Are the Strix still a focus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Strix still a focus

As its been a bit of a while since I looked over this game line I was wondering if the Strix are still a major thing in Vampire? I own the Blood and Smoke the Strix Chronicles book and honestly I was, am really, not a fan of them and what they did to the setting so I was wondering if they are still a major element in the new books.

A focus in what books? Vampire the Requiem: Second Edition is the same book as Blood and Smoke, just with a changed title and cover. There are four supplements currently released for Vampire, not counting Vampire-oriented material in non-Vampire-specific books, such as Dark Era chapters focused on Vampire.

Second edition Vampire material does not ignore the existence of the strix or avoid bringing them up in hooks. It doesn't shoehorn them into everything for the sake of it either. The supplements currently out are largely focused on topics that the strix are at most secondary to, so I suppose I would estimate the strix have less presence in supplement material than in the core book, in that the core book gives them one chapter to themselves, and they don't receive such specialized sections in books on elder vampires or dampyr and ghouls or the secrets of the covenants.

(Actually I haven't thoroughly thumbed through the Secrets of the Covenants so there might be a vignette or two there that prominently focuses the strix? I don't know. It's definitely not the majority of the content.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
      A focus in what books? Vampire the Requiem: Second Edition is the same book as Blood and Smoke, just with a changed title and cover. There are four supplements currently released for Vampire, not counting Vampire-oriented material in non-Vampire-specific books, such as Dark Era chapters focused on Vampire.

Second edition Vampire material does not ignore the existence of the strix or avoid bringing them up in hooks. It doesn't shoehorn them into everything for the sake of it either. The supplements currently out are largely focused on topics that the strix are at most secondary to, so I suppose I would estimate the strix have less presence in supplement material than in the core book, in that the core book gives them one chapter to themselves, and they don't receive such specialized sections in books on elder vampires or dampyr and ghouls or the secrets of the covenants.

(Actually I haven't thoroughly thumbed through the Secrets of the Covenants so there might be a vignette or two there that prominently focuses the strix? I don't know. It's definitely not the majority of the content.)
      Thank you. I appreciate the information. As I said I haven't been following Vampire as closely as I used to and so I am not entirely up to date on the current focus of the line, on where things are going. (Though I do own A Thousand Years of Night as elders were always interesting to me.)

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
        As its been a bit of a while since I looked over this game line I was wondering if the Strix are still a major thing in Vampire? I own the Blood and Smoke the Strix Chronicles book and honestly I was, am really, not a fan of them and what they did to the setting so I was wondering if they are still a major element in the new books.

Out of curiosity, what do you dislike about them?

While overall i have little interest in their "for the evulz" kind of interference in kindred business and not really used them, the idea of some kind of weird ephemeral spirit/entity of ill-omen spawning kindred through their intervention or mere presence is a conceit i have taken much milleage from in other forms.

Though i did throw some Julii/Ventrue & owls easter egg once or twice in game, overall their narrative niche in my chronicles has been mostly taken* by the Kanaima from Skinchangers, that have some interesting parallels and differences baked in, making for a fun curveball to throw the way of a player, lore-savvy or not.

But then i have a thing for breaking down stuff of the lore or system and rebuilding them in slightly different ways, just because.

Anyway, i'm curious about other people's experience and impressions of them.

*literally taken in places - as in, the cats saw the owls as prey, the strix knew and tried to keep their distance of Kanaima-risen vampires in most of South America.
        Last edited by Baaldam; 10-10-2019, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I am with you , love the mechanic system of the 2ED but i think the Strix got too much spotlight as the posible origin of the kindred not to mention the fact they went overboard with them being unkillable , I am fine with them not taking lethal or superficial but treating Agg as if it where merely bashing or fire as a mere physical barrier is way too much.

That said strix don´t appear to be getting that spotlight in new suplements mainly becuase they were alredy devoloped in other books and their own chronicle.

Hunger pool

Comment

Originally posted by Leandro16 View Post
            I am with you , love the mechanic system of the 2ED but i think the Strix got too much spotlight as the posible origin of the kindred not to mention the fact they went overboard with them being unkillable , I am fine with them not taking lethal or superficial but treating Agg as if it where merely bashing or fire as a mere physical barrier is way too much.

That said strix don´t appear to be getting that spotlight in new suplements mainly becuase they were alredy devoloped in other books and their own chronicle.

They are alien beings, that while connected to (some of) the kindred, possess different qualities and banes. But unkillable? Far from it. Obtenebration and merits like Ghost-Eater can mess with them on a physical level and i bet there are certainly other ways to deal with them if one just cares to look.

Also, the fluff is pretty vague, loose and contradictory in a number of places - strix is a word, like vampire. Clans and bloodlines are different, not every domain or branch of a covenant interconnected, except in the head of paranoid hunters.
            That some people see things they identify as strix in lots of places does not make them all the same, or that those who are work the same or have a common agenda anymore than it does for kindred. Damn, there are things in Requiem that are vampires but not kindred. And some that were not, but became - or even are becoming at present.

