Another Version of Homebrew Gangrel Merit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Version of Homebrew Gangrel Merit

So this is the latest version of a merit I've been working on for a while. I've posted previous versions here already, but was never really happy with them. Now I think I have something worth trying out. After working in any feedback, I'll finally be playtesting it.

Some rambling on the genesis...
    • The motivation is that my player is pretty attached to her character as-is, and combat statting is true to the personality. But the player's playstyle is primarily social, and I've made a primarily social environment.
    • So at the player-level the goal of the merit is to allow a lop-sided statted character to perform reasonably well in social situations, to integrate an hunger/atrocity Dice-esque mechanic, to create some interesting consequences, and give the player some opportunities for interesting narration.
    • I'm using Rose's 1-3 Atrocity dice thing from here. I got the idea for using dice matching mechanic from the same thread. The matching mechanic is aimed at modeling an amping up of the Predatory Aura -- I kind of like the idea of vampirism/the Beast potentially becoming this edlrich thing. It also ties in well with the Strix dread power Web of Destiny.

Anyway, here's Wonderwall

Bestial Communion (* -*****)
    Prerequisites: Must be Gangrel. Dots in this merit may not exceed BP+1.

Description: The Beast is something all Kindred must learn to live with. Most experience it as a heightening of certain drives and emotions; a simple consequence of becoming one of the hungry dead, theirs just howls and screams. In most mouths, "The Beast took over," sounds a lot like "The Devil made me do it.” But you know better. "The Beast" is not a term of art. It is a separate thing. You know because your Beast speaks. And it is articulate. Your Beast advises in whispers and growls and will guide you to become a most efficient predator.

But the Beast does not play fair. It leaks out to contaminate your surroundings. Through its intercession, events conspire to your success. To your enemies' ruin.

By giving in, even the lowest vampire can become truly terrifying.

Effect: As an instant action, you may call on the Beast for a one to three dice bonus to any mundane skill roll. This bonus lasts for as many turns as you have dots in the merit. So long as the bonus lasts, your Beast subtly shapes the world in your favor, taking advantage of momentary openings with predatory swiftness. You may reflexively spend a Willpower to count any Matches between normal dice as additional successes. Matches between normal dice and Atrocity dice count as minor alterations to the environment which may help you or hinder your opponent. Matches between Atrocity dice count as penalties to the opponent. In all cases, you should narrate the uncanny ways in which your Beast twists the world to its own image.

Side Bar: A Match is when any two dice land on the same number.

Drawbacks: After the activation period, a number of Atrocity dice equal to the bonus replaces normal dice in future dice pools. When Atrocity dice contribute to a success, the Beast infects your action. Pick a relevant aspect of the Beast that your action expresses. The degree of expression is determined by the number of Atrocity dice contributing to the success. Each Atrocity die counts as a -1 penalty to any attempts to resist Frenzy. Atrocity dice resolve after contributing to a success. When only Atrocity dice contribute to a success, your vampiric nature reveals itself in dark and unforeseen ways. Should Atrocity dice entirely compose an Exceptional Success, you owe the Storyteller a breaking point.
    Let me know what you think. I'm a little worried that the Drawbacks section is too wordy/ad hoc, and that the matching mechanics should just be changed from three separate effects to a single one. Criticism always appreciated!

I was bored on a plane and thought I'd fiddle with things and try to work this out using the advice in Bloody Dots for a "booster discipline" (it's structured like a physical discipline with persistant/active effects). Opinions appreciated.

I'm dropping the Atrocity Dice. It's more based on hunting behavior and being an apex predator and always being perfectly adapted to your environment. Your beast makes you better at using your surroundings. And if adapting you isn't enough, it'll cheat and adapt the environment to you.

Design goals: I want it to fit with the Gangrel themes and be appropriately flavorful. Hopefully it'll open up interesting narrative possibilities, and I want the player to be able to use it in cool badass ways. I'm hoping that as one gains BP, the uses should chain together well. I'm using match counting to represent how the beast's attempts to cheat are separate from your attempts to success. The idea is that while you might fail a particular roll, you're maneuvering into a superior position.

This is the text-lite version. Full version is below in spoiler tags.
    Bestial Communion (*-*****)
    Restriction:
    When taking any action that could be described as stalking, ambushing, attacking -- whenever there is a defined or intended prey or victim -- you may use this discerit.

