Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roads of the damned (V:tDA Roads for Requiem 2e) input appreciated.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roads of the damned (V:tDA Roads for Requiem 2e) input appreciated.

Hi! I'm running a chronicle of ages (The Transylvania Chronicles, heavily modified, just like I did so many moons ago but for players who HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THE WORLD OF DARKNESS).

and while the Roads do not fit requiem (seriously they don't, I know, you're shocked) I cannot bring myself to use V20 or V5 to run the game so have spent the last month getting jiggy with the rules. Now I'm at the part I have dreaded since 2012 (okay its an exaggeration but not a big one). The Roads. See, the roads are actually really important to the original Vampire the Masquerade, even if they could be a little... misapplied.

Specifically vampires like the Tzimisce just couldn't exist without them. the very use of their discipline is anathema to any humanity rating above...zero.

So I came up with a fix and I was wondering if I could get feedback.

Roads of the Damned

This Merit acts as a bulwark against the loss of Humanity by creating a philosophy that the Cainite adheres to in the face of the Beast. This philosophy only protects against those detachment points that act against the Cainite’s Road.
    When making a detachment roll, the Vampire may roll a number of dice equal to their Road Dots or the Base detachment dice, whichever is greater. If the Detachment does not align with their road’s tenants they do not gain this bonus.
    Drawback: The character’s combined Humanity and Road rating cannot equal more than 10. Further each level of the Merit is subtracted from the Character’s humanity for the purposes of interacting with mortals, as though they lacked the requisite humanity. This is due to the alien nature of even the most “moral” of these philosophies.
    Finally, each road has certain acts that they consider “sins” these are rolled as if they are detachment points, rolled as if they were at the same level of humanity, if the roll fails the character loses a level of the Road. These lost points do not fall under the sanctity of Merits.

• zero dice
    •• one die
    ••• two dice
    •••• two dice
    ••••• Three dice

Sample Roads:

The Road of the Beast
    Cainites on the Road of Beast dismiss the most basic premise of society: the culture, the people, and those living among each other do not have inherent right, as a group, to judge each other.
    Tenants of the Road
    • You have survived death, and now preservation of the self is the truest goal you can seek.
    • The Beast exists to help you survive, not as some manifestation of evil.
    • You have fought for everything you have, and have right to everything you’ve fought for.
    • You cannot be led; you can listen to experiences gained by others, but no one determines the conditions of your existence but you.
    • Civilization is a cushion that softens you and makes you weak. Exist beside it, but never in it.
    Sins against the Beast
    • Refuse to feed when hungry.
    • Not protecting what is yours.
    ••• Failing to kill when survival is on the line.
    •••• Doing something for nothing.
    ••••• Acting cruelly when it’s unnecessary.

The Road of Heaven
    The Road of Heaven is an umbrella of dozens of roads whose goals are to surmount the Beast through acts of faith, often in the religion they claimed in life.
    Tenants of the Road
    • The existence of a higher power and its dominion over all things.
    • Vampiric existence as part of a divine plan.
    • The Embrace is a call to direct service of the divine.
    • Serving divine will over individual will.
    • Following divine law and rejecting evil is the only way to shackle the Beast.
    • Each Faithful must choose their own Path, which determines more specific ethics and morality that they adhere to.
    Sins against the Christ
    • Murder of the Innocent.
    •• Blasphemy or Heresy in word or deed.
    ••• Feeding from the Innocent without per-mission.
    •••• Causing harm to the pious.
    ••••• Bearing False Witness.
    Sins against Life
    Endangering the Community.
    •• Murder.
    ••• Drinking impermissible blood (the blood of gentiles, or of animals deemed unclean).
    •••• Failing to connect with the local Jewish community.
    ••••• Failing to Obey the laws and customs of the local Jewish community.
    Sins against the Prophet
    • Killing Unjustly.
    •• Feeding from a non-Muslim.
    ••• Acting boastful or arrogant.
    •••• Breaking a promise.
    ••••• Being dishonest or unfair in your dealings.
    Sins against the Eightfold Wheel
    • Failing to conduct yourself with honor.
    •• Acting to upset the balance of nature.
    ••• Breaking a promise.
    •••• Letting pride come before justice.
    ••••• Failing to care for the sick and weak.
    Sins against the Watchful Gods
    • Reviling the gods.
    •• Defiling a sacred place.
    ••• Not honoring a priest.
    •••• Failing to act honorably.
    ••••• Lying.

