Homebrew: Requiem Tzimisce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew: Requiem Tzimisce

I'm here with another homebrew. This time I decided to convert Clan Tzimisce from Vampire the Masquerade to Vampire the Requiem. They have become a Lost Clan, to explain why there aren't any/many Tzimisce left in the modern day.

Well, convert is the wrong word, this is more than just a conversion. I basically rebuilt the Tzimisce from the ground up, but trying to keep the spirit of their VtM counterpart in tact.

To sum up some of my design decisions:

- I decided that the Tzimisce are explicitly tied to Vladislaus the Third, aka Vlad the Impaler, aka Count Dracula. I carefully designed the lore around Dracula to make sure I wouldn't retcon 'Rites of the Dragon' and the first edition Ordo Dracul covenant book. That means that the clan of Dracula is no longer a mystery if you use this homebrew. If you don't like that, feel free to discard the lore I wrote and make up your own.

- In keeping with the other clans, I gave the Tzimisce one unique Discipline and two common Disciplines. Because Dracula and his brides use Protean and Animalism in Rites of the Dragon, I gave the Tzimisce these two Disciplines, and gave them Vigor as their third Discipline to differentiate their Discipline spread from the Gangrel.

- Of course, the Tzimisce wouldn't be the Tzimisce without Vicissitude or Koldunic Sorcery. I decided to go with Vicissitude, which I turned into a Mystery of the Dragon. Technically any vampire could learn the Coil of Vicissitude, but the Tzimisce carefully guarded this Coil and kept it within their clan. If you just want to use the Coil for your game without Clan Tzimisce, be my guest.

- Since there is some overlap between Protean and Vicissitude, I decided to build some Devotions that combines these two powers. I did not forget about the Tzimisce's bad-ass Zulo form, which can be unlocked by the Tzimisce as a Devotion that uses Protean and Coil of Vicissitude as a basis. To 2e players it might seem weird to have Devotions that use a Coil as a prerequisite, but those who own the 1e Ordo Dracul book know this isn't a new concept. However, if you want to use these Devotions without tying it into a Coil, you can easily turn these into Devotions that only require Protean as a prerequisite.

Have fun with this and please, give me constructive feedback if you have any!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Ventrue Life; 03-02-2019, 09:41 PM.

I like it!

I suppose my main question would be: why run Vicissitude as a Coil instead of tying it in with Protean? It makes me wonder what the difference is between Restructure the Bones lethal claws at dot three and Predatory Aspect lethal claws at dot two: when you have the latter in-clan, why would you develop a Coil for the former?

It would also be cool to see just a bit more expansion on the idea behind the Coil, i.e. how it reflects the Fiends' unique take on transcendence (maybe pull in some stuff from the Path of Metamorphosis in OWoD).

I do very much like how you've made the Vicissitude powers more free-form than their old Masquerade versions. Twists like using Bloodform on your non-dominant arm to consume it for Vitae are very weird and very cool, especially once you can regrow the arm instantly by spending that Vitae.

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
      I like it!

I suppose my main question would be: why run Vicissitude as a Coil instead of tying it in with Protean? It makes me wonder what the difference is between Restructure the Bones lethal claws at dot three and Predatory Aspect lethal claws at dot two: when you have the latter in-clan, why would you develop a Coil for the former?

It would also be cool to see just a bit more expansion on the idea behind the Coil, i.e. how it reflects the Fiends' unique take on transcendence (maybe pull in some stuff from the Path of Metamorphosis in OWoD).

I do very much like how you've made the Vicissitude powers more free-form than their old Masquerade versions. Twists like using Bloodform on your non-dominant arm to consume it for Vitae are very weird and very cool, especially once you can regrow the arm instantly by spending that Vitae.

Thank you kind sir!

