Lingua Bellum for intimidate based characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lingua Bellum for intimidate based characters

as an intimidate based character in Lingua Bellum you don't have many options. There are a few great maneuvers within the Covenant Styles, but they generally can only be used once per exchange, meaning that you pretty much have to have a good socialize or persuasion score for your attacks.

Do you find that fitting? On one hand, it feels like we're talking about Elysium discussions, and if you're trying to get everyone under your scary heel, then chances are you're not debating/using Lingua Bellum, on the other addressing the crowds fears and all of that could possibly be a good tactic (We know many debates, especially political ones, based around fears, etc).

Should intimidate have more options? Or perhaps the base maneuver "Intimidate" should not have the guile penalty? Since using that maneuver is pretty much only useful if you use it within the last few turns of Lingua Bellum, otherwise, you give yourself more penalties than your opponent.

My Bloodline conversions
    My House rules

Addressing the crowd's fears isn't really intimidation. It could either be represented by Rouse the Crowd or possibly Poison the Well.

Intimidation is only a small part of Lingua Bellum because being intimidating should only give you an advantage. Trying to actually win the exchange through threats isn't part of Lingua Bellum because it doesn't really attack the opponent as much as trying to get them to not play the game. It's like trying to force an opponent to leave the ring and forfeit the match instead of giving them a verbal beating until they're actually beaten. If you do try to use Intimidate in that fashion you'd act outside the Lingua Bellum, possibly giving you the Exposed Condition for resorting to such a low tactic depending on the Crowd, but also forcing the opponent to react to your threat instead of getting to continue the exchange. Violence would not be an uncommon consequence.

The Intimidate manoeuvre works fine as it is, imo. You mentally unnerve your opponent, but continued use does desensitise them. If you want Intimidation to be a more useful Skill in Lingua Bellum I think a Style Merit that introduces more manoeuvres or modifies existing ones might be the way to go rather than changing the underlying system. The first dot could be that you get a free use of the Intimidate manouevre without applying the penalty.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Thanks, that does make sense.

My Bloodline conversions
      My House rules

Comment

Working...
      X