Dice Pool: Bestial Communion works by using Matches to modify dice pools. When rolling, you will count successes as usual, to represent how well an action works. As well, you will count the number of Matches, representing how favorable the environment becomes. A Match is when two dice land on the same number. If three dice land on the same number, count only one Match.

Persistent: You are able to reflexively grab or improvise plans and equipment using a modified crafting roll. Rolls to do so have a dice bonus equal to dots in Bestial Communion and the 9-agian quality. Success creates the intended plan or equipment with the Fragile Condition. Failure creates the intended plan or equipment with the Volatile Condition, or some other narratively appropriate penalty. The use of the plan or equipment take the 9-again quality as well.

Active: During your own or another’s turn, you may Reflexively activate any of the following effects for 1 Vitae.
    • Sabatoge: Sabotage a victim’s equipment or plans by counting the number of Matches on any roll. On 1 Match, impose the Fragile Condition. Impose the Volatile Condition on 2 Matches. Each additional Match imposes a cumulative -1 dice penalty to the use of that equipment.
    • Ambush: Whether through superior maneuvering or a web spun by your beast, you give rise to an Environmental Tilt that only affects your prey’s actions. The severity of the Tilt is equal to (Matches + 1) - the victim’s Resolve.
    • A Spun Web: Narrate a number of environmental facts equal to the number of Matches. You may determines what the fact is, to whom it applies, and when. When relevant, the facts provide a dice modifier with value equal to dots in Bestial Communion. The modifier is positive when applied to the PC, negative when applied to anyone else
    Heres the full wordy version with flavor text because I'm incapable of being brief
    :

Bestial Communion is about plans falling apart in the field, and always being prepared. Everything you could need is here for the taking. It doesn’t matter where you are. You are always adapted to your environment. You are always ready. The Beast ensures it.

Restriction: When taking any action that could be described as stalking, ambushing, attacking -- whenever there is a defined or intended prey or victim -- you may use this merit.

Cost: None or (probably) 1 Vitae per effect.

Dice Pool: Bestial Communion works by using Matches to modify dice pools. When rolling, you will count successes as usual, to represent how well an action works. As well, you will count the number of Matches, representing how favorable the environment becomes. A Match is when two dice land on the same number. If three dice land on the same number, count only one Match.

Action: None (for persistent effects) or Reflexive (for active effects)

Duration: Bestial Communion has two types of effects – persistent and active. Persistent effects are always available, last for as many turns as you have dots in Bestial Communion, and have no cost. Active effects are Reflexive, and cost one Vitae per effect.

Persistent: You perceive your Beast manifest in the world. Hear it whisper from the cop’s gun; see it slouch closer to your boss’s mistress. You are able to reflexively grab or improvise plans and equipment using a jury rigging roll. Rolls to do so have a dice bonus equal to dots in Bestial Communion and the 9-agian quality. Success creates the intended plan or equipment with the Fragile Condition. Failure creates the intended plan or equipment with the Volatile Condition, or some other narratively appropriate penalty. The use of the plan or equipment take the 9-again quality as well.

Active: The Beast does not play fair. It leaks out to contaminate your surroundings. Through its intercession, events conspire to your success. To your victims’ ruin. During your own or another’s turn, you may Reflexively activate any of the following effects for 1 Vitae.
    • Sabatoge: The gun jams. Their hands won’t stop shaking. They miscalculated and now nothing will keep them safe from you. Sabotage a victim’s equipment or plans by counting the number of Matches on any roll. On 1 Match, impose the Fragile Condition. Impose the Volatile Condition on 2 Matches. Each additional Match imposes a cumulative -1 dice penalty to the use of that equipment.
    • Ambush: Chase your prey over grasping roots. Force them onto rotted floorboards. The music is too loud to hear what you’re doing to the butler in the parlor. Whether through superior maneuvering or a web spun by your beast, you give rise to an Environmental Tilt that only affects your prey’s actions. The severity of the Tilt is equal to (Matches + 1) - the victim’s Resolve.
    • A Spun Web: Necessary documents on the top of the stack. Tracks revealed by moonlight. Your shot lines up perfectly. Use this effect to determine a number of environmental facts equal to the number of Matches. You may determines what the fact is, to whom it applies, and when. When relevant, the facts provide a dice modifier with value equal to dots in Bestial Communion. The modifier is positive when applied to the PC, negative when applied to anyone else

Because uses chain together, I don't know if it should ultimately be implemented as a discipline or a merit. The chaining is kind of close to an extended roll. Thoughts appreciated.

Comment

Working...
    X