Writer's Guide to the Strix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writer's Guide to the Strix

I just saw Hijack: The Writer's Guide to the Strix pop up on DTRPG. Got it, love it. I like these looks behind the scenes.

I especially like the origin of the Strix.

I play games and my life is much happier and fuller for having done so.

Yes! If it's anything like "Bite Me" it'll be well worth the money.

Comment

Update: bought it, it was well worth the money. I like the Strix origin too.

Comment

Link

I'm always excited when Rose decides to pop something Requiem related on the STV.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

This was great. I really appreciate the exegetic/metatextual explanation of using the Strix, both in fiction and in-game.

Also, I am so glad this came out. Here's a story I've been sitting on since Feb:

Before introducing the Strix to my game, I did some research. Found a lot of cool stuff. The original Strix stories from Rome/Greece, different cultures' vampire stories (a lot of baby killing witches), the Old Hag/nightmare/maera, and a lot of stories about birds with women's faces...

Then I checked for any interesting tidbits on the Strix that came out during the promotion for Blood and Smoke -- you know, maybe the devs left something juicy in an interview or forum. Some good stuff but nothing unheard of: the Strix-ridden look like diablerists, there are different kinds of Strix, a line about how the Strix are from a time before Humanity and fire ruled, that a failed attempt at Synthesize leaves a tiny impotent part of the Strix in host.....

Oh, and then I found this.

(If you read this, please actually buy the product. Support your artists. The reveal is definitely worth the $6.99. If you can't afford it, she's got a Patreon with a $1 a month option.)

You ask the wolves, they'll tell you humans don't have any spirits besides our own souls. Spider spirits, rat spirits, no human ones.

That's because we scared them off.

In ancient times, humans were all action. We hunted, we gathered, we fought. We were smart, yes, but we lived in the moment. And our spirits liked it that way.

But then we got our shit together. We learned how to harness fire, we learned to believe in things. They didn't like that. So our hearths drove them back, our religions tormented them, and the sun our crops grew by paralyzed them.

The Strix... they could have been us. But we went our own way.

Rose dropped that in a completely unrelated thing. And I couldn't share it with anyone. It would be meaningless to my friends, and a spoiler to my players, and I didn't want to blow up Rose's spot. But holy shit I love the inversion of vampirism and how it plays up just how personal the Strix's antagonism is.

Comment

Originally posted by DubiousRuffian View Post
            Rose dropped that in a completely unrelated thing. And I couldn't share it with anyone. It would be meaningless to my friends, and a spoiler to my players, and I didn't want to blow up Rose's spot. But holy shit I love the inversion of vampirism and how it plays up just how personal the Strix's antagonism is.
            Oh hey, where's that from? Like what's the original context?

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
              Oh hey, where's that from? Like what's the original context?

There is literally no context. It was part of a secret-trade. Like, "I'll tell you the Strix's origin if you give us your super-secret". As in "[Spoiler], Ok that's my side of the deal."

I'm not sharing out the link just because, like I said, I don't want to blow up her spot -- I figure she'd have put the reveal in a more visible place if that was what she wanted.

Comment

Damn, I never thought of using Ghost in the Shell: SAC as inspiration for the Strix, but that is brilliant!

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

"They are the smoke and the darkness, things that could have been you or us, creatures of hunger that humanity stole the night from. They are the Strix."

I remember reading that on the back of the Strix Chronicle Anthology and wondering if it might be something like this...

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                  Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

Given the Strix origin (and humanity-less people without bodies) , I wonder if there will be any interesting interplay with Beliel's Brood (who are humanity-less people with bodies).
                    Last edited by DubiousRuffian; 05-31-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DubiousRuffian View Post
                      Given the Strix origin (and humanity-less people without bodies) , I wonder if there will be any interesting interplay with Beliel's Brood (who are humanity-less people with bodies).

Aww, my headcanon for the Strix was that they're the lingering ghosts of Diablerists. Which would make the act of performing it all the more abhorrent from a morality stand point, as well as from a security standpoint. Since even a blood hunt would not be enough to fully eliminate the threat of one who commits such a crime against their fellow kindred.

Comment

In hindsight it hard to not see why they are like this. For creatures so disdainful towards humanity, they have always shown far too much knowledge and comprehension of what makes humans and vampires tick and how to best disrupt it - their understanding was far too intimate to be attributed to a spirits instinct.

Really, they couldn’t be anything but our darkest potential selves.

Comment

So why do they take the form of owls?

Comment

Originally posted by Minty View Post
                            So why do they take the form of owls?
                            Likely a combination of all the folklore about human souls turning into birds after death (in some cases it's specifically the souls of the wicked turning into ravens, crows, and other birds of ill omen), owls being omens of death and other misfortune in multiple cultures, owls being evoked by various cryptids and alien abduction/encounter stories, and the simple fact that owl heads and faces look closer to human-proportioned than most other birds while also including specimens with "horns" — the Strix are "owl-like shape[s] made of smoke and pooled shadows" rather than Actual Owl-Forms, and their symbolism is more concerned with being unsettling and barely-humanoid occult monsters than evoking the particular motifs of everybody's favorite nocturnal raptor.

Resident Lore-Hound
                            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Tangentially related: the corebook calls the Gangrel the siblings or cousins of owls. The Strix are us, had we chosen to remain wild -- so maybe the Gangrel are what happens when somebody chooses to become wild. Could be a good way to have spontaneous Gangrel embrace...

On a similar note, maybe they hate the Ventrue for "settling down" as "civilization makers". I wonder why most Strix have Dominate?

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                              Likely a combination of all the folklore about human souls turning into birds after death (in some cases it's specifically the souls of the wicked turning into ravens, crows, and other birds of ill omen)... owls being evoked by various cryptids and alien abduction/encounter stories,
                              Can you give any examples of which cultures/stories you're referring to? I'd love to read up on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X