X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LordHeru
    started a topic Are the Strix still a focus

Are the Strix still a focus

As its been a bit of a while since I looked over this game line I was wondering if the Strix are still a major thing in Vampire? I own the Blood and Smoke the Strix Chronicles book and honestly I was, am really, not a fan of them and what they did to the setting so I was wondering if they are still a major element in the new books.

• Maitrecorbo
    replied
    Ive found that the best use of the Strix is not in center stage of a game but rather when they are kept on the side of the screen so to speak.
    The three ways ive seen strix work best are.

1. Rumors.
    " I've heard from a carthian who's going out with an acolyte who heard it from their circle priestess that the vamp you're going to meet is possessed by and evil bird darkness spirit or something, be careful"

2. Spanners in the work.
    "Okay coterie, we need to put our years long plan on hold because i just heard from the sheriff that they found the corpses of people we accidently killed in a police station somehow. We need to deal with this post haste."

3. Omens.
    St: You are at Elysium and nothing seems out of the ordinary except you see in each of the window a vague owl like silhouette.
    Player: I keep near the exit and plan to leave at the earliest opportunity. Just in case something happens.

Of course these are not the only way you can feature the strix and you can very well achieve similar results without the strix.
    I just feel that these methods uses the strix best.

Leave a comment:

• Stupid Loserman
    replied
    Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
    Anyway, thanks all. So basically the answer is they are there but they are only as prominent as they need to be, which in my case would be not at all.
    That is exactly how I would describe their role. I think "not at all" is very much supposed to be a viable option for those who prefer such, in the same way that not every Werewolf game needs to deal with the idigam.

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    Originally posted by Draconis View Post
    I mean, the two are very different games with very different themes. My preferred method is to mine each for new ideas and rules to use in the other.
    I super enjoyed the Translation Guide that enabled using Masquerade stuff in Requiem, mostly because there are a number of rules advances that make Requirem a bit more fluid and such.

Anyway, thanks all. So basically the answer is they are there but they are only as prominent as they need to be, which in my case would be not at all. Additionally, new Requiem books keep their attention on their topics and so unless the Strix are necessary for the topic being told about they aren't there.

Now all I need to do is find a new Animalism version that removes the whole undead animal thing that I hate and Requiem 2e might be a good way to go about things.

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    I mean, the two are very different games with very different themes. My preferred method is to mine each for new ideas and rules to use in the other.

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    Originally posted by Illuminostro View Post

You should consider Requiem dead.

VtM V5 is Requiem and old Masquerade combined.
    I tried V5 hoping, really hoping, in something good and new. I personally disliked almost everything: from the mechanics to the disciplines design and the awful combination between Blood Potency and generations which is so uselessy complicated...
    I'm sorry but requiem 2ed is still my best Vampire version... pity it's not given to it the same weight as Masquerade ....
    Last edited by Marcus; 11-14-2019, 02:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied

Edition warring of any kind is not allowed on these forums.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowdragon
    replied

Yea, all the worst bits of both combined with a bunch of new garbage. Requiem is still the best version of Vampire. Hell, I'd even take V20 over V5 any day.

As for the original topic, strix were never a central aspect of vampire, not like ghosts in Geist, or spirits in Werewolf. It's perfectly fine to run a vampire chronicle and never mention strix once.

Leave a comment:

• Illuminostro
    replied
    Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
    As its been a bit of a while since I looked over this game line I was wondering if the Strix are still a major thing in Vampire? I own the Blood and Smoke the Strix Chronicles book and honestly I was, am really, not a fan of them and what they did to the setting so I was wondering if they are still a major element in the new books.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    As an aside, here a bit of peculiar animal behaviour that is at peculiarly in synch with the Strix and yet quite antagonistic the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Rose Bailey the Strix were the progenitors of the Ventrue, right?

Leave a comment:

• Rose Bailey
    replied
    The Strix are the progenitors of some vampires, but not all vampires. There are probably also other spirits that diverged from humans and Kindred along the way that are similar to the Strix, but you might get further talking to the wolves.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Originally posted by Morty View Post
    The Strix are more or less confined to their own section of the book. The claim that they're progenitors of vampires is dubious at best - out of universe, it's up for any Storyteller to decide and in-universe the Strix seem to be giving conflicting accounts.
    Pretty much this is the reason i have always treated these assertions as questionable - some strix created a certain kind of kindred. If those kindred still exist or if the contemporary critters called strix are the same ones, or something different - even many something differents - under the same label, that will vary from place to place and chronicle to chronicle.

Kindred have been created - and still are - through a number of peculiar occult circunstances, how relevant are smoky birds, or any other things of ill-omen, to these incidents will vary with each singular individual. If any one such a being will form a clan of vampires of its own or is subsumed into an already existing one is a matter of what other undead exist or not around at the time and place such a sireless vampire comes to be. So in my games each clan is a mess of half-dozen quite similar variants of independently spawned monsters - Mekhet may be Hollow-descended, Akhud, Grettir or other things beside without even knowing or a mexican Nosferatu archeologist actually be through its own actions the first Xolotl "born" centuries after that clan's extinction, among other things besides. Julii hiding amidst the Ventrue are far from lonely in this endeavour.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 10-23-2019, 09:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    There’s a reference to the Strix in the first chapter of Dark Eras and a ton of stuff about them in the Invictus section of Secrets of the Covenants. So I think they do still play a major role in the Chronicles of Darkness universe. That being said, of course you don’t have to use them if you don’t like them.

Leave a comment:

• Morty
    replied
    The Strix are more or less confined to their own section of the book. The claim that they're progenitors of vampires is dubious at best - out of universe, it's up for any Storyteller to decide and in-universe the Strix seem to be giving conflicting accounts. Them being difficult to deal with is pretty much the point, as they're an "outside context problem" that turns the Kindred society upside-down when it crops up. All in all, they're as much of a thing in your games as you want them to be.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X