Why a Coil? That's a good question. At first I was converting the entire Vicissitude Discipline into a long list of Devotions based on Protean. What bugged me about that is that Vicissitude allows you to use fleshcraft on other people as well. This did not feel like the realm of Devotions to me. Devotions are usually upgrades of Disciplines or unique takes and twists on Disciplines. Some powers of Vicissitude felt exactly like they would make good Devotions. Those I indeed did turn into Devotions. Other Vicissitude powers felt like they did not belong in the Devotions category, but in the Blood Sorcery category. Then it dawned on me. Of course, since I tied the clan to the Ordo Dracul, it would make absolute sense to turn Vicissitude into a Coil and Scales!

That being said, I do agree with your hangup and it's something that was bugging me slightly as well. Perhaps I should simplify Restructure the Bones, perhaps I should completely get rid of it and come up with a different third dot power for the Coil of Vicissitude, or perhaps I should differentiate Restructure the Bones more so it doesn't overlap with Predatory Aspect.

Any suggestions?

Comment

My advice won't be very helpful, since I would have taken a totally different tack with it (all Protean-based). I'll have to think on that.

Comment

As I wrote in another thread, having Vicissitude represented through a Coil gives Tzimisce a much more interesting identity that I personally think gives them a more fitting place within Requiem's world, but then it would have been the Mystery of Metamorphosis alone that makes a Tzimisce instead of having them as a Clan or Bloodline.
          How I would design the Coil would be to focus on the need for transformation, but physical and spiritual, and minimize Protean-style shapeshifting (which you don't have much of anyway). Such things can be achieved with Protean, or a fitting fleshcrafting Scale like you've already done.
          If there's one thing I would directly criticise it would be the fourth Coil dot. You've tried to flavour it as fitting with transformations, but there's nothing transformative about it once you've learned it and it makes both ghouling and blood bonding extremely expensive.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
            As I wrote in another thread, having Vicissitude represented through a Coil gives Tzimisce a much more interesting identity that I personally think gives them a more fitting place within Requiem's world, but then it would have been the Mystery of Metamorphosis alone that makes a Tzimisce instead of having them as a Clan or Bloodline.
            How I would design the Coil would be to focus on the need for transformation, but physical and spiritual, and minimize Protean-style shapeshifting (which you don't have much of anyway). Such things can be achieved with Protean, or a fitting fleshcrafting Scale like you've already done.
            If there's one thing I would directly criticise it would be the fourth Coil dot. You've tried to flavour it as fitting with transformations, but there's nothing transformative about it once you've learned it and it makes both ghouling and blood bonding extremely expensive.
            Thanks for your insight!

Do you think the 4th dot would be better if it's something you can 'turn on and off' again? Perhaps with the expenditure of a Willpower? Perhaps during the daysleep?

Comment

I meant that I wouldn't include poisonous Vitae at all. I don't know what to replace it with, though.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Here's a thought. You could focus the Coil on the internal changes, like Tessie suggested, but then meld the external changes into Protean: Tzimisce Protean just works a bit differently from Gangrel Protean, so the Aspects are more free-form and involve "sculpting" the flesh and bone rather than letting the Beast show through. Dot five turns them into a pool of blood instead of a cloud of mist. Use a Devotion to apply Aspects to other people, like in your current model.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                  it would have been the Mystery of Metamorphosis alone that makes a Tzimisce instead of having them as a Clan or Bloodline.
                  The Darker Days Radio podcast recently had an interview with Danielle Lauzon -- she talked a little about Spilled Blood and that there will be Covenant specific Bloodlines that are (I think) open to all Clans. So your idea seems pretty doable.

@Ventrue Life
                  I really enjoy the devotions.

Given the idea of Covenant specific Bloodlines, I feel like you could set it up so that your Coil literally is Protean Devotions. Malleable Visage and Resculpt Flesh become different Protean 2 devotions. Restructure Bones is Protean 3. Distill Blood Protean 4, Master of Flesh and Blood become Protean 5.

Then your Scales become Devotions using the Vicissitude Coil and Vigor (forcing your own powers on others seems in-theme).

