Expanded Predatory Aspects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanded Predatory Aspects

I'm working on an expanded/codified list of Predatory Aspects (Protean 2) for my players/NPCs and could use a sanity check. I'm not a biologist, so most of these are just using google-fu to try and look up possibilities. Eventually I'll get to Protean 4 abilities, but this is my first stop. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. List below, abilities from the base book are italicized.

In terms of mechanics, I've tried to keep things within a power level of a 1-2 point physical merit, a skill specialty/focus, or something that can be mimicked with a common piece of equipment.

Expanded Adaptations:
    • Mobility Adaptations
      • Aquatic (Run speed in water)
      • Balance (+1 to Athletics tests involving balance)
      • Patagia (Slow Fall)
      • Quadrupedal (+4 Speed, double jumping distance)
      • Relentless (As per the Greyhound Merit)
      • Wall Crawling (Move along walls/ceiling without Athletics checks)
    • Perception Adaptations
      • Electroreception (Sense electrical current with Kindred senses as if it was blood)
      • Extra Sense (360 degree vision)
      • Feral Sense (Detect blood/heartbeat at +2 BP)
      • Keen Hearing (+2 to perception tests involving hearing)
      • Keen Sight (+2 to perception tests involving sight)
      • Keen Smell (+2 to perception tests involving smell)
      • Keen Taste (+2 to perception tests involving taste)
      • Keen Touch (+2 to perception tests involving touch)
      • Magnetoreception (+1 to Navigation checks, inherently discern north/south/up/down)
      • Telescopic Vision (reduce the penalties for Medium and Long range attacks by one)
    • Protective Adaptations
      • Armored (1/0 Armor)
      • Camouflage (+1 to stealth checks against vision)
      • Double-jointed (as per the Double-jointed Merit)
      • Hardy (delay damage-based torpor for one round, i.e. take one more action. Healing does not cancel the torpor)
      • Painless (as per the Iron Stamina 1 merit)
      • Quick (+1 Initiative)
      • Reactive (May apply the lower of Wits or Dex when Surprised)
      • Tough (May apply the lower of Wits or Dex when Stunned)
      • Stalker (+1 to stealth checks when Shadowing)
    • Offensive Adaptations
      • Ambush (+1 on Stealth checks to inflict Surprise)
      • Constriction (When inflicting the Held or Immobilized grapple maneuver against a target, may reflexively inflict 1B that ignores mundane armor)
      • Flanker (When you are Flanking a target, lower their defense by two instead of the normal one)
      • Gullet (The first time you feed on a given target, take an additional Vitae from them)
      • Natural Weapon aka Claws (1L Dex + Brawl attack)
      • Sickening (With a successful Touch attack, inflict a 'Light' version of the Sick Tilt [CoD 2E: p286]. As 'Moderate' but do not increase the penalty on subsequent turns)
      • Spit (0B Dex + Athletics ranged attack. S = 1 yard, M = 2 yards, L = 3 yards)
      • Striker (as per the Demolisher 1 Merit)
      • Venomous (With a successful Touch attack, inflict a 'Light' version of the Poisoned Tilt [CoD 2E: p286]. As 'Moderate' but do not suffer the -3 penalty to Stamina+Resolve check when taking actions)
      • Volatile (as per Pepper Spray [CoD 2E: p276])
    • Utility Adaptations
      • Bioelectrogenesis (may disrupt electronics with a successful Touch Attack. Reflexively roll Dex + Athletics - Durability. Each success removes one Structure)
      • Bioluminescent (acts as a simple flashlight)
      • Communication (Communicate to others with the same adaptation non-verbally - sonar, high/low frequency, scent)
      • Fearsome (+1 on Intimidation checks)
      • Mimicry (+2 on subterfuge tests to mimic voices or sounds)
      • Spinnerets (With an instant action, create a two-foot length of silken rope which dissolves at end of scene. Can extend the length - not duration - with additional actions.)
      • Prehensile Tail (Extra grip)
      • Primal (as per the Striking Looks 1 merit)
      • Warm Blooded (Act as if under the Blush of Life for temperature/heat sense purposes)
    I'm somewhat considering putting a limit on some of the more creation-based adaptations (Sickening, Venomous, Bioelect, Spinnerets) equal to Protean (so 2-5 'charges' per scene, rather than being able to use them every turn) but not sure it's worth the added complexity.

