No announcement yet.

Storytellers do you allow...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh ya the price of games is stupid now. I have been gaming so long its cool and in now, which means it's entertainment, which means the price goes up.

Best regards

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
    Current Focus
    Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
    Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Graylion View Post
      Not at the table, on YOUR Turn while you are acting, role-playing and describing the amazing things your character is doing. Open the books before your turn, after your turn but not while you are on stage and have the spotlight.
      You're shifting the goal post then. You asked about at the table and in your turn, now you just want us to focus on "your turn." Why ask about at the table in the first place then?

Also, not all play is divided into turns. If we're in "turns" such as combat rounds, all the more reason to have the books out because it's a mechanic heavy time, and most people are going to get pissed off if you're more focused on two minutes of describing your punch landing than they are you looking up a rule in the book. Even more so because combat is also interactive, so what you do is probably going to be modified by what someone else does, and the final role-playing doesn't happen on a single person's turn.

If we're in a more fluid part of play... people are less likely to need to be looking stuff up because it's less likely to be rules intensive. As well, there aren't inherently "turns" when vampires are hanging around Elysium socializing with other vampires. Going around the table one person at a time disrupts the flow of the scene as much as one person looking up a rule and not finishing before it makes sense for their character to go.

Also? I'm playing a RPG. I'm not an actor. I'm not on a stage. I don't have to deliver my lines with perfect memory. I'm allowed to stop, and check my script, and get it right instead of fumbling around for what I'm supposed to say. I don't need the spotlight to rotate perfectly around in a circle so only one person has it shining on them at a time, in order, all the time. It's OK in most scenes for me to want to finish looking something up and someone else do something while I finish; if it's important enough it can't, it's important enough that people get the best I can do, not the best I can do as an improv actor, and they'll be better rewarded waiting.

At no point am I trying to force my narrative on you or anyone.
      That's not what I meant. I mean you're focusing on narrative/story first game style. You're playing towards a story first, which is why you don't want the flow disrupted by people looking up rules in the book. Other people are playing to the game first, which is why they'll pause the role-playing to get the rules right.

For me, my tables and my players Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Rule playing is a very important focus, not a gimic line. For me it is a statement of over 30 years of gaming history.
      And too me it's a giant red flag of One True Wayism. You might like how it sounds, but you agree with yourself. To people that disagree with you, it sounds extremely self-aggrandizing, pompous, and deriding to other styles.

What I am doing is having a discussion to see if anyone else has similiar views.
      That's a question, not a discussion.

I welcome any descriptions opening the book that benefits role-playing not a prolonging an Active players turn for the toll of mechanics.
      I find the role-playing is best not rushed. Give me 30 seconds to check something so I'm confident I'm adequately portraying my character's abilities, and you'll get away better role-playing out of me than if you order me to close the book because it's my turn, and between my hemming, hawing, and uncertainty, end up taking up a full minute of time not really saying anything, for mediocre role-play as I try to hedge my bets on not screwing it up.

You pose these things in opposition. Good for you that your brain works that way. My doesn't. I can't RP well if I don't have a good sense of what my character is capable of, and sometimes that means pausing to check my book, because I'm questioning if I remember something right.

If you're playing with me, you get good RP, or rushed RP, which do you want? I know what I want.

We brainstorm these things and hash them out before or after game.
      So... what if I think of something really cool, and that will create some awesome RP... but it's the middle of the session? Or my "turn?" Is a minute of me with the books really so bad if it creates a moment we'll be talking about for years? My now wife, in our first VtR game, stopped to check something, which gave her a dice bonus I overlooked as the ST, and her boosted pool get an exceptional success at a crucial moment after one of the other players dramatically failed. Years later, "Pardon my Gangrel," is a phrase we use because of the speech her Ventrue gave.

If we hadn't and she hadn't gotten that exceptional success because of her smaller pool? We'd have easily lost out on that moment. All because of being worried about looking at the books for a moment? Nah.

...but he has evolved,...
      See this right here? No. Don't do that if you want to say you're not trying to make your way sound like the superior way.

