Rules Clarification Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Clarification Question

I'm asking for an acquaintance who is having a disagreement with their storyteller. I believe they seek the ideal Word of God, a writer or developer answering.
    I have a rules question which I believe maybe deserving errata clarification. My Game Master is trying to tell me, that players still have to pay Experience for the Cruac Dot they gain from Mantle of the Crone, because the wording of the ritual says the character gains a dot of Cruac, but does not explicitly use the word "Free" there for character both players and NPCs would have to spend experience to gain the Cruac Dot that is inflicted by the ritual. My assumption is the Cruac Dot is free by the implicit wording of the Ritual. In conjunction I think it could be made clear if or how "Sanctity of Merits" Rules interacts with non Merit based story advances which a player would gain for free, like in this case a Discipline Dot. Is it possible to get a rules errata on the subject, I would consider this a serious point deserving explicit clarification.

Quote from Mantle of the Crone Ritual:
    A character brought to wound penalties in aggravated damage by this effect gains the first dot of Crúac, if they do not already possess it.

I'm not a dev, but here's some precedent, from the same book. Look at the Oath of Matrimony on page 190.

Compare the characters’ Discipline ratings. If one character possesses more of a given Discipline, the other receives one dot in that Discipline.

[…]

If one character breaks the terms of the Oath, he loses access to any traits affected by this Oath (from either side). His Blood Potency becomes 1. Any affected Disciplines fade entirely. Merits fade as well. The partner’s traits do not fade, however; indeed, with Experience, they may be made permanent.

[…]

Dots added by this Oath should be filled in with half-dots on the character sheet, to denote their source, and that they’re ineligible for Sanctity of Merits. Dots lost by this Oath should be refunded via Sanctity of Merits, and may only return at a rate of one dot per story.
    Emphasis mine. No mention of "free" here, even though other places talk about "receiving a free dot" explicitly (even on the same page!). But it's pretty clear that the dots aren't supposed to cost xp (since they can be made permanent with experience, indicating that they aren't by default), and explicitly aren't covered by Sanctity.

Comment

Players choose to spend XP, forcing them to spend it on an ability they didn’t choose is unfair. Furthermore Crúac has drawbacks that some players might not want especially if they’re planning on a high Humanity character. Finally it doesn’t say “is eligible to buy” or “must buy” simply that they gain it, giving the Circle the ability to force anyone to buy an ability and putting their enemies back 5 XP is otherwise unprecedented and would be unfun for players who don’t want or plan on using Crúac given how long it will take to regain that XP.
      That said if your ST wants to change the wording to ‘is eligible to buy” or “gains the first dot of Crúac until a full lunar month has passed” that’s their call but I do not believe it is the intended interpretation of the wording.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
        I'm asking for an acquaintance who is having a disagreement with their storyteller. I believe they seek the ideal Word of God, a writer or developer answering.
        I have a rules question which I believe maybe deserving errata clarification. My Game Master is trying to tell me, that players still have to pay Experience for the Cruac Dot they gain from Mantle of the Crone, because the wording of the ritual says the character gains a dot of Cruac, but does not explicitly use the word "Free" there for character both players and NPCs would have to spend experience to gain the Cruac Dot that is inflicted by the ritual. My assumption is the Cruac Dot is free by the implicit wording of the Ritual. In conjunction I think it could be made clear if or how "Sanctity of Merits" Rules interacts with non Merit based story advances which a player would gain for free, like in this case a Discipline Dot. Is it possible to get a rules errata on the subject, I would consider this a serious point deserving explicit clarification.

Quote from Mantle of the Crone Ritual:
        They get that dot for free.

Well, for the low cost of being beaten nearly to death.

Cavaliers of Mars Creator

Comment

Working...
        X