The Road of Kings
    Luminaries understand that the true height of leadership is not only control over material wealth, but also the minds and hearts of those they rule. They hold themselves to a strict code of honor and ethics, and practice diplomacy and patience to gain their just rewards.
    Tenants of the Road
    • To rule others, you must first become your own master, taming the Beast within.
    • Your word is your honor and your life. Do not break it.
    • There are only two roles in the world: master and servant.
    • Power does not hand itself to you. You must seize it and hold it.
    Sins against Kingship
    • Giving into your Beast.
    •• Breaking your word or a sworn oath.
    ••• Treating a superior with disrespect.
    •••• Failing to answer a challenge to your honor.
    ••••• Showing weakness in front of others.

The Road of Lilith
    The Bahari reject the influence or the importance of Caine as the All-Father and point to historical texts as well as folktale cycles that suggest a pre-Abrahamic time when not all vampires were thought to be from one same progenitor.
    Tenants of the Road
    • Creation is vital, the act of creation is sacred, and like our Mother, you must create often and with daring and cunning.
    • Creation is suffering, and the greater the creations, the greater the suffering. That suffering is valuable.
    • Life teaches through suffering. Be a teacher.
    • Creation is always an act of love and devotion. Be a lover.
    • Rather than learn, some will seek to destroy you and take what you have created for their own. Be a torturer.
    • Draw in the needy, those who have suffered enough to understand. Welcome them with passion and wisdom.
    • Cultivate a garden. Plant seeds and feed them with your blood and milk.
    Sins against Lilith
    • Shunning Pain.
    •• Not seeking out the teachings of Lilith.
    ••• Destroying a thinking being.
    •••• Cruelty for its own sake.
    ••••• Joining a system created by those without wisdom.

The Road of Metamorphosis
    The Road of Metamorphosis is a solitary journey. While its followers value knowledge above all, they seek to discover it on their own terms, free of a mentor’s biases or shortcomings.
    Tenants of the Road
    • Discovering knowledge for oneself is the truest, purest form of understanding and the key to Metamorphosis.
    • Seek to understand life and death, for it is the cycle that bars transcendence.
    • Indulge the Beast and deny it; like all things, it must be understood.
    • Experiment endlessly, especially upon your own body, to reveal every secret at hand.
    • Do not divorce yourself from the world, for it is what you seek to understand, but do not allow yourself to be dragged down by its entanglements.
    Sins against All Flesh
    • Neglecting to alter one’s own body.
    •• Failing to experiment due to compassion, discomfort, or personal risk.
    ••• Succumbing to conventional morality when knowledge can be gained.
    •••• Asking another for knowledge.
    ••••• Allowing pleasure or emotion to distract you.

The Road of Sin
    The appellation of Sinner is a deeply ironic one, for Cainites on the Road of Sin see no power as above themselves. How can one sin against God, when one does not acknowledge His authority?4
    Tenants of the Road
    • You are Damned already; there is nothing forbidden to you.
    • The Beast belongs to you, but you do not belong to it.
    • Act without hesitation. The laws of neither man nor God bind you.
    • Your heart holds your hunger and your freedom. Find the courage to embrace both.
    Sins against yourself
    • Refusing to act in your own best interest.
    •• Refusing to feed or kill when necessary.
    ••• Refusing to act against those who attempt to bind you.
    •••• Swearing an Oath.
    ••••• Acknowledging any authority above your own.

Call Me Ray.

Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

I think that these are an interesting addition to Requiem. I suggest making paths related to covenants and mystery cults.

Comment

I might one day, but I'm focused now on creating the old world of darkness using the Requiem rules which is... daunting even relying on the work of those who came before.

Call Me Ray.

Comment

While I appreciate the thought and effort that went into this, I would like to contest the original point.

Originally posted by Gnomish American View Post
        Hi! I'm running a chronicle of ages (The Transylvania Chronicles, heavily modified, just like I did so many moons ago but for players who HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THE WORLD OF DARKNESS).

Specifically vampires like the Tzimisce just couldn't exist without them. the very use of their discipline is anathema to any humanity rating above...zero.
        Extremely monstrous (especially the "alien" kind of monstrous) vampires that still remain "sane" to some degree, are perfectly modelable in Requiem via Humanity Banes. At low level of Humanity very few things are left to be Breaking Points and those can be protected aginst via Banes. You could come up with a Merit that increases the max number of Banes a vampire may have or simply use your ST judgement to broaded how many permutations of a Breaking Point a single Bane would cover. Voila!