-------------------

On the price of books thing:

RPG books are nearly criminally cheap. I'm aware that a lot of people struggle to justify the cost of books. The number of RPG freelancers doing GoFundMes or whatever because there isn't enough money in writing our games is staggering. Most freelancers that have stable finances have multiple jobs.

And it isn't like RPG company owners are filthy rich and just denying their employees money. Extra freelancer pay is frequently crowdfunding stretch goals by said owners.

If we want to continue getting high-quality RPG books, we need to be willing to pay realistic prices for them; not complain about how 'expensive' they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

You're shifting the goal post then. You asked about at the table and in your turn, now you just want us to focus on "your turn." Why ask about at the table in the first place then?

In post #11 I revealed that in my game I do not allow the book open on you turn. I also revealed that I have played in a game that did not allow the books open during the game at all which I found a bit much. But I enjoyed that game as he was one of the best storyteller I have ever seen weave a scene.

Best regards

Current Focus

Comment

Also, not all play is divided into turns. If we're in "turns" such as combat rounds, all the more reason to have the books out because it's a mechanic heavy time, and most people are going to get pissed off if you're more focused on two minutes of describing your punch landing than they are you looking up a rule in the book. Even more so because combat is also interactive, so what you do is probably going to be modified by what someone else does, and the final role-playing doesn't happen on a single person's turn.

I agree not all play is divided into turns and that combat is far more mechanical than non-combat. Which is why it is even more important to be well versed with your character and your portion of the rules for any disciplines or merits you have so as to keep a good flow.

And you say you are not an actor but I tend to disagree. At no point is it a requirement to be a good actor. When the rules lawyer first started in my game his description and narrative was rough, the guy next to him would never be called an actor by himself or other but he conveyed what he wanted to achieve, without opening the book and you know what he got better at it each time. There were sessions he walked away talking about the scene his vampire owns a tavern selling demon touched dragon steaks infection the mortals and how he sold it...

We are all actors at the table some quiet and withdrawn, some loud front and center, and on your turn you have the spotlight, use it to describe what you do or speak what you do.

And do believe I would enjoy gaming with you.

Best regards
          Last edited by Graylion; 04-17-2019, 08:51 PM.

Current Focus

Comment

That's not what I meant. I mean you're focusing on narrative/story first game style. You're playing towards a story first, which is why you don't want the flow disrupted by people looking up rules in the book. Other people are playing to the game first, which is why they'll pause the role-playing to get the rules right.
            I agree every game and system is different. Every storyteller or game master and every player is different. By the way the most important element at my table is my players. Always has been and always will be.

A system like Role Master or Silhouette Core is built for mechanics first, 3.5 and 4.0 were both mechanic heavy. Exalted is mechanic heavy. While Storyteller and Storypath both have the word story in the name. The mechanics heavy ones can be used to tell a great story and the story focused one can be pushed into mechanic detail. In second thought I think Exalted walks with a foot in both worlds, mechanics heavy and story heavy. I also agree some players would not be a good fit for my game. I am very open and up front about the style. It would not be fair to spring house Rules and tables rules on a player without clarity.

By the way this is not a post seeking gamers I am not trying to see who likes this style, OH good "you want to play a game" (wasn't that line in a movie?) , in case that is your thought. I have never had a problem filling a table.

And too me it's a giant red flag of One True Wayism. You might like how it sounds, but you agree with yourself. To people that disagree with you, it sounds extremely self-aggrandizing, pompous, and deriding to other styles.
            I am honored that a poster with over 6000 posts would give me so many titles, I feel like I have been Knighted, thank you. I agree, I do agree with myself, but I find that is true of most people. I do not think I am a minority in agreeing with my own opinions. It just sounds weird hearing it out loud, I mean in my head oh wait I mean in text...

That's a question, not a discussion.
            Great questions lead to great discussion, like the one we are having now from me starting the thread and asking a question.

Question = Answer = Discussion (many times)

Current Focus

Comment

See this right here? No. Don't do that if you want to say you're not trying to make your way sound like the superior way.
              And this section is maybe the only part I truly dislike from your post, but I respect your right to voice it.

