X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LordHeru
    started a topic Are the Strix still a focus

Are the Strix still a focus

As its been a bit of a while since I looked over this game line I was wondering if the Strix are still a major thing in Vampire? I own the Blood and Smoke the Strix Chronicles book and honestly I was, am really, not a fan of them and what they did to the setting so I was wondering if they are still a major element in the new books.

• DubiousRuffian
    replied
    Tymeaus Jalynsfein, I don't know how useful this may be, but the way I tend to try to set up my Requiem cities is to create a situation where there are a bunch of opposing social forces that are just in balance. That way, when the PCs come around, they can stumble into a bunch of shit and cause trouble. If all goes well, the players have created characters whose lives are also just stable, or they are actively seeking stability.

The way I use the Strix is to either ratchet up tension, or to completely upend things. From reading through the books, I think there are roughly three "types" of Strix, based on their antagonism.

1. Experience junkies
    2. Fuck society/Humanity
    3. Fuck you specifically

If you're like me, your problem with using the Strix is that Requiem is a game about people hurting eachother. And people have reasons for what they do, and they can be reasoned with/maneuvered. But there is no reasoning with a Strix. So what I do isn't to aim a Strix at my players, but to aim it at something the PC cares about. That way (I think) the players can be much more active in the story, the Strix responds to PC action imperfectly, and we don't get a game about hunting the monster. Instead, it becomes "How do I save the thing I care about."

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    "Uselessly vague" are the operative words in that sentence. Making a contentious post that tells people nothing useful only clutters the boards and further harkens back to a bunch of really dumb arguments from half a decade ago from people who inflated the perceived prevalence of new content because it wasn't their cup of tea.

It is wasteful and unnecessary to put a nonspecific and intense statement of opinion in a thread that had otherwise managed to move on to more productive and enjoyable discussion, especially when your only detailed framing of the beef is based in your preference for one edition over another and somebody was already warned against edition-warring on the previous page.
    Verifying that this is right, this is right.

Leave a comment:

• Live Bait
    replied
    When you get right down to it the purpose of the Strix is to make your players go “oh shit.” They’re hard to kill, hard to predict and have unknown powers even if the players have memorised the book meaning the usual ways for players to control the situation are shut down.
    Since you’re interested in the political part of the game most crunch isn’t going to help you (some merits probably really affect your game) and the main reason the Strix matter is crunch. That said there are ways for the Strix to impact the political arena if you’re interested in doing so and if not that’s not a problem. If you’re having fun at the table then you’re doing it right.

Leave a comment:

• Tymeaus Jalynsfein
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Knowing what is useful to you would be a substantially more productive thing to disclose than that you don't like the Revised Storytelling System. Maybe start from there?

Fair enough...

I am generally am not in need of additional antagonist types, nor do I need origin stories to explain where Vampires (Werewolves, Mages, etc) come from... When I look to start a new campaign, I look for interesting characters, interesting backgrounds and interesting intersections between PC's and potential NPC's... In essence, I guess I look for things that will generate more interesting social situations, and more monsters or origin stories just get in the way of the interesting conflicts/stories that I wish to engage with, if that makes sense. I want to delve into the Politics of the Requiem and the Danse that occurs each and every night... I look for interesting locations (or even new ideas) that may spark interesting situations or solutions, though in the end, most things that I find tend to get integrated into my normal campaign city in one form or another.

Probably rambling more than explanatory, I guess, and not likely all that useful... I find that often my interests are far different that what others find intriguing or interesting and that is okay... As I said before, I understand and admit that my dislike of the Strix is likely personal and somewhat irrational, rather than well thought out and detailed... which is why I often find it hard to defend... I just do not find them very compelling or interesting.

I really LIKE the Dark Eras that have been worked on over the years, though... I find such things far more interesting or intriguing than Origin Stories or New Antagonists...

I apologize if you find this not very useful...

As for not "Liking Revised Storytelling System" I never actually claimed that above, it has some interesting pieces to it... I just prefer the previous edition is all.
    Last edited by Tymeaus Jalynsfein; 12-17-2019, 01:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Tymeaus Jalynsfein View Post
    Was not trying to flame an Edition War... was just providing full disclosure on preference... Maybe that colors the perceived usefulness of the discussion topic. As such, I thought it prudent to include it.

