Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess and unconventional roleplay

Hi all,
    I had the bad idea to experiment something new for my players. One of the NPC in my chronicle (new for the players) likes to "know" people and potential allies challenging them in a chess game.
    The system is pretty simple:
    Each turn both the pc and npc roll int+comp - the extra successes rolled by who had won the previous turn. Keeping rolling until achieving 15 or 20 successes. Each turn there supposed to be interpretation and a brief speech between the party and the npc (each roll stands for several chess turns abd resume the overal situation after a few moves).
    In order to involve the whole party I was thinking they can try to make the npc nervous/distracted/shocked, roleplaying the conversation. Mechanically, everyone can try to roll whatever is more appropriate (Presence+socialize vs Res+comp to carousing him, manip +Subterfuge, and so on). On a succesful roll the NPC get -1 on the next chess roll and -2 on an exceptional success.
    It seems to me an idea with some potential but my current players are pretty new to this game and not really aware how to role play these kind of situations. They come from DnD. So I need to find some hook to let them enjoy this scene. Any idea? How can I lead them into it, making it be intersting? What can happen during the game in case things get boring?
    Any idea or improvment sugestion?
    I was thinking that, depending on the game results (even if the player lose but in a good way) this NPC could let them be involved in his plans as allies and not as puppets.
    Last edited by Marcus; 04-30-2019, 03:04 AM.

this sounds reasonable

Is a mortal defeating a vampire in a chess game sufficient cause to start grooming them for the embrace?

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
      Is a mortal defeating a vampire in a chess game sufficient cause to start grooming them for the embrace?
      Depends how into chess the vampire is.

Comment

if its a long game, is it ok to actually play through a chess match?

Comment

I wouldn't actually play in a group game. It's rude to everyone not directly involved. Maybe in a one-on-one game, but even then your skill as a player is not equal to your character's skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Maina View Post
            I wouldn't actually play in a group game. It's rude to everyone not directly involved. Maybe in a one-on-one game, but even then your skill as a player is not equal to your character's skill.
            I would actually agree with you. That's the reason why I wanted to involve anyone in the conversation. It's quite hard to have a player playing a scene alone and anyway it is a conversation that coterie is supposed to have in any case. The only difference is that it's occurring during a chess game on the background. But I would also try to involve anyone, directly or indirectly, in the game itself.

What do you mean with your skill as a player are not the same of your character skill? It's not a real chess match. Just modeled with Character attributes+skill
            Last edited by Marcus; 04-30-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
              What do you mean with your skill as a player are not the same of your character skill? It's not a real chess match. Just modeled with Character attributes+skill
              They're replying to Prince of the Night who suggested using a real game.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

They're replying to Prince of the Night who suggested using a real game.
                Oh thanks. I missed last Prince of the Night post. My bad.

Comment

My advice is that if you want the players to participate in the game you choose something that allows players to join in at nearly any point like poker or gin. It's considered bad form to "help" someone in a chess game or distract the players with questions or commentary.

Create a reason for the characters to care about the outcome of the chess game. Some NPC they know nothing about and never heard of condescending to acknowledge their existence is not a worthwhile pursuit.

Comment

Check the diceles feeding system out, it's not perfect for your needs but it offers a way to involve and reward the whole group while giving one player the spotlight.

Comment

This sounds fascinating. Now, I would say, even if you don't actually play it at all, you should still maybe have an actual chessboard somewhere nearby. As an ST, I always try to involve some kind of extra physical prop; more often than not, I will write out letters or draw some maps. One game I ran (not WOD) involved each of the players having a separate piece of a treasure map, and they had to come together as a whole in order to have the complete map. The first session of that game was actually fairly tense, as the PCs had all decided on a location to meet up, but they all got there at separate times and had to scout it out. Idk if something like that would work with a chessboard, just food for thought.

Comment

Working...
                      X