Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else wish it was a VtR instead VtM video game coming out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post

I agree here. As much as I love Requiem and been musing sometimes about a video game for it, I think the best way for CofD to reach some recognition of its own is ignoring the obvious games like VtR (seriously how many games about vampires are out there now?) and use something new and fresh. My vote is for Changeling because fairies are a criminally underrated supernatural creature and deserve more love.
    Changeling, Protean or Mage would be awsome to see in a videogame form

Comment

Protean? like just seeing the ability in action?

Comment

Probably meant Promethean.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I'm pretty sure the words, "Creative Thaumaturgy" have killed any thoughts of a Mage videogame with our current computing tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
            I'm pretty sure the words, "Creative Thaumaturgy" have killed any thoughts of a Mage videogame with our current computing tech.
            Yeaaaa. -_-

And it'd be for both Mage games: while Ascension and Awakening have their differences, the principles behind their own takes on freeform spellcasting pose a problem when it comes to translating it to video games. Set limits have to be in place for video games, versus the open-ended creativity in TRPGs.

Since right off the bat, in a theoretical Awakening game, fans of the TRPG would be making complaints of "Why am I being pigeon-holed into using Fate to progress here when I could easily use Mind instead?" or other such stuff of that nature.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think we'll ever get to the level of Creative Thaumaturgy in a computer game. Demon would work better, but would also be kinda tough to pull off, I think.

Promethean or Changeling, on the other hand, I'd totally dig. Hunter, too, of course, especially low-tier (no conspiracies), would make for an awesome horror game.
              I think Mummy could also be immensely fun, and would fit very well into a PC game format.

To be honest, I'm totally stoked about it being a Masquerade game. Requiem has pretty much replaced V:tM for me, but that doesn't mean I dislike it in any way; it (and Bloodlines especially) always kept a special place in my heart, and I am happy to see it get some love.

Comment

The only way to do those kind of creative systems is by removing them. Think something like the episodic Telltale games. You'd get to choose between a few spells at certain points limited by the predefined character and what makes sense for the situation. You'd be pigeon holed into using certain Arcana because your character only has access to those, not because of the limitations of the medium.

I can see such games be made really well, but most people who are into the source material will likely not appreciate such constraints even if it's based on the character instead of limited programming space. Especially since it'd remove many other things from an RPG like character creation, character sheets, and such.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

If you asked me this question in 2004, I would have answered yes.

But now in 2019? Nah.

Vampire the Requiem is amazing, but seeing what is going on with Vampire the Masquerade V5 and what's already going on with Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines 2, I'm glad that Vampire the Requiem is in better hands.

Comment

that's the thing about tabletop into video games. not every one is call of cthulhu quality (and there's the fact you arent a monster in those games)

Comment

I think there is a way to do Mage... but I'm not sure fans would dig it:

Rotes with predetermined spell factors only.

There are videogames that have done custom spell design in-game. It's never going to be the full creativity of Mage, but you can at least have a bunch of spells you made yourself based on your character's stats.

Comment

I'm quite pleased that they're making a V5 game. It's set in Seattle, which as I recall, is a really interesting place in CofD, but not so much from the vampires' angle.

Comment

Besides Lost, I think Forsaken would be completely bonkers as a game if done right, and kind of scary. Like a trippier version of Princess Mononoke.

Also something that I would appreciate in a CoD videogame is some sort of visual differentiation. I'm not necesarily a fan of the need for hyper-fotorreal graphics. What if a Lost or Forsaken game were more stylized? What if it looked more less like the illustrations in both editions of Lost? (I like those). And give the artists free reign for leaning into the weird instead of worrying about the hyperrealistic sweat on a character's face.
                          Last edited by Kevään Neito; 03-25-2019, 05:05 AM.

Comment

I would absolutely adore a Requiem game, or even an Awakened game (it'd be difficult but I think a different kind of game genre would be needed rather than an RPG Stat-based thing like Bloodlines is, not sure how, but there's gotta be a different genre to make it work).

That said, I wouldn't really say "I'd rather have Requiem than Masquerade". While I really REALLY want to see CofD get more love and acknowledgement and it would be awesome to see a game based on it, I'm also not sad that Bloodlines is getting a sequel (spiritual or otherwise).

I guess I'm not sad that I'm getting Bloodlines 2, I'll play the hell out of it. But I am a little sad that I don't have a CofD equivalent to share with my friends.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

I'd much rather a Vampire the Requiem T.V. series that is done well and is well written. Just my opinion.

Comment

A TV show would be cool. On the subject of computer games I think a CofD point and click like Unavowed would be nice, if we're going Vampire then I would look at the Hitman games as a starting point and work out from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X