Also putting together animal groups in terms of sticking to a theme and including which adaptations can be found in the theme.

All
    Fearsome, Natural Weapons, Primal

All Avians and Mammals
    Warm Blooded

Arachnids (Spiders, Scorpions)
    Aquatic, Balance, Quadrupedal, Wall Crawling, Extra Sense, Camouflage, Quick, Stalker, Ambush, Venomous, Spinnerets

Avians (Raptors, Vultures, Crows)
    Balance, Patagia, Keen Sight, Magnetoreception, Telescopic Vision, Quick, Ambush, Mimicry

Bats
    Balance, Patagia, Extra Sense, Keen Hearing, Quick, Communication

Bears
    Quadrupedal, Keen Hearing, Keen Smell, Hardy, Painless, Striker

Canids (Wolves, Dogs, Foxes, Hyenas)
    Quadrupedal, Relentless, Keen Hearing, Keen Smell, Flanker

Crocodilians
    Aquatic, Feral Sense, Keen Touch, Armored, Camouflage, Ambush, Gullet

Cetaceans (Dolphins, Whales)
    Aquatic, Keen Hearing, Hardy, Flanker, Relentless, Communication

Felines
    Balanced, Quadrupedal, Keen Hearing, Keen Sight, Keen Smell, Keen Touch, Camouflage, Quick, Stalker, Ambush

Fish
    Aquatic, Feral Sense, Extra Sense, Electroreception, Keen Sight, Keen Smell, Armored, Camouflage, Hardy, Painless, Tough, Ambush, Sickening, Venomous, Bioelectrogenesis, Bioluminescence, Communication

Insects
    Aquatic, Balance, Patagia, Quadrupedal, Wall Crawling, Extra Sense, Magentoreception, Armored, Camouflage, Hardy, Ambush, Spit, Sickening, Venomous, Volatile, Communication

Lizards
    Quadrupedal, Extra Sense, Armored, Camouflage, Stalker, Gullet, Spit, Sickening, Venomous

Primates
    Hardy, Stalker, Prehensile Tail

Rodents
    Quadrupedal, Keen Hearing, Keen Smell, Keen Taste, Reactive

Seals (Seals, Sea Lions, Walruses)
    Aquatic, Keen Hearing, Keen Smell, Hardy

Serpents
    Extra Sense, Keen Taste, Camouflage, Ambush, Constriction, Spit, Venomous, Prehensile Tail

Swine (Pigs, Boars, Hippos)
    Aquatic, Quadrupedal, Keen Smell, Hardy

Weasels (Badgers, Wolverines, Possum, Otters, Skunks)
    Aquatic, Quadrupedal, Keen Hearing, Keen Smell, Tough, Sickening

I'm sure I'm missing groups, and also maybe thinking about sub-classing fish and insects a bit. Not sure yet.

Finally, I'd like to have a Versatile Adaptation trait that lets a user choose adaptations regardless of theme, but not sure if it should be a Merit or Devotion. Either way, probably only a 1 or 2 pointer.
    Last edited by Holy; 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM.

Great list of ideas! Here are a few more.

Opposable toes (Primates) or Tentacles (Molluscs [Squid, Octopi]) - +grappling, climbing

Hemotoxin - Like your venomous but burns Vitae vs Kindred, maybe ghouls instead of damage. Application requires victim's skin to be pierced

Neurotoxin - Inflict Stun tilt 1st turn, then degrading dice pool penalties thereafter.