At no point did I say he went on to game in my style of running the game. He did go on to run the game in his style which has small flavors from my game, and other games, but more importantly I picked up new ideas and methods from him. So you don't get to make me not brag about a proud moment of being involved with a fellow gamer coming out of his shell and going on to run an amazing vampire / werewolf crossover. Isn't that our industry from the beginning first a player, than am GM or St? How did you start? Isn't there a proud story. My first GM quizzed me on the ad&d monster manual before he sold it to me so I could run my own game.

My story, my narrative, my voice. You can say what you want but you may not silence me.

Best regards

Current Focus

Comment

On the price of books thing:

RPG books are nearly criminally cheap. I'm aware that a lot of people struggle to justify the cost of books. The number of RPG freelancers doing GoFundMes or whatever because there isn't enough money in writing our games is staggering. Most freelancers that have stable finances have multiple jobs.

And it isn't like RPG company owners are filthy rich and just denying their employees money. Extra freelancer pay is frequently crowdfunding stretch goals by said owners.

If we want to continue getting high-quality RPG books, we need to be willing to pay realistic prices for them; not complain about how 'expensive' they are.
                In the social circle of gamers I have the cost of books is painful for them. That is unfortunately our problem because I never said it was an unfair price. Having been an owner, manager an employee through my life I understand cost of goods, balance sheets, cash flow, as well as profit and loss.

I have always paid good money for good books. Often times when I run a long term game if the players want they can chip in a couple of bucks and I match the rest and we will buy another core book or useful supplement. We did this during my pathfinder times for the ultimate equipment guide and it benefited everyone.

The price of books have never slowed the growth of my inventory.

Best regards

Current Focus

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

They were saying that if someone did purchase -a- book, under Graylion's perspective of things they shouldn't be able to use it.

Basically, this was a gotcha question from the start, which should have been obvious by the, 'I will withhold my comments and reasons until the discussion has started.' comment but sometimes you open yourself to talking to new people and sometimes they're just going to judge you for it.
                  Hey I wanted a discussion, be careful what you wish for right? It's all good.

I will edit my first post as I am only referring to in person and at the table not online games.

Best regards

Current Focus

Comment

I still think an increase in popularity of games like dungeons and dragons on shows like the big bang theory and other makes rpgs more marketable which increases the audience, the demand, and the price.

Best regards

Current Focus

Comment

Just as a personal note, if possible can you try to keep your replies to at least 1:1 posts? Responding to five posts, even directly in a row, is kind of a pain in the forum software.

In post #11 I revealed that in my game I do not allow the book open on you turn. I also revealed that I have played in a game that did not allow the books open during the game at all which I found a bit much. But I enjoyed that game as he was one of the best storyteller I have ever seen weave a scene.
                      But if you don't want to include talking about "no books open at the table at all," in the discussion, why bring it up? Someone played that way? OK... so why shouldn't my general responses address that too?

Which is why it is even more important to be well versed with your character and your portion of the rules for any disciplines or merits you have so as to keep a good flow.
                      So....

How do you think people actually become well versed in the game? They play. The more you play, the less you need the books open in front of you, because you've learned the best way: in process. Stopping people from opening the book in play is making it harder for them get to the place where you want them to be. Even someone that can memorize the book cover to cover needs to play the game to actually be fluent in it; rote memory is not mastery.

And you say you are not an actor but I tend to disagree.
                      Um, I'm a shitty actor. You don't get to effectively disagree with that. What makes me a good role-player is that I'm a decent author. That's how I approach characters, and what lets me get inside their heads, and then play them. One time I met up with someone I had been playing with online in a purely text based game at a LARP and they were shocked by how stunted my LARP character was, when I was put in a situation where I didn't have time to consider my actions a bit longer than the speed the LARP was moving at. He almost didn't believe it was the same person he'd been playing with for years online due to how radically different my comfort with portraying characters changed with the environment.

When it comes to TT play, things move slow enough for me to not get hung up like I can at LARPs, because I have time to think the way I want to think, and translate it to the format and feel comfortable. But my groups tend to be happy when I spend more time in third person than first person... any attempt to sound like anyone but me turns out hilariously bad at best.

