Writer's Guide to the Strix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DubiousRuffian View Post
    Can you give any examples of which cultures/stories you're referring to? I'd love to read up on it.
    Well, the Strix themselves are straight out of Greek Mythology and spread with Hellenism. Hence why the genus name for wood owls is Strix.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Can you give any examples of which cultures/stories you're referring to? I'd love to read up on it.
      The Wikipedia page on owls provides a decent starting point, and then there's stuff like this.

Resident Lore-Hound
      Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

To the extent that there's any truth behind it, the original descriptions of mothman are very owl-like.

Comment

Interesting to suggest a tie to the Hosts, and ironic they are less the Owl Host but the Wildman host.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

To the extent that there's any truth behind it, the original descriptions of mothman are very owl-like.
            Wow, that's a good call! The first time I wrote a human spirit, it was based on mothman, I believe as a creature with bird features! That idea became part of the Strix later!

I am super-excited someone else saw it!

Cavaliers of Mars Creator

Comment

From my understanding it was the Media that pushed the name Mothman. Originally the witness didn't describe an insect but more like something like a Bat, but it was during the Adam West craze so they didn't want to tangle up the story with the campy tv show and the Copyright mine field. So yeah Bats or Birds more then those night Butterflies.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
                Oh hey, where's that from? Like what's the original context?
                Dunno why he didn't give you a straight answer. It's from the booklet being discussed in this thread. The full book doesn't give that much more context. If you read up Werewolf lore you'll understand that bit of text better, I think. Here's the book where the text came from:

https://www.storytellersvault.com/pr...&filters=45622

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrow's Nobody View Post

Dunno why he didn't give you a straight answer. It's from the booklet being discussed in this thread. The full book doesn't give that much more context. If you read up Werewolf lore you'll understand that bit of text better, I think. Here's the book where the text came from:

https://www.storytellersvault.com/pr...&filters=45622
                  Thanks for the clarification! But the text quoted there isn't actually from HIJACK, though it's the same idea. It sounds like it was posted somewhere else, significantly earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post

Thanks for the clarification! But the text quoted there isn't actually from HIJACK, though it's the same idea. It sounds like it was posted somewhere else, significantly earlier.
                    I'd forgotten about that, but I think it was an RPGnet thing where I offered to exchange setting secrets with another publisher.

Cavaliers of Mars Creator

Comment

Working...
                    X