I am not trying to be uselessly vague... I am just not sure how to actually frame the topic in such a way that would be useful to you. I dislike the Strix on the basis that they are not useful to me in a chronicle... I apologize to you if that is "uselessly vague".
    Knowing what is useful to you would be a substantially more productive thing to disclose than that you don't like the Revised Storytelling System. Maybe start from there?

Leave a comment:

• Tymeaus Jalynsfein
    replied
    Was not trying to flame an Edition War... was just providing full disclosure on preference... Maybe that colors the perceived usefulness of the discussion topic. As such, I thought it prudent to include it.

I am not trying to be uselessly vague... I am just not sure how to actually frame the topic in such a way that would be useful to you. I dislike the Strix on the basis that they are not useful to me in a chronicle... I apologize to you if that is "uselessly vague".

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    It is hard to explain... I never thought that they were a necessary addition, and in fact (at least for me and my Table) were completely against the directions for type of antagonist that I (we) were looking for in my (our) Requiem games. I fully understand that that is a personal dislike... but it is hard for me to articulate exactly WHY I don't like them... I just don't. Apologies if that is not very informative, I am not trying to be purposely vague on my answers.

And @Arcane... Getting rid of "Haters" because they do not agree... that is a bit harsh isn't it? I would not call myself a hater, I am just someone that does not like a particular option in the gameline.
    "Uselessly vague" are the operative words in that sentence. Making a contentious post that tells people nothing useful only clutters the boards and further harkens back to a bunch of really dumb arguments from half a decade ago from people who inflated the perceived prevalence of new content because it wasn't their cup of tea.

It is wasteful and unnecessary to put a nonspecific and intense statement of opinion in a thread that had otherwise managed to move on to more productive and enjoyable discussion, especially when your only detailed framing of the beef is based in your preference for one edition over another and somebody was already warned against edition-warring on the previous page.

Leave a comment:

• Tymeaus Jalynsfein
    replied
    Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Are you the OP? because that question was originally adressed at it....

But anyway, "horrible" is not a very informative answer to "what do you dislike about them".
    Care to explain how they "broke the game" to you?

I never said that they "broke the Game"... And for Full Disclosure, I far prefer 1st Edition Chronicles over 2nd Edition...

It is hard to explain... I never thought that they were a necessary addition, and in fact (at least for me and my Table) were completely against the directions for type of antagonist that I (we) were looking for in my (our) Requiem games. I fully understand that that is a personal dislike... but it is hard for me to articulate exactly WHY I don't like them... I just don't. Apologies if that is not very informative, I am not trying to be purposely vague on my answers.

And @Arcane... Getting rid of "Haters" because they do not agree... that is a bit harsh isn't it? I would not call myself a hater, I am just someone that does not like a particular option in the gameline.
    Last edited by Tymeaus Jalynsfein; 12-17-2019, 11:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied

I just did not like them at all... horrible addition, in my opinion, to a game line that I originally loved.
    We got rid of one uselessly vague hater of the Strix, maybe don't be another.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied

I just did not like them at all... horrible addition, in my opinion, to a game line that I originally loved.

Are you the OP? because that question was originally adressed at it....

But anyway, "horrible" is not a very informative answer to "what do you dislike about them".
    Care to explain how they "broke the game" to you?

Leave a comment:

• reseru
    replied
    I haven't gone back to the core, but aren't the Strix in just one chapter? Like, in the entire second edition game line they're only in one chapter of one book? How can they have ruined the entire game when they don't even show up?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    This is not a meaningful answer to the quoted question. Would you like to try again?

Leave a comment:

• Tymeaus Jalynsfein
    replied
    Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Out of curiosity, what do you dislike about them?

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
    One of the best uses of the Strix appears in "There Are No Owls in Seattle", from the Strix Anthology.
    Not a single owl shows up in the entire story, and yet they still win.

Can't deny, that has really piqued my curiosity. Got to check it out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X