Facts can be quite different from the image one thinks is shown by the clanbooks. Kindred may brush off things that would destroy a normal, living human being. Observer bias is definitely not of those immunities.

You can have all the materials in the books in your chronicle and the NPCs conclusions be completely utterly wrong. The Striges deader than the Julii, the later tales a variety of mislabeled spirits, critters oportunistically feeding and growinng fat from the essence of legendry (as all spirits are wont to do) and literal fabrications given form of the Malkavia-fevered mind of one or more ancients desperately affraid of what they long escaped.

Blood & Smoke, Smoke & Mirrors, take your pick.
            Last edited by Baaldam; 10-11-2019, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Clearly whomever calls Strix unkillable never set the building they resided in on fire and had it collapse atop the Strix.

Comment

I am fine with them not taking lethal or superficial but treating Agg as if it where merely bashing or fire as a mere physical barrier is way too much.
                Please compare this to how capable vampires are of harming ghosts or spirits, and then remember that the Strix do not have the benefit of naturally recovering their Corpus and need to spend Willpower to heal themselves.

Resident Lore-Hound
                Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Satchel Unlike the Strix manifested ephemera can be hurt by lethal which gets downgraded to bashing and agravated stays agravated to them.

Hunger pool

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    Please compare this to how capable vampires are of harming ghosts or spirits, and then remember that the Strix do not have the benefit of naturally recovering their Corpus and need to spend Willpower to heal themselves.
                    Wouldn't it make more sense to compare Strix to ephemeral entities in the games where they are featured?

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Satchel Unlike the Strix manifested ephemera can be hurt by lethal which gets downgraded to bashing and agravated stays agravated to them.
                      If they're Materialized, yes. Please take note that the only way Materialized Strix are distinguished in this fashion is that they lose Vitae from lethal damage — which their Material Banes still do — instead of just aggravated damage, and also that they don't have access to Manifestations that render them less vulnerable than Materialization short of taking a host.

Again, they don't heal naturally and they need to spend Willpower to heal like Kindred do at the same rate. The cost of healing one point of aggravated damage isn't a week of safe living or five Vitae and a day of rest, it's fifteen Vitae, five nights' worth of verified sunset, five scenes of Vice, or some combination of those three. These are things whose Corpus maxes out at 15.

They also don't have the benefit of conditional resurrective immortality — once a Strix has a full track of aggravated damage, it's gone for good, period, no matter how much Vitae it happens to have on hand.

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                      Wouldn't it make more sense to compare Strix to ephemeral entities in the games where they are featured?
                      When the Strix are Vampire's unique thing closest to ephemeral entities, share many of the same rules, and possess distinctions in those rules that facilitate their comparison and interaction with vampires, not really.

Ghosts and spirits are bluebook entities that don't have to have their damage rules mitigate the fact that they're always at least a little bit tangible and can't recover their resources by staying in the right places.
                      Last edited by Satchel; 10-12-2019, 10:03 AM.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Satchel If the problem is the recover why not make them follow the ephemera rules and add a their own powers as exclusive numina? It fits thematically and allows more interaction.

One of those numina would be intangility which should give inmunity to all source of damage except magic or agg , this means that the strix would be hard to hurt but not somethig uber exagerated like they are right now.

Using fire to Kill them would still be a thing becuase that would be his bane which would hurt them event in the twilight form wich they would adopt if they feel in inferiority in order to survive impeding you from hitting them unless you have something to deal wich the twilight like auxpex 5 or Udjat

About the type of ephemera I would put them in the same wave of ghosts to avoid respawn but also becuase they are related to kindred , one of their powers are to interact with ghost and the death arcana already affects them.

Their Resonance would be disasters or war becuase they are the birds of dis.

Hunger pool

Comment

Satchel If the problem is the recover why not make them follow the ephemera rules and add a their own powers as exclusive numina? It fits thematically and allows more interaction.
                          There is no problem here. They're vampires. My point is that they're not unkillable just because they occupy a similar niche to ghosts and spirits without the safety net ephemeral beings naturally possess.

A Strix is insidious and corruptive. It does not sustain itself on disaster just because it is an opportunistic predator that particularly benefits from making the dying die slightly faster or rendering the helpless that much more helpless — it's hard to kill because it's made of shadows and smoke and it drinks the breath from things that can't fight it off, not because as long as evil lies in the hearts of men it will return as a consistent individual being.

One of those numina would be intangility which should give inmunity to all source of damage except magic or agg , this means that the strix would be hard to hurt but not somethig uber exagerated like they are right now.
                          What you are describing is literally worse than what they have right now vis-a-vis "this makes them too hard to kill."

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Because then Uratha would fuck them up as anticlimatically as easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post

Because then Uratha would fuck them up as anticlimatically as easily.
                              I mean, Uratha still mess them up fairly easily. Uratha bites always do lethal to whatever they happen to be biting. Just toss a pack of uratha at your local parliament of owls and give them some space to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X