Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else wish it was a VtR instead VtM video game coming out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else wish it was a VtR instead VtM video game coming out?

I find the CoD more interesting and exciting then WoD, and I think a VtR game would be really cool? Perhaps set in New Orleans?

While I would love the CofD to get the support and promotion it deserves?

After the V5 mess, I'm kinda happy to let WW and Modiphius get their acts together with the WoD and leave CofD to Onyx Path... even if it means no VtR videogame for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      I'm kinda happy to let WW and Modiphius get their acts together with the WoD and leave CofD to Onyx Path... even if it means no VtR videogame for now.
      This.

Also, I'll be honest...I never played World of Darkness. I started CofD when it was the 'New World of Darkness', right after Changeling came out. I've played Bloodlines, though, and I'm familiar with the lore of the World of Darkness. I kind of appreciate having that essentially be the 'video game world' whereas my tabletop games are in a different system and setting. It's not really important, but it works for me.

Comment

I'd love to see VtR taken for a drive through a generational play experience of personal management and events. Kinda like a mashup of Crusader Kings and The Guild--by night.

The risk is that you end up with a metagame influencing things. VtR, however, might fare better in that it has some characters and a few defined events, but no meta to speak of. Just sandbox and go.

There is, however, a fascination with first-person games and at that point you can just write your own factions, mechanics and story to go with the vampire tale you want to tell through the medium. No need to borrow an IP.

--Khanwulf

Comment

I would love a Requiem game...so long as I also trusted the job would actually be done by the people it was given to.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
          Currently Working On: The Noble and the Sovereign, Blog

Comment

I would also love a good Requiem video game, especially because it would make it a lot easier to lead people into Requiem tabletop. At the moment most people know Masquerade from Bloodlines, but Requiem isn't in the cultural consciousness the same way.

Comment

Requiem has so much more potential just because it is completely open ended with no intricate meta-plot as canon. That being said, I would agree with others here that I would prefer to see it done right, than rushed out just to get a new, shallow Vampire game on the shelves.
              Many are setting their expectations on the moon, where were left after Bloodlines and Redemption but I for one expect disappointment in this recreation. I'll still buy it to show my support and give it a fair shake but I hope the NEXT game is VTR done right by night.

Comment

Not really, Requiem would not work in the same way as masquerade does, the lack of established characters and a meta plot is kind of in the way for requiem as an fps-rpg

Comment

Originally posted by Evilhamster View Post
                  Not really, Requiem would not work in the same way as masquerade does, the lack of established characters and a meta plot is kind of in the way for requiem as an fps-rpg
                  I disagree. I think it's the opposite- the lack of a metaplot and the open-endedness of Requiem makes it more easy to create a standalone game, not less.

I actually had been thinking about this long before Bloodlines 2 was announced, about how VtR could inspire a similar game. I feel like it it works pretty well- you have the five clans as ready-made "classes" for the player to choose from. Daeva mixes social skills with physical, Gangrel is all about combat, Mekhet is the stealth option, Nosferatu gives you plenty of crowd control, and Ventrue lets you just Dominate your way through.

The Covenants are the post-start factions the player can join. Perhaps the city is currently balanced between two factions- the Invictus and Sanctum on once side and an uneasy alliance between the Carthians and Crones on the other. The Ordo Dracul is nominally uninterested... You basically get to choose which one you support, and that changes how the game plays out. (different outcomes, getting First Estate goons supporting you versus Crone witches.)

The main plot is about the Strix infiltrating the city, and how they are orchestrating things to cause chaos... such as killing the Prince and creating a power vacuum. The player (as a newly-embraced neonate) is one of the few vampires that can be "trusted" not to have committed the murder, since they have a rock-solid alibi- they were dead and buried at the time. (posthumous embrace, natch)

Throw in some fun gameplay and exploration, and I think it would be pretty interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gellydog View Post
                    The main plot is about the Strix infiltrating the city, and how they are orchestrating things to cause chaos... such as killing the Prince and creating a power vacuum. The player (as a newly-embraced neonate) is one of the few vampires that can be "trusted" not to have committed the murder, since they have a rock-solid alibi- they were dead and buried at the time. (posthumous embrace, natch)
                    Because of course, you can trust that the corpse didn't do anything…

Comment

I dig Requiem (the second edition book managed to actually get me interested in a Vampire game when I felt like it wasn't my thing), but maybe the best way to go with a hypothetical CoD videogame might be not to go with Requiem but with another unexpected gameline.

Comment

I think there's some potential there. Lost 1e was a big turning point in the CofD when it really started to pull away from the WoD and become it's own thing that felt different; and has some strong positive feelings as a game (even if the Underhill thing might have tamped that down) to call on. Court Goodwill can also help explore lots of faction based questlines more easily even Court selection could be significant enough to have replay value.

While not the most popular games, Promethean and Beast also have a few things that would make them easier to transition to videogames. The both share a setups that are a bit more solo-play friendly, and both have strong 'end game' goals to orient a videogame towards. Different ways of achieving the New Dawn, or becoming an Inheritance predispose a CRPG conversion to more natural multiple choice endings

Though I'd imagine the familiarity of vampires (or werewolves) as a draw to a more general audience might be a big consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevään Neito View Post
                          maybe the best way to go with a hypothetical CoD videogame might be not to go with Requiem but with another unexpected gameline.
                          I agree here. As much as I love Requiem and been musing sometimes about a video game for it, I think the best way for CofD to reach some recognition of its own is ignoring the obvious games like VtR (seriously how many games about vampires are out there now?) and use something new and fresh. My vote is for Changeling because fairies are a criminally underrated supernatural creature and deserve more love.

Comment

What a tutorial that would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Gellydog View Post
                              I disagree. I think it's the opposite- the lack of a metaplot and the open-endedness of Requiem makes it more easy to create a standalone game, not less.

I actually had been thinking about this long before Bloodlines 2 was announced, about how VtR could inspire a similar game. I feel like it it works pretty well- you have the five clans as ready-made "classes" for the player to choose from. Daeva mixes social skills with physical, Gangrel is all about combat, Mekhet is the stealth option, Nosferatu gives you plenty of crowd control, and Ventrue lets you just Dominate your way through.

The Covenants are the post-start factions the player can join. Perhaps the city is currently balanced between two factions- the Invictus and Sanctum on once side and an uneasy alliance between the Carthians and Crones on the other. The Ordo Dracul is nominally uninterested... You basically get to choose which one you support, and that changes how the game plays out. (different outcomes, getting First Estate goons supporting you versus Crone witches.)

Throw in some fun gameplay and exploration, and I think it would be pretty interesting.
                              I think there could be a game in the future but not in the same way bloodlines is built.

The CK2 Mod that uses the chronicles of darkness setting is doing a fantastic job, Requiem is another kind of beast then Masqurade...And I meen that in a really good way

Comment

Working...
                              X