Fearless (Mustelids [weasels]) - +Resist fear Frenzy. The name for fear frenzy escapes me at the moment and I can only think of Wassail which i believe is hunger.

Gnawing (Rodents) - +object destruction

Agile (Felines, Avians, Rodents, maybe others) - +athletics

Deathroll (Crocodilians) - Penalty to opponent when trying to contest the grapple

Parasitic (Insects specifically Wasps) - Inject larva into victims body which eat it from the inside out before emerging as mundane grown creature(s). (escalating damage per turn until the end.)

Disease (Rodents, Insects, Avians) - Inflict target with chronic infectious disease

Chromatophores (Molluscs, Lizards) - +stealth, +presence

Patagia should apply to rodents and lizards as well

Pretty much any physical stat, skill, or specialty boost can draw inspiration from the animal kingdom. Be afraid when they discover the plant kingdom and/or develop a merit or devotion to unlock plants, fungi, bacteria, viruses, prions, etc, etc.

Since Swarm Form is a Merit, I would stick with that theme for your Versatile Adaptation and make it a 1 point since it's not nearly as powerful as SF.
    Last edited by Rathamus; 03-02-2019, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rathamus View Post
      Fearless (Mustelids [weasels]) - +Resist fear Frenzy. The name for fear frenzy escapes me at the moment and I can only think of Wassail which i believe is hunger.
      Is that a thing weasles are known for?

Parasitic (Insects specifically Wasps) - Inject larva into victims body which eat it from the inside out before emerging as mundane grown creature(s). (escalating damage per turn until the end.)
      Oh god, I think Danse Macabre had a devotion that let you house a nest of hornets in your lungs. But doing it to someone else, that's even more horrifying. I think I'd save that for Protean 4. Seems to keep in theme with Unnatural Aspect as "Unholy Abomination"

@Holy

We used to think that Komodo Dragons' mouths are breeding grounds for bacteria that cause blood poisoning. Turns out it's just venom, but I would probably allow an "infected bite" at my table.

In reality, Komodo dragon venom "decreases blood pressure, expedites blood loss, and sends a victim into shock rendering it too weak to fight," which sounds like it would work well as a vampire adaptation.

Also, as soon as my player's Gangrel gets Protean 2, I'm showing her this page. Thanks for making it.

Comment

Yes the weasel family very rarely back down from a fight even against animals many times larger. Badgers, wolverines, and mink are especially well known for this but it is present to some extent in all mustelids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvlalDNxccw

Haha I figured the parasitic wasps would be too powerful but I had to include it because sometimes nature is more horrifying than anything we mortals could imagine on our own! PS: Human Botfly.

Comment

Yes the weasel family very rarely back down from a fight even against animals many times larger. Badgers, wolverines, and mink are especially well known for this but it is present to some extent in all mustelids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvlalDNxccw
          Well yeah if you're going to count honey badgers. Honey badger just don't give a fuck.

I was doing a quick wiki search for my initial post, and saw that wolverines were part of the mustelid family -- did not know honey badgers were also in there.

PS: Human Botfly.
          Oh Jesus. An elbow fetus.

Edit: I'm just imagining a Gangrel tackling someone, then sticking them with an ovipositor. For the next several months, the person has miniature human fetuses growing in blisters that slowly grow, until they finally burst, giving birth to very hungry babies with fully formed teeth.
          Last edited by DubiousRuffian; 03-05-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DubiousRuffian View Post

Edit: I'm just imagining a Gangrel tackling someone, then sticking them with an ovipositor. For the next several months, the person has miniature human fetuses growing in blisters that slowly grow, until they finally burst, giving birth to very hungry babies with fully formed teeth.
            Why embrace when you can implant? Your little spawn (costing 1 WP of course) eats their soul from the inside out and emerges from the mortal husk fully-formed and ready to take on the night! (Also, covered in gore. But we've all seen Alien, right?)

--Khanwulf

PS. Just make it a Bloodline.

Comment

Working...
            X