X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rathamus
    started a topic Lashing Out and using modifiers to Power Attributes

Lashing Out and using modifiers to Power Attributes

So I know there is a debate around whether or not Vigor adds to the Monstrous Beast, but I'm trying to open a different can of worms here.

How do other modifiers and changes affect Lashing Out, Specifically the Monstrous Beast and Physical Intensity, Strength buffs, or changes such as Protean?
    It can boost physical intimidation in Strength + Intimidation rolls but would/should it affect the Predatory Aura as well? The Monstrous Beast is basically a supernatural Str+Intim roll, just like Seductive Beast would be a supernatural form of Presence+ a skill to represent seduction. This could give an edge to Monstrous Beast users if one is willing and able to burn the vitae and possible Masquerade breach but they're not always on and do have their limitations.
    Last edited by Rathamus; 04-06-2019, 12:39 PM.

• tsusasi
    replied
    Originally posted by Rathamus View Post
    So I know there is a debate around whether or not Vigor adds to the Monstrous Beast, but I'm trying to open a different can of worms here.

How do other modifiers and changes affect Lashing Out, Specifically the Monstrous Beast and Physical Intensity, Strength buffs, or changes such as Protean?
    It can boost physical intimidation in Strength + Intimidation rolls but would/should it affect the Predatory Aura as well? The Monstrous Beast is basically a supernatural Str+Intim roll, just like Seductive Beast would be a supernatural form of Presence+ a skill to represent seduction. This could give an edge to Monstrous Beast users if one is willing and able to burn the vitae and possible Masquerade breach but they're not always on and do have their limitations.
    No, Protean adds a Skill modifier, not an Attribute modifier.
    I would allow that Willpower expenditure may permit boosting Predatory Aura rolls but since you often have to spend willpower in order to activate Predatory Aura on another vampire in the first place, it doesn't happen often.
    There are merits that also situationally grant bonus or penalty dice to each type of Predatory Aura rolls but the merit flat out states they apply to those rolls.
    As for vitae to boost through Physical Intensity, I would say no for balance reasons.
    1. Predatory Auras are Blood Potency contests augmented by a Power Attribute and Physical Intensity is supposed to be an augmentation to Physical Attribute contests.
    2. If Strength is the only Attribute allowed to be augmented in Predatory Aura contests, then Monstrous Aura is the only one that would EVER get used and kindred would work themselves into a frenzy to get that modifier as well. Once again, you're back to kindred frenzying every time they encounter another vampire, which was the exact scenario people incessantly bitched and whined about regarding Predator's Taint initially that Predatory Aura contests were designed to curtail.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Rathamus View Post
    So I know there is a debate around whether or not Vigor adds to the Monstrous Beast
    Per the quote in Draconis's post, there's no debate.

How do other modifiers and changes affect Lashing Out, Specifically the Monstrous Beast and Physical Intensity,
    Also no.

I'd say changing the stat through Protean likewise doesn't mesh; the application of the vampiric soul toward the specific effect of triggering a bestial reaction is only really a Strength roll in the sense that this particular form of the Blood Potency roll the predatory aura uses adds the vampire's Strength — being an owl with three fewer dots of Strength than your usual stats likewise shouldn't make it harder for you to inflict the Condition.

Leave a comment:

• Live Bait
    replied
    I would say a flat no, unless one of the supplements has added something I don't know about lashing out is a BP + Power stat and I see no reason to invite the merit arms race that changing that could bring.

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    From the book:

Roll Blood Potency, plus a Power Attribute. Use Strength for monstrous, Presence for seductive, and Intelligence for competitive. The modifiers below apply to all rolls for predatory aura. Both sides may use whatever modifiers apply. Note that Disciplines do not add to predatory aura rolls unless specifically mentioned. For example, Vigor does not add to the monstrous Beast, and Majesty does not add to the seductive Beast.
    Since it says specifically that Disciplines don't apply, I take that to mean anything that's not a Discipline can apply as normal.

So I'd say, use your best judgement: Physical Intensity boosts your Strength so that makes sense, Striking Looks helps your Presence but the Predatory Aura isn't really about appearance (it acts on a more primal level), Protean is a Discipline so it doesn't apply, etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X