Incarnations of the Circle of the Crone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incarnations of the Circle of the Crone

Hey, I was just wondering what kind of incarnations of the Circle you used in your games so far? Or have just thought up in your spare time.

For me, it has mostly been slightly different forms of Lilith cults similar to the Bahari of V:tM.

My Favorite I need to mention is the Amanotsukai mentioned in the Crone book,

To the point I started to study Shinto to gain a better grasp on things.

Why are they my favorite?

They act as unsung martyrs for people, going around taking on others Kegare suffering in their place.

Yet others seem them only as martyrs.

Comment

I had an iteration of the Crone that worshipped the loa of the vodoun and they clashed with another iteration that worshipped Lilith. Michelle Gomez's portrayal of Lilith in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina was an eerily similar portrayal of that setting's version of Lilith rather than the promiscuous harlot that runs around having sex with any and everything to create monsters.

In one setting the cult "worships" Takhisis. The hierophant was a Dragonlance fan and her cult is personally handpicked and consists exclusively of millenials and Gen Zs ignorant of D&D and fantasy novels. She was initially just going to fleece a bunch of humans of their money and move on but nature abhors a vacuum and she started drinking her own Kool Aid.

The previous cult in that worshipped the Morrigan as a conquest deity and they were liquidated during a praxis war.

Another cult worships the Queen. (Queen Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness.) They get some ice and shadow magic rites added to their repertoire.

One cult worships the Green Man as a fertility and plant growth god. They get a free mandragora "pet", can produce lacrima, and get bonuses to using plants in their skill checks, haven security etc., use plants for scrying and as a lucky charm to lower vitae costs on some spellcasting and discipline activation.
      Last edited by tsusasi; 09-06-2019, 08:53 AM.

Comment

One of my favorites is the Semioticians, from the Crone book. They're basically atheistic Acolytes who see all the different deities and myths as metaphors—and are able to use that interpretation to do Crúac, distilling rituals down into formulas combining different beliefs and sources.

Comment

Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
          I had an iteration of the Crone that worshipped the loa of the vodoun and they clashed with another iteration that worshipped Lilith. Michelle Gomez's portrayal of Lilith in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina was an eerily similar portrayal of that setting's version of Lilith rather than the promiscuous harlot that runs around having sex with any and everything to create monsters.

In one setting the cult "worships" Takhisis. The hierophant was a Dragonlance fan and her cult is personally handpicked and consists exclusively of millenials and Gen Zs ignorant of D&D and fantasy novels. She was initially just going to fleece a bunch of humans of their money and move on but nature anhors a vacuum and she started drinking her own Kool Aid.

The previous cult in that worshipped the Morrigan as a conquest deity and they were liquidated during a praxis war.

Another cult worships the Queen. (Queen Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness.) They get some ice and shadow magic rites added to their repertoire.

One cult worships the Green Man as a fertility and plant growth god. They get a free mandragora "pet", can produce lacrima, and get bonuses to using plants in their skill checks, haven security etc., use plants for scrying and as a lucky charm to lower vitae costs on some spellcasting and discipline activation.
          REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hated this idea on surface...

And was wanting to see the Circle fumigate it as an embarrassment

But your cool enough I think...

Comment

Which one? On the surface, all of them are goofy. But put into practice, they're all pretty good at highlighting or embodying some of the themes of the game.

Comment

Personally I found the Disciples of the Void pretty creepy. Imagine living next to a bunch of crazy nihilistic cultists who may decide to gift you with a blood doll one night, and burn the city to the ground including themselves the next one.

Comment

One iteration I thought of was inspired by the scene from Eyes Wide Shut, in which the cult functions as a private club for the city's most decadent kindred. Combining their bloody rituals with hedonistic revelry to create a cult of reclusive and terrifying eccentrics.

I called them The Red Wine Society.

Comment

I liked the Asnam.

Comment

In my game I have a cult called the Astrologers, they worship the Crone as an Unknowable Elder God from the darkness between the stars. They summon things from this primordial dark, and look to the darkness of the void to learn of what will be, what has been, and what must be. They perform fell rites in a burnt out warehouse with no roof, when you look up the stars are the wrong color, and not any constellation seen from earth. They also delve into the dark and forgotten places under the city, places as dark as the void to perform their most secret rites and commune with dark things even they cannot bear to see.

The other major cult is called the The Children, or more specifically the Daughters of Echidna and the Sons of Typhon. To them the Crone is the Mother of Monsters, their rites warp and transform themselves and others, and they midwife new monsters into the world from their mother's horrible womb. In the past few decades their ecstatic rites and bacchanals have drawn the attention of the wealthy and jaded, and they've become something akin to a secret society hiding in the shadows of the rich and powerful, displacing the Lancea et Sanctum.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                      One iteration I thought of was inspired by the scene from Eyes Wide Shut, in which the cult functions as a private club for the city's most decadent kindred. Combining their bloody rituals with hedonistic revelry to create a cult of reclusive and terrifying eccentrics.

