Quick stats for generic antagonists?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick stats for generic antagonists?

Is there a web site, document, Storyteller's Vault book, etc that includes premade generic antagonists for use in Vampire games? Like if I need some generic Gangrel thug, or a generic Nosferatu spy, or some generic Belial's Brood minion, or a generic ghoul bodyguard, etc, I'd really like to just pull up a set of quick-stats. Making up stat blocks in CoD is not exactly quick or easy. Having a folio of stat blocks would be so much easier than having to stat out every thug and minion. I know there's a bestiary for some animals, but what about other things?

You may look into Storypath's books - as Storypath is 'sister' mechanics for Storyteller system of CoD - you may use those as 'threat levels'. For example, Scion Origin have nice Antagonists stats blocks mechanics.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I don't know about stat-blocks, though a lot of books do have them. While nWoD had more generic enemies, CofD typically has more unique ones. Still, nothing stopping you from just filing off the names and reusing them.

You could also use the Retainer rules for a quick-and-dirty (dot rating determined by how good they are at their job, 2x dot rating for things relevant to their job, 1x dot rating for everything else).

But mostly, I recommend just making up dice pools that seem appropriate as you go for "generic" enemies. You don't need a full stat block.

Comment

Page 119 of the CofD core has generic antagonist stat blocks. They're pretty easy to reskin, although they're for mortals rather than Vampires. Still, it's not hard to add a few Disciplines and a couple Blood Potency dots.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
        Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

Seconding Yossarian for the cofd stat blocks.

In my current game, where the average lick is under 20 years dead, I generally only give one or two dots in Disciplines for the average Mook, two for a recurring character, 2bp for Authorities. I might dole out more discipline dots on a per case basis.

In general, for BP, at 3 or above, you're dealing with some powerhouses, and it's probably worth putting some real thought into the character.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
            Is there a web site, document, Storyteller's Vault book, etc that includes premade generic antagonists for use in Vampire games? Like if I need some generic Gangrel thug, or a generic Nosferatu spy, or some generic Belial's Brood minion, or a generic ghoul bodyguard, etc, I'd really like to just pull up a set of quick-stats. Making up stat blocks in CoD is not exactly quick or easy. Having a folio of stat blocks would be so much easier than having to stat out every thug and minion. I know there's a bestiary for some animals, but what about other things?

Just get a generic mortal antagonist template from CofD or some other splatbook, add clan, weakness, BP 1-2 & disciplines?
            Not quite getting what else you might need for a generic NPC.

The Covenantbooks also had a few kindred-specific that might be of use for you too.

Also, agreeing with DubiousRuffian in that BP 3+ kindred, being either undead for 100+ years or competent at refining their blood or diablerie, should be anything but generic - no real reason to give more than BP 1-2 to someone you don't care to flesh out.
            Last edited by Baaldam; 05-21-2019, 11:36 PM.

Comment

One thing I will do if I need to stat someone up on the flyis roll 1d10 and divide by 3.
              • First roll determines Primary, Second roll determines Secondary, Third roll determines Teriary attributes.
              • Remainder 0 is Mental
              • Remainder 1 is Physical
              • Remainder 2 is Social
              You can then do the same to decide on particular attributes. Assuming we're deciding on a Mental Primary character:
              • Remainder 0 is Int
              • Remainder 1 is Wits
              • Remainder 2 is Res
              Generally a character will have 3 or 2 dots in an attribute. If you're giving someone 4 or above, they are world class at what they do and that's someone you should stat yourself. So you can use an alternate way of statting where you roll 1d10 and [1-3] gives 1 dot, 4-6 gives 2 dots, 7-10 gives 3 dots.

If you are trying to quickly stat a powerful character on the fly (ie: didn't expect your players to punch a Pimogen), just boost it so that [1-3] gives 2 dots, [4-6] gives 3 dots, [7-10] gives 4 dots.

Alternately Alternately, if you know that the character is Mental Primary, then you probably have a character with three dots in one attribute, three dots in a second attribute, and two dots in a third attribute. So you can apply the Primary, Secondary, Tertiary rolling method for Power, Finesse, Resistance. This is the method that I tend to use on the fly, because I feel like it gives me more of a sense of how the character tends to get by in life.

As for Skills, context will generally tell you a little about the character. Give 2-4 dots in skills related to their job. Give them 1-3 in a hobby. Give them an Achillis Heel if you feel like it.

I find that as the GM I don't touch the dice too often, so the most important things to know are Power stats and Resistance stats, because they come up in Lashing Out and in Resisted rolls.

EDIT: I just remembered that Damnation City has a lot of fleshed out secondary chars that you can use. It works really well

Comment

Working...
              X