X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vorkareth
    started a topic Multiple of the same merits

Multiple of the same merits

Can you have multiple of the same merits? I.e. two 5 dot herds?

If not can merits like Invested and Notary increase those merits above 5?

Cheers

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    Ah. Well, yeah, Crowdsourcing does let you go above the normal cap because it says so. If something doesn't say so, assume it can't.

Leave a comment:

• Vorkareth
    replied
    Oh for things like invested and notary I get only having one instance because having more than one doesn’t make sense.

As for exceeding 5 dots the reason I ask is because the Crowdsourcing merit specifically states that it can take a merit above 5 while the other two do not.

I personally agree with having multiple instances of merits such as herd

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    Generally speaking a Merit caps out at whatever the listed max is. Requiem doesn't really bother with them, but other games have Merits that say things like X+ as their rating (Awakening does this with magical items, Artifacts have a minimum cost of 3, but can cost as much as you're willing to pay for to get the magic you want out of one).

A lot of the CofD games also use something called Advanced Merits, which are generally supernatural only upgrades of mundane Merits. They tend to do a bit more than just effectively increase the dot rating of the base Merit. Again going with Mage (thought other games have it as well) there's the mundane Library Merit which provides +1 to +3 dice to extended checks using a Mental Skill picked when establishing the Library. The Advanced Library Merit lets you add supernatural topics to your Library, but instead of being a dice-adder for extended rolls it grants you limited access to the Informed Condition about that supernatural topic to use when you see fit.

------------

As for multiple instances of the same Merit...

Usually the text says directly if it's meant to be the case. Outside of that, it takes a bit of applying common sense. How would you get Notary more than once at a time? Once the Invictus recognizes you as one, there's no reason they'd do it again. The same is basically true of Invested. Why would the higher ups in the Invictus give you even more stuff to use at your discretion when that's a pool of resources they have to manage between all their members?

Leave a comment:

• tsusasi
    replied
    The answer to both is sometimes. You can have multiple versions of the same merit to reflect different groups of people or a different location for it to be applicable.

And sometimes merits can effectively boost other merits above 5. That is most likely to be the case when the merit only provides a static rating value bonus to relevant rolls.
    It's up to your ST as he may be using a no more than +5 to -5 modifiers on a roll from a single source.

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    Originally posted by Vorkareth View Post
    Can you have multiple of the same merits? I.e. two 5 dot herds?

If not can merits like Invested and Notary increase those merits above 5?

Cheers
    For the first, of course you can.
    A common example could be two herds in different cities

Leave a comment:

Working...
X