If you want to stick with your idea, you may want to consider simply using the "Inhumanity" mechanic from Danse Macabre (1e) in some fashion, if you feel that the system you suggested in this thread might not achieve the desired result. Inhumanity is in many ways a DIY Road and generally fits the approach of CofD better.
        Last edited by saibot; 06-29-2019, 01:31 PM.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

Banes were my first thought, except that Roads are an actual part of the game, akin to Covenants in the COD, and I agree that this merit wouldn't work in Requiem, but I'm setting the game in the universe of the Masquerade. I'll check out Inhumanity though, I can't remember that despite the fact that I've been going to Danse Macabre a lot in the last few weeks.

Speaking of Macabre, I'm torn on whether to add the discipline bonuses to the game. I've used and loved them in the past, when I ran 1st edition, but I'm not sure if they fit with the builds of 2nd edition disciplines.

I was also thinking about allowing a player to add their Discipline rating to willpower rolls attached to their Associated Skills if their disciplines were higher. I don't know.

Call Me Ray.

Comment

First, as a storyteller and player rather fond of the sweeping Transylvania Chronicle you receive the golf clap of appreciation.

I might borrow your road translations. The thing is, I'm not entirely sure the mechanics for how they are applied needs to be quite complicated. Vamps may (Thousand Years of Nights, IIRC) take locations as touchstones, and may (Secrets of the Covenants) take Covenant/city positions as touchstones, using those to stave off Humanity loss. You could, similarly, take a "vampiric philosophical road" as a touchstone (at Humanity 1 or 2, perhaps), and then continue with your Merits representing the strength of an individual's adherence to the philosophy.

Lose the last dot of the Merit, and you lose the touchstone. You don't even have to go that far, however, as you could have the touchstone detach when a sin is committed, to be re-attached through penance that brings the vamp back on the road. So to speak.

There are some alignments with Covenants you could do, but vamps being human, philosophical adherence would be great ways to sow divisions and create conflict.

Back to banes: a given vampire could simply cover a few breaking points with them (at 3, 2 and 1, perhaps), and then let their Humanity ground out to that level while merrily fleshcrafting away!

--Khanwulf

PS. As an aside, should you wish to post AAR from your game that would be delightful, and I'm curious to find out how you intend to treat Vicissitude.

Comment

I do have players taking things and acts as touchstones already (its an nomadic game, unlike most requiem games, so I had to work around that. Examples include: a player's masterpiece lute, playing with it, touching it up for a night shores up his humanity. and Caring for the sick and dying for another. she's a war nurse, so attaching herself to a person is particularly hard, she also took a keepsake from the patient whos death led to her own.)

As for Vicissitude, I'm using the one from 13 licks, BUT i'm switching out level 4 for the Zulo shape from the translation guide.

I've (somewhat famously) ran this once before on RPGnet, so people may not be as interested as they were in the past, but as I'm being paid this time, yes I do plan on writing it up in prose form. (I'm assuming AAR is the same as AP)

Call Me Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomish American View Post
                I do have players taking things and acts as touchstones already (its an nomadic game, unlike most requiem games, so I had to work around that. Examples include: a player's masterpiece lute, playing with it, touching it up for a night shores up his humanity. and Caring for the sick and dying for another. she's a war nurse, so attaching herself to a person is particularly hard, she also took a keepsake from the patient whos death led to her own.)

As for Vicissitude, I'm using the one from 13 licks, BUT i'm switching out level 4 for the Zulo shape from the translation guide.

I've (somewhat famously) ran this once before on RPGnet, so people may not be as interested as they were in the past, but as I'm being paid this time, yes I do plan on writing it up in prose form. (I'm assuming AAR is the same as AP)
                All sounds fair. AAR does == AP. I suppose it could be a more general recounting if you wanted to split hairs, however. Might you link the previous run? I'm curious even if I really don't have time to read right now.

--Khanwulf

Comment

I don't think I ever used this, but I once wrote them up as Aspirations, letting players get special beats/experiences similar to Mage's arcane experiences.

Cavaliers of Mars Creator

Comment

Might you link the previous run?
                    [/QUOTE]
                    Can you ever!

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre...onicle.543080/

Note that the writing is BAD. I hadn't written anything in years and initially had nothing remotely like an editor.

Call Me Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X