We are all actors at the table some quiet and withdrawn, some loud front and center, and on your turn you have the spotlight, use it to describe what you do or speak what you do.
                      And if you insist on this lens, you're harming your ability to understand other people and how they approach the game, and how to approach them to have fun. Because that's the ultimate point here: having fun.

We're all role-playing. Even the people that pause role-play to figure out all the mechanics. But role-playing isn't acting, or we'd just call it Acting Games (well that, and those are a thing already). Acting is one way to embody a role, but not the only way.

And do believe I would enjoy gaming with you.
                      Sure. Maybe we will sometime... maybe we have... I tend to avoid saying too much about myself that would make that easy to know.

A system like Role Master or Silhouette Core is built for mechanics first, 3.5 and 4.0 were both mechanic heavy. Exalted is mechanic heavy. While Storyteller and Storypath both have the word story in the name.
                      While there is a trend in game design to have story first games being mechanically light games, and game play first games mechanics heavy games, they're not the same thing.

One of the things that keeps me around the ST family of games, is that they try to balance a bit of both so people that want story first play can get their fun at the same table as people more interesting in game play first, where a lot of other designers push towards one or the other too hard for my tastes.

I am honored that a poster with over 6000 posts...
                      The only thing that I care about regarding post counts, are things like my opening request on forum system stuff where my greater time here actually means something.

I do agree with myself, but I find that is true of most people. I do not think I am a minority in agreeing with my own opinions. It just sounds weird hearing it out loud, I mean in my head oh wait I mean in text.
                      And yet you're disregarding the more salient issue: how it sounds to other people.

Great questions lead to great discussion, like the one we are having now from me starting the thread and asking a question.
                      Great questions are generally... more transparent in their intent, and more open ended. "Do people agree with me?" isn't a great question. I don't really think of this as much of a great discussion... it's just one I'm feeling like participating in still. It is not lost on me that you've skipped quite a few things I've posted in defense of having the books open in front of me in my "turn" as a good thing for my role-playing... it seems like a great discussion would focus more on that.

He did go on to run the game in his style which has small flavors from my game, and other games, but more importantly I picked up new ideas and methods from him.
                      If you're phrased it more like this the first time, I wouldn't have responded the way I did.

"He evolved into a better player because he played my way," is an exceedingly different statement from, "he tried my way, and we both learned some things from each other."

So you don't get to make me not brag about a proud moment of being involved with a fellow gamer coming out of his shell and going on to run an amazing vampire / werewolf crossover.
                      Sure. I do, however, get to call you out on your phrasing of it... and it paid of considerably because as you recounted it more fully, it painted a much more illustrative picture than your first statement.

Isn't that our industry from the beginning first a player, than am GM or St?
                      Not always, but the most common. I have a friend that was a theatre major in college, and was used to acting and improv games, and jumped right into GMing D&D 3e rather than trying it as a player first... and did a great job because he was really good at leaning on those "rules lawyers" to encourage them to use their knowledge to positive ends of empowering their self image and keeping the game going despite not having strong system mastery.

How did you start?
                      It kind of depends where you want to decide is my 'start.'

I personally consider it playing historical war-games and getting into the side I was playing as. My first RPG was WEG's Star Wars d6, which I was more in a "oh cool, playing Star Wars!" kick than really getting into character... Vampire the Dark Ages (the 2e one) was my next RPG and... the only thing to be proud of there was that I realized that we were playing the game in a really dumb way so when I started STing myself I paid a bit more attention to what I was doing.

That is unfortunately our problem because I never said it was an unfair price.
                      You called it "stupid" in the context of it being discussed as being expensive. How is stupid meant to be interpreted then?

Comment

I still think an increase in popularity of games like dungeons and dragons on shows like the big bang theory and other makes rpgs more marketable which increases the audience, the demand, and the price.
                        That's... not how economics work. Increased demand only leads to increased price if you can't increase supply. Supply basically isn't a problem in RPGs except of collectors editions, so increased demand shouldn't increase price.