Vicissitude Devotions become Devotions using Vicissitude and either Animalism (not sure how you'd work this) or different Merits. Eidetic Memory + Vicissitude might give you Sculpt the Beast and Summon the Sculpture.

As for ideas on Restructure the Bones.... what if it were to literally restructure them? Add more or fewer joints, gain hollow or more dense bones, more vertibrae, a working mouth on the back of your head?

Comment

Originally posted by DubiousRuffian View Post

The Darker Days Radio podcast recently had an interview with Danielle Lauzon -- she talked a little about Spilled Blood and that there will be Covenant specific Bloodlines that are (I think) open to all Clans. So your idea seems pretty doable.

@Ventrue Life
                    I really enjoy the devotions.

Given the idea of Covenant specific Bloodlines, I feel like you could set it up so that your Coil literally is Protean Devotions. Malleable Visage and Resculpt Flesh become different Protean 2 devotions. Restructure Bones is Protean 3. Distill Blood Protean 4, Master of Flesh and Blood become Protean 5.

Then your Scales become Devotions using the Vicissitude Coil and Vigor (forcing your own powers on others seems in-theme).

Vicissitude Devotions become Devotions using Vicissitude and either Animalism (not sure how you'd work this) or different Merits. Eidetic Memory + Vicissitude might give you Sculpt the Beast and Summon the Sculpture.

As for ideas on Restructure the Bones.... what if it were to literally restructure them? Add more or fewer joints, gain hollow or more dense bones, more vertibrae, a working mouth on the back of your head?

​I like this. Also, Ventrue Life has done in essence exactly what I was intending to eventually get the time to write up. So bravo! The rest is just, as the good commentators indicate, a matter of fine-tuning.

There are a couple different tacts to take, and in backstory both can be used (because CofD contradiction are fun):

1. Vicissitude is the powerset of a Covenant-specific Bloodline (of Gangrel). Dracula simply took its semi-sorcerous structure and created the coils and scales. True innovator, him.

2. Vicissitude is the, or one of the, original Coils and Scales and Dracula simply developed more and mainstreamed them through a kind of renaissance in vampiric alchemical pseudo-science. This implies that there are other, older, Coils--potentially lost, hiding among the Kindred waiting to be revealed, rediscovered or stolen. It also implies that there is a network of vampires of some semi-academic sort that predates the Ordo as known in modern nights.

The implications of point 2 should be enough to keep an introspective researcher up all day, pacing. And then maybe reinforce their haven.

On bones: in VtM vicissitude could be used to do literally this--crafting "things" out of bone in ways that were entirely unnatural. You want your vohzd (a Scale if there ever was one) to consist mostly of toothy mouths? Doable.

One thing that I think should be avoided, and this whole approach side-steps, is the idea of combat vicissitude. That's the whole "I slap your mouth off" kind of crap that has provoked literally years of forum arguments. No. The power set should be something that you either do quickly internally after quite some learning and, er, discipline. Or something you do with your guest strapped firmly to a table with plenty of time.

--Khanwulf

Comment

I love this! Them being a Clan instead of a Ventrue or Nosferatu bloodline is a great acknowledgment of Dracula being an actual different type of Kindred who was "personally Damned".
                      Last edited by Spectre9924; 03-06-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

​I like this. Also, Ventrue Life
                        On bones: in VtM vicissitude could be used to do literally this--crafting "things" out of bone in ways that were entirely unnatural.
                        Literally grow and assemble a car made of bones. (half-joking)

That could be a really cool Scale. Make someone grow, and guide the growth of, a bone tumor. Size 0-2 the victim "gestates" it and you perform surgery to get it out. Size 3-4 it sprouts and grows out of them and you trim it like a bonsai tree. Just needs to be cut from the "stem" once it's "ripe".

