Is The Unholy Claimed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is The Unholy Claimed?

With the recent action on the Spilled Blood thread I was thinking about the Brood.

In Secrets of the Covenants there's the ritual Pledge to the Worthless One. It specifically references Beliel, so I'm assuming this ritual is how one gets Claimed.

The Pledge has a number of effects that fit with The Unholy.
    • You get all the advantages of being in frenzy. Claws of the Unholy come out whenever you frenzy.
    • You get a witch mark. She's got chicken-skin arms.
    • You get a familiar. Apparently she's always got crows around.

The theory is contradicted by the fact that the blog mentions that Claimed only embrace larvae, and The Unholy embraced a dude in Chicago. Also, The Unholy never seemed like a joiner to me. But maybe the Brood is a political faction made up of Claimed, and she's simply Claimed.

Well, the Unholy undoubtedly has stronger connections for her Beast than the average vampire, but I'll be wary from saying she is Claimed. Her strange features are a result of the unique form of Embrace, which seems to include the Strix in some way. Of course, that's just what the story says, and it may have in fact included a some form of "claiming", but all we have to work with is stories- and it is also a really cool one, IMO.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Edit: Nevermind, they embrace draugr, not larvae, I shall be outcast it seems.
      Last edited by Gnomish American; 08-14-2019, 09:47 AM.

Call Me Ray.

Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

Comment

While it’s a possibility, it’s uncertain: she could be empowered/influenced by a great number of things In the World of Darkness. My personal take on her is that she has long been possessed by a particularly powerful Strix- potentially the one who spawned the Gangrel all those millennia ago, and has since achieved Synthesis with her. All her peculiarities are little more than the result of Strix tweaking and forgotten Blood Sorcery.

But that’s just my take on her. If you feel that she has been Claimed, go for it!

Comment

Yeah originally I probably thought Claimed or alternative clan. Then after Vampire's second edition core probably the result of her sire being a strix synthesis (effectively doubling down on the alternative clan). While our main exposure to clans is the more 'you're a human, but a dead one' big five clans, with the Akhud and others, we've seen that things can go really awry once you get away from that core. And while being alien doesn't really help the whole blending in with humanity thing, as we saw from folks like the Pijavica, you could still have isolated or rare vampires out there who develop wildly differently than the big five do.

Comment

I think the Unholy is a childe of the strix called 'Mother' (check p. 222 of Vampire the Requiem 2e).

Comment

Considering that the Embrace is written from an out-of-character perspective (since the Unholy herself doesn't know) I'm going to be boring and take the book at face value, in which case it's almost certainly the Crone.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                Considering that the Embrace is written from an out-of-character perspective (since the Unholy herself doesn't know) I'm going to be boring and take the book at face value, in which case it's almost certainly the Crone.
                Probably my preferred interpretation for her origin.

My personal headcannon is that she doesn't have a sire, and she isn't Claimed exactly. I think she's a cogent vampire with 0 Humanity (I'm going to call the state Draugr+). The Claiming process makes you into a Draugr+ along with some other effects. But no matter what, you get permenant Frenzy, a familiar, and a witch mark (third nipple, chickenskin arms, etc).

EDIT: Whatever the Crone is, she doesn't have to be unrelated or completely dissimilar to the strix. The Strix know and can use Cruac. Doesn't the Circle think that Cruac came from the Crone?

Comment

Originally posted by DubiousRuffian View Post
                  EDIT: Whatever the Crone is, she doesn't have to be unrelated or completely dissimilar to the strix. The Strix know and can use Cruac. Doesn't the Circle think that Cruac came from the Crone?
                  They can learn and teach Crúac, but they can't actually use it without possessing vampires so that they have physical Vitae to spill. There's definitely a connection between Crúac and Strix, but it's almost certainly not developed by or for them or they wouldn't have to go out of their way to be able to use it at all.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                  X