In 2000, when D&D 3e came out, the PHB was $20. In 2014 when D&D 5e came out, the PHB was $50 (though also slightly longer). That is a big increase in price... though D&D is a bit unique. At the same time a movie ticket in the US in 2000 averaged $5.39, and in 2014 it jumped to $8.17. Demand on movies didn't exactly increase... but there's a significant increase in price.

Most RPG companies have not be able to increase their prices, because they're not D&D and everyone's going to buy D&D because it's got such a huge market share. VtM Revised was $30, and VtR 2e standard hardcover is... $40. Same period of time, around the same amount of book as the PHB... way less increase in price.

Comment

I find the role-playing is best not rushed. Give me 30 seconds to check something so I'm confident I'm adequately portraying my character's abilities, and you'll get away better role-playing out of me than if you order me to close the book because it's my turn, and between my hemming, hawing, and uncertainty, end up taking up a full minute of time not really saying anything, for mediocre role-play as I try to hedge my bets on not screwing it up.

You pose these things in opposition. Good for you that your brain works that way. My doesn't. I can't RP well if I don't have a good sense of what my character is capable of, and sometimes that means pausing to check my book, because I'm questioning if I remember something right.

If you're playing with me, you get good RP, or rushed RP, which do you want? I know what I want.

So... what if I think of something really cool, and that will create some awesome RP... but it's the middle of the session? Or my "turn?" Is a minute of me with the books really so bad if it creates a moment we'll be talking about for years? My now wife, in our first VtR game, stopped to check something, which gave her a dice bonus I overlooked as the ST, and her boosted pool get an exceptional success at a crucial moment after one of the other players dramatically failed. Years later, "Pardon my Gangrel," is a phrase we use because of the speech her Ventrue gave.

If we hadn't and she hadn't gotten that exceptional success because of her smaller pool? We'd have easily lost out on that moment. All because of being worried about looking at the books for a moment? Nah.

And now that I have made my way through most of your post, we arrive at the portion I find to be the most important. The events, the memories we connect back to. The best moments in our gaming, the stories we tell years later you remember that exceptional success, or that chance die, or the two 20's. I agree that is the heart of it.

I am not promoting rushing the player, I am promoting the player be prepared. For my game I tend to lean toward page 169/193 for modifiers. I differentiate general modifiers for situation and the specifics of a power or merit you have.

If you learn the CoD/GM fighting merit that allows you to lower your defense and add it to your attack then when you selected that it goes on your character sheet. That is a modifier but not a generic or situational modifier. If you learned the celebrity discipline your defense goes up on your sheet and somewhere there's a note about x2 speed or interrupting actions. These are not modifiers.

I keep a pool with 5 yellow dice (situational) and another with three white dice (willpower). Use a willpower give me a card and take the dice, you don't need to even say I'm using a willpower unless you want to. Some do some don't. Sell me on the fact the you are bribing the guard with money and based on your resources I will hand you situational dice.

Remind me that the so and so owed you a favor than great maybe we don't need to roll.

Page 169 quotes a normal mod range between +/-3 and on the extreme +/-5 so no mystery there. Improvised conditions on 193 range +/-2 so with those we have a really good benchmark to work from.

The hard part is the gizillion other mods from hunger, frenzy, predatory aura, detachment, conditions, tilts, and so on. I try to keep quick glance copies at hand, good notes on sheets, note cards, etc.

I'm too cheap to buy the condition cards so I photocopied the conditions cut them out and glued them to index cards.

So give me an inch here let's say a 4 hour session. Are you trying to telling with 4 other players that off your turn you can't formulate that great idea into action for your turn. What do you think your turn takes 5 min, and if so during the other 4 players turns or 20 minutes you can't take your time open as many books as need be Google tweet post research and bring that idea into focus. And if the idea is not true y something we can get to this week that's why aspirations are for. I get the feeling you are trying to be difficult just for the purpose of it. Maybe not, jut Im getting that feeling.

In the case of your wife I err on the side of the players and give them the mod.

Great talk we should do this more often.

