Celerity and Quicken Sight clarifaction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celerity and Quicken Sight clarifaction

Hi All, some of you may have seen my earlier post on Cloak of Night. I realise that while I have a solid core understanding of Vampire, I am falling into the trap of all rules and likely previous misunderstandings. Since I am getting back into vampire, and am running the game, I thought this would be a good time to raise issues I have seen and sharpen my pencil so to speak. With any luck between our combined knowledge we might all learn a thing or to.

Todays question relates to celerity. I think most of the ability is easy enough to understand you get a defence bonus equal to your dots. You apply that defence bonus to dodge rolls after doubling your base dodge (tho I heard this was changed in an Errata?) and celerity works vs firearms. Also the increase to movement speed. That's all simple enough. The tricky part is the fact you can use celerity to auto dodge an attack. I also strongly suspect the rules I read now are worded differently from when I first saw them. To my knowledge if someone attacks you, you can just use celerity to evade it. However the wording seems to indicate that you don't get an extra action. So do you lose your move as a result, if your standing next to your opponent do you still get an attack on your turn? Can you celerity dodge more than once per turn?

The second question is with Quickened Sight. Now I thought this ability was clearly worded, but one of my players obviously saw it different to me after reading. First he thought its uses were limited to celerity dots, to me its clear it costs 1 blood per turn and that's all. The second part is where it says you can automatically benefit from your aiming bonus." But how much? Is it +1 equally one rounds worth. The player i have is a Marksman and wants his +6 max aim bonus. I have opinions but I thought I'd see what others here feel.

Well, for the first question the book states that you can use the "interruption" option one time per turn, to interrupt the opponent with your instant action and specify that you get no extra actions

Comment

Originally posted by MysticJackal View Post
      Hi All, some of you may have seen my earlier post on Cloak of Night. I realise that while I have a solid core understanding of Vampire, I am falling into the trap of all rules and likely previous misunderstandings. Since I am getting back into vampire, and am running the game, I thought this would be a good time to raise issues I have seen and sharpen my pencil so to speak. With any luck between our combined knowledge we might all learn a thing or to.

Todays question relates to celerity. I think most of the ability is easy enough to understand you get a defence bonus equal to your dots. You apply that defence bonus to dodge rolls after doubling your base dodge (tho I heard this was changed in an Errata?) and celerity works vs firearms. Also the increase to movement speed. That's all simple enough. The tricky part is the fact you can use celerity to auto dodge an attack. I also strongly suspect the rules I read now are worded differently from when I first saw them. To my knowledge if someone attacks you, you can just use celerity to evade it. However the wording seems to indicate that you don't get an extra action. So do you lose your move as a result, if your standing next to your opponent do you still get an attack on your turn? Can you celerity dodge more than once per turn?

The second question is with Quickened Sight. Now I thought this ability was clearly worded, but one of my players obviously saw it different to me after reading. First he thought its uses were limited to celerity dots, to me its clear it costs 1 blood per turn and that's all. The second part is where it says you can automatically benefit from your aiming bonus." But how much? Is it +1 equally one rounds worth. The player i have is a Marksman and wants his +6 max aim bonus. I have opinions but I thought I'd see what others here feel.

You can use celerity to evade an attack yes, using the interrupt (which can be used just celerity times per scene). It will be working like this:
      - The attack is coming
      - u interrupt it with your action that, in this case, is just your movment
      - since in a turn you can move up to your speed AND take an action you can go off the attack range and, if you have any mean to attack from the distance (firearms, throwing object) you can still do it

As you can see you are not performing multiple action. Simply, with the interrupt, the attacker is forced to continue his previous action not being able to pursue you to attack back.

About the second question I would say just the +1 bonus as it allows you to aim reflexively but just in that turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post

You can use celerity to evade an attack yes, using the interrupt (which can be used just celerity times per scene). It will be working like this:
        - The attack is coming
        - u interrupt it with your action that, in this case, is just your movment
        - since in a turn you can move up to your speed AND take an action you can go off the attack range and, if you have any mean to attack from the distance (firearms, throwing object) you can still do it

As you can see you are not performing multiple action. Simply, with the interrupt, the attacker is forced to continue his previous action not being able to pursue you to attack back.

About the second question I would say just the +1 bonus as it allows you to aim reflexively but just in that turn.

I was clarifying this recently, and nowhere in the rules it says that you can only move once. Meaning that running away, and then using your remaining move to get back in range for a punch is a valid interpretation of the rules.

My Bloodline conversions
        My House rules

Comment

doube post, sry.

My Bloodline conversions
          My House rules

Comment

Originally posted by Griautis View Post

I was clarifying this recently, and nowhere in the rules it says that you can only move once. Meaning that running away, and then using your remaining move to get back in range for a punch is a valid interpretation of the rules.
            Ok, yes. Avtually it make sense. You can see it as mooving around the target. I agree

Comment

Other people already covered the general celerity question, so I'll answer what I do for the Quicken Sight devotion.

The devotion allows reflexive aiming, but you don't really have a limit on reflexive actions. I generally allow it because Firearms based attacks don't get any sort of discipline similar to Vigor (I have yet to meet a dm willing to let me play an akhud). It also takes a fair bit of investment to get really crazy with it, and by that point your Vigor buddy just fought a car and won. So yeah, I allow it.

However, if you wanted to limit the bonus you could limit it by how many Auspex dots they have, which would lead them with a hard cap of plus five (a fairly good bonus, but the buildup takes awhile).

Comment

Working...
              X