I called them The Red Wine Society.
                      I got one of these, the Enlightened Order of Eleusis is well past its prime, and is now (in the nineties) just a particularly ostentatious gentlemen's club, but in its heyday was a full on Orgy-cult ostensibly tied to the Eleusinian Mysteries.

The other Faction in New Calais is the Circle of Salus, a small bloodcult that regularly sacrifices their followers to their own perverse version of Salus, the goddess of healing, in an orgy of blood and opium... they're led by a particularly charismatic and sadistic Anvari who preys on Junkies both for new followers and for blood.

Call Me Ray.

Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

Comment

Well, things are somewhat peculiar in my last Requiem chronicle in that, being set in Rio de Janeiro, syncretism between elements of several christian and african denominations (and or spiritualism) is a very real thing and consequently colors relations between a number of kindred, sometimes in places completely outside of the Crone/Sanctum sphere of conflict.

The Crone's local establishment so to speak, lead by the old Nosferatu Pai Chico, has a strong slant toward worship of the orishas, with other cults & sub-groups like neo-pagans & semioticians being tolerated but mostly ignored, except when looking for support against the common enemy of proselyting Lancea Sanctum. Baltazar, a Gangrel elder of the Ordo Dracul, has a strong association with them due to his origin as a Kanaima, a corpse brought back from the grave by a vengeance/justice spirit in the form of a black cat and capacity to see and communicate with the ghosts of those killed by kindred. Those ties, to both cats, Crone & dead, are shared with his childer Melchior (a radical Carthian leader) and Maria (a minor priest of the Crone, pupil of a semiotician elder, friend of Pai Chico's childe Oswaldo due to shared troubles as mortals during the dictatorship years and some contact with the Cullt of Lilith).

- The local Morbus were/are infamous for a controversial association with a cult dedicated to both the orisha Omolu, Saint Lazarus and Pestilence, periodically spreading epidemics through the city until a prince made their containment into a rallying point for local kindred of many covenants, leading to their (apparent) extinction during the early 20th century. At least until a surprising - and quite tumultuous - return to activity in the 21th century, resulting in the fall of the (then Sanctum) prince, destruction, torpor or exile of most of the primogen and loss of many kindred and mortal lives to masquerade-breaching swarms of Morbus-led plague larvae.

- An underground Cult of Lilith - a quite discrete group of kindred (in no small part due to the extreme prejudice of many local kindred to such "hybrid cults" due to the Morbus' legacy) centered around a brood of the Qedeshah bloodline, a few kabalistic blood-sorcerers of the Dametic Creed subfaction of the LS and Isaac Abramovich a Carthian Toreador ancilla in bad water with some in his own covenant since his support of the (then Crone) prince during a failed praxis seizure in the 30s, slowly leaning back towards the jewish roots of his mortal years.

His younger brood-brother, Rodrigo Nunes, a major Carthian on his own (and posssibly Melchior right hand man), has connections of his own with Pai Chico through a strong connection to capoeira and samba communities from his mortal years in the 30s. Rodrigo has something of a rivalry with Melchior's sire, due to how the elder stood in the opposing side of the praxis crisis in the 30s - and more specifically, how he was beaten within an inch of his unlife and quartered by the older vampire in the occasion.

Truth be told, Baltazar being the savage that he is and seeing dismemberment & evisceration as perfectly valid immobilization or intimidation tactics when it comes to battling other undead, did the same to many kindred at the time. It just happens that the then neonate took it as a matter of pride to get payback and the older vampire conceded to it. They dueled in the 80s and some expect them to do so again in the 2030's if they are still around.
                        Last edited by Baaldam; 09-13-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
                          Well, things are somewhat peculiar in my last Requiem chronicle in that, being set in Rio de Janeiro, syncretism between elements of several christian and african denominations (and or spiritualism) is a very real thing and consequently colors relations between a number of kindred, sometimes in places completely outside of the Crone/Sanctum sphere of conflict.
                          Might I just say that this sounds like part of an amazing city write up you have created there!

Just wondering did you ever post or publish it in more detail in some form?

Comment

Originally posted by nobby View Post
                            Might I just say that this sounds like part of an amazing city write up you have created there!

Just wondering did you ever post or publish it in more detail in some form?

It was a very engrossing game, at least before schedule limitations and other grownup life problems got in the way as they are wont to.

Nope. Have a number of notes, but never got as far as trying to make a blog or pdf out of it. The fact the rules part are wholy 1e material probably contributed a little to my procrastination too.

Comment

Working...
                            X