Best regards

Current Focus

Comment

It sort of boggles my mind this conversation is being had, and I can't believe I'm about to say this:

Sure, people being able to focus on their gaming might lead to rawer and fuller gaming, but table sessions aren't exactly high art, nor do they have to be. If an attempt to get a better "acting" experience is gonna get in the way of someone feeling comfortable with the game by knowing they can always have use their resources, that just helps the fun, and fun's more the point than artistry.

Wow, that feels odd rolling off the tongue illusion.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

The most popular RPG companies DID increase their prices. Rifts $40, the semi mandatory supplements $30 each. Star Wars, $60 just for the Core Rulebook, supplements range from $18-$30 each. Shadowrun, $60 supplements (also semi mandatory) $35 to $50 each.

And many things can lead to increased costs. The price of materials needed for production increases, labor costs increase, taxes, as well as demand can all lead to increased prices.

Comment

I am not promoting rushing the player, I am promoting the player be prepared.

So... what happens if I'm looking something up and the person before my finishes faster than average and it gets to me before I've had the amount of time I'd normally have? Do I put the book away, or do you let me finish?

And how can the player always be prepared? They don't control what's going to happen. They don't know if the guard is a push over you'll let them get past with a decent bit of RP, or if he's going to be an absolutely loyal combat monster that might kill one or two of them before the group can stop him if they even suggest he step aside and let them past. If they just refreshed themselves on the social stuff, but it turns into a mental challenge... they're prepared for the wrong thing.

Most people can't memorize the whole book. And frankly, with the amount of cheat sheets and index cards you're saying you use... what's the difference if I'm familiar enough with the book I can find things in it fast? At what point does a folder of cheat sheets and a stack of cards lose any effective difference between me just having my own book I can look stuff up in? Isn't just knowing where the rules are in the book decent preparation too?

I'm honestly not sure how you can justify claiming there's something special about the books vs. writing down all the rules outside the book and looking at the rules there.

Your'e also still acting like, well, everyone playing is an old hand the knows the system well to be as prepared as you're talking. When I was younger I spent a lot of time running games for newer players, which means they weren't going to be prepared like you'd want. I really threw myself into the fire running convention games a lot, where you never know who's going to sit down at your table for a one-shot, and you literally have no expectations of experience or preparations.

So... how do you get prepared players for an open convention one shot?

I keep a pool with 5 yellow dice (situational) and another with three white dice (willpower). Use a willpower give me a card and take the dice, you don't need to even say I'm using a willpower unless you want to. Some do some don't. Sell me on the fact the you are bribing the guard with money and based on your resources I will hand you situational dice.
                                What does this have to do with anything? How does spending WP or getting situational bonus dice physically instead of verbally matter? It's not some universal trick for all humans where it isn't distracting... if anything this is the opposite of keeping people focused, because humans are highly visually wired, and a sudden movement of yellow dice from the ST to the player is more likely to take people out of the moment than just saying, "roll with a +3."

Are you trying to telling with 4 other players that off your turn you can't formulate that great idea into action for your turn.
                                No. I'm saying that inspiration doesn't always strike when it's convenient. If I get a bright idea right as you get to me, I want to be able to formulate it; including possibly checking the book. Creativity doesn't operate on demand. I can't prepare with all that time between turns if my idea that I want to do is inspired by the last 30 seconds of the turn that's ending right before mine.

And if the idea is not true y something we can get to this week that's why aspirations are for.
                                Aspirations are for goals that might span a bit of time. They're not for me confirming if my idea to turn the situation that's going on right now from my group being in the shit, to having the advantage, is viable.

[quoteI get the feeling you are trying to be difficult just for the purpose of it. Maybe not, jut Im getting that feeling.[/quote]

Maybe you're sensing my frustration with your responses really not seeming interested in what I'm saying? Or tossing these sorts of barbs at me.

In the case of your wife I err on the side of the players and give them the mod.
                                Neither of us remembered what the mod was, that's why she looked it up.

Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
                                The most popular RPG companies DID increase their prices.
                                Did anyone say they didn't?

I was saying that the RPG customer base generally call for extremely low prices for the products we want, where we end up creating economic incentives that hurt the writers and developers the most. And to me, that's a really bad thing since it means the people essential for us having these games don't keep making them because they can't afford to.

Comment

Working...
                                X