to direct the players there circa 550 AD, so they can have some fun in Justinian's court (by that point he and Theodora should be something horrible).

And if anyone asks those characters: blood sorcery is bad m'kay!

Comment

Eheh. Thanks. So primarily Constantinople-based, until scattered by events or whatnot. I'm hoping to direct the players there circa 550 AD, so they can have some fun in Justinian's court (by that point he and Theodora should be something horrible).

And if anyone asks those characters: blood sorcery is bad m'kay!
                          I'm the one STing the game Ventrue Life is talking about and taking things through the 6th century is a big part of the appeal. I'm really happy with the bloodline he cooked up for this game and am absolutely in love with the Warlords.

So I'd also like to voice my appreciation for Draconis' work.

Comment

…so they can have some fun in Justinian's court (by that point he and Theodora should be something horrible).
                            Ooh, drawing on the Secret Histories of Procopius I'm guessing? Now that's going to be exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Cheesecake View Post
                              I'm the one STing the game Ventrue Life is talking about and taking things through the 6th century is a big part of the appeal. I'm really happy with the bloodline he cooked up for this game and am absolutely in love with the Warlords.

So I'd also like to voice my appreciation for Draconis' work.
                              Thank you! I'm glad you like it ^^

Comment

Working...
                              X