Comment

Originally posted by DubiousRuffian View Post

Literally grow and assemble a car made of bones. (half-joking)

That could be a really cool Scale. Make someone grow, and guide the growth of, a bone tumor. Size 0-2 the victim "gestates" it and you perform surgery to get it out. Size 3-4 it sprouts and grows out of them and you trim it like a bonsai tree. Just needs to be cut from the "stem" once it's "ripe".
                          Well. Nothing is keeping you from making (Grotesque Chimera) your horrible, horrible friend out of freshly dead parts in the functional shape of a car. With lots of little legs. I mean, as a modern voivode you have to get around in style, no?

Don't look under the hood.

(Also, don't ask what a "smart phone" means....)

Couple of semi-random thoughts:

1. Fleshcrafting others should at least be easier if there is established blood sympathy. I'm weighing making that a requirement: essentially you can fleshcraft someone who has been infected by Tzimisce blood or at least your own. Random strangers need ... application of Vigor, instead. (Or, an injection of Vitae.)

2. Zulo form (Horrid Marauder) is an expression of Protean? Ok. I like it, especially how it mirrors the werewolf form expressly.

3. How about a [Scale?] that enables the Tzimisce to devour targets (using diablorie mechanics--including "killing" the target), swallowing them whole and keeping them alive (or dead) within their vampiric body. Where they heal using the vamp's blood and are available to be either released later or consumed for various effects (such as perfectly mimicing the person, expressing the mass as flesh growth, etc.). Each creature so consumed causes "issues" in interacting with others, thanks to the effort required to contain the entity and how it tends to squirm and press against the insides. [So, -1 per.]

This could be used by the vamp emulating one particularly disturbing character from American Gods, for instance.

4. Not sold on the acidic/poisonous blood thing. Would rather see that left for an Assamite Covenant, later, frankly.

5. Visc so presented maps very well onto the Coils because it is inward-focused. It's about magic for changing oneself and how you interact with the world, which is exactly what the Coils are all about. Do you have any thoughts on mapping Koldunic Sorcery in as well? Perhaps as hinging on achieving effects in natural elements through the influence of the spirits, facilitated by ley lines and loci (ehem: wyrm nests)?

Just... no volcanoes. Ever.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Khanwulf Well, if I can toss my two cents in on the Koldunic Sorcery/Kraina matter, I don't particularly think it maps to the Coils well at all like Vicissitude does. However, I could totally see it being like how Kigan is to Cruac (mechanically the same, but ultimately two different ritual disciplines with incompatible teachings), or what Gilded Cage Sorcery is to Theban Sorcery (Gilded Cage Sorcery being a combination of Theban Sorcery and various other occult teachings). You could also make it one of the many disciplines that eventually folded into modern day Cruac, much like Veneficia was (I believe that was the case, at least).

However, if you want it to be a coil it could be similar to the Coil of Quintessence from TYON. Vicissitude being focused on how to change yourself internally, with the KS analogue focusing on how you master the land as if it were you're own body. However, I still kind of lean towards the sorcery bit, but whatever works works.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
                              (Also, don't ask what a "smart phone" means....)
                              Ooh, completely different direction, but potentially a good way to tie into the God Machine. Maybe the Holy Engineers are a splinter faction of the Tzmitce.

Also, further to my "scales as Devotions on Devotions", grotesque chimera could easily be a Vicissitude/Animalism 2 Devotion.

3. How about a [Scale?] that enables the Tzimisce to devour targets (using diablorie mechanics--including "killing" the target), swallowing them whole and keeping them alive (or dead) within their vampiric body. Where they heal using the vamp's blood and are available to be either released later or consumed for various effects (such as perfectly mimicing the person, expressing the mass as flesh growth, etc.). Each creature so consumed causes "issues" in interacting with others, thanks to the effort required to contain the entity and how it tends to squirm and press against the insides. [So, -1 per.]
                              I like the idea but it feels more like a Macelarius (sp) devotion.

Also, for the blood coil, maybe it could let you count your BP as being higher for blood pool reasons? Or let you spend blood as if your BP were higher

Comment

Working...
                              X