[Antagonist] Hunter, the selachian Ubermensch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Antagonist] Hunter, the selachian Ubermensch

A friend of mine used to have a VtM character who avoided detection by daysleeping underwater. I was thinking how to make a vampire who specialized in being totally aquatic, and before I knew it this guy popped out. He's made using 1st Edition rules, but lemme know what you think anyway. :-)
    Hunter

Quote: “I am become that which I am: I am hunger as ancient as the waves and remorseless as the hurricane. I swim eternally in a sea of blood, and out of that salty womb I emerge fully-formed and perfect unto myself. Rejoice, for by your deaths you nourish a legend far greater than you could ever dare to be.” {What I'm going for here is something reminiscent of Francis Dolarhyde in Red Dragon: "I am the Dragon. And [...] Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. YOU OWE ME AWE."}
    Clan: Gangrel
    Covenant: Ordo Dracul (formerly), The Unaligned (currently)
    Virtue: Fortitude
    Vice: Gluttony
    Concept: sharklike near-draugr and would-be Ubermensch

Background
    Prior to his Embrace, Hunter fancied himself “a true intellectual in the Classical Greek mode”, combining an athlete’s intuitive self-knowledge with a philosopher’s quest for Truth. Embraced by an unknown Gangrel during a hunting trip, Hunter suddenly found that Nietzche had been more right than he realized: the world really was divided into Übermenschen and Untermenschen, into alpha studs and beta cucks; he just hadn’t realized that all humans were betas, and the Kindred were the true, hidden alphas of the world.
    Treating his Requiem as a philosophical quest for Ultimate Reality, Hunter fit in neatly with the philosopher-kings and warrior-poets of the Ordo Dracul, but he was haunted by the questions raised by his Embrace: if the driving force of life is a Nietzschean “will to power”, then what is the driving force of un-life? After a few years of contemplation, Hunter arrived at an answer which finally satisfied him. In defining “will to power” as an instinct for growth and durability, he decided that the solution to the vampiric curse was not (as the Ordo Dracul claimed) to transcend it, but to embrace it: to perform one’s Requiem with total conviction, without compromise or apology to anyone.
    Looking to nature for inspiration, Hunter found his totem in the shark: an antediluvian predator which had barely changed since the seas themselves were young; a perfect, remorseless killing machine whose only goal was survival and whose only morality was to feed. Hunter spent years subjecting himself to bizarre fleshcrafting rituals, molding and shaping his undead flesh to more closely resemble that of his selachian spirit-animal. Eventually he abandoned mortal and vampiric company altogether, disappearing into the sea for weeks on end, and eventually for months. Now he cruises up and down the coast, from city to city and coastal village to coastal village, his unnaturally sharp senses always on the lookout for any human unfortunate enough to be alone near the waterfront at night.

Appearance
    For most of his prey, their first (and usually last) impression is that of a naked, hairless, humanoid monster, with sallow skin and black pupil-less eyes (complete with nictitating membranes that blink laterally when he’s about to feed). Hunter is entirely bald, lacking even eyebrows or eyelashes, and covered from head to food in microscopic denticles which cause his skin to feel like sandpaper. Hunter smells of fish and seawater (he’s usually dripping with it), and his breath smells strongly of blood. His mouth is a horror of jagged, irregular teeth which stick out at odd angles, sometimes piercing his own lips and cheeks.
    Eschewing clothing and other trappings of Men, Hunter is always completely naked. Everything that’s not hydrodynamic has been surgically removed, from his hair to his now-useless genitals. When underwater, Hunter usually spends his time living as a ghostly-white shark (the exact species of which is left to the Storyteller’s discretion), except that during daysleep and Torpor he must revert to human form.

Storytelling Hints
    Despite his animalistic appearance, Hunter is not stupid. He might not be a genius, but he’s nobody’s fool, either. He still remembers enough of his philosophy studies to make a disturbingly coherent argument for his actions; he simply has no reason to do so in most cases. If challenged to defend his thesis, it may be possible to distract or anger him, redirecting his attention for a time.
    Like his totem the shark, Hunter cannot remain still for any length of time (outside of feeding). When he feeds, Hunter almost always chooses to voluntarily enter hunger frenzy and “ride the wave” (VtR pg 178), revelling in the coppery spray of blood and the gurgling screams of the dying. In the rare cases where Hunter needs to retreat, he plunges into the sea, bites himself to get blood in the water, and then summons all nearby sharks to the area, creating a melee of blood and foaming water to cover his escape and discourage pursuit.

Attributes
    Physical: Strength 3, Dexterity 3, Stamina 3
    Mental: Intelligence 2, Wits 3, Resolve 2
    Social: Presence 3, Manipulation 1, Composure 2

Skills
    Physical: Athletics (Swimming) 3, Brawl (Underwater) 3, Stealth 3, Survival (Aquatic) 3
    Mental: Academics (Philosophy) 3, Investigation 2, Science (Oceanography) 2
    Social: Animal Ken (Sea Creatures) 2, Intimidation 4

Disciplines: Auspex ●, Animalism ●●●●, Protean ●●●●, Resilience ●, Coils of the Dragon (Blood ●, Beast ●●)
    Devotions: Partial Transformation
    Merits: Danger Sense 2, Fleet of Foot 3, Haven 2 (undersea grotto)
    Derangements: Bulimia (VtR p188), Paranoia (VtR p190), Obsessive Compulsion (“always keep moving”)
    Flaws: Painful Bite (victims remain conscious during feeding and will struggle)
    Willpower: 4
    Humanity: 1
    Initiative Mod: +5
    Defense: 3
    Speed: 14
    Health: 8
    Blood Potency: 3

Gear & Equipment
    Hunter carries no equipment on his person, but he compulsively swallows one memento of every victim he kills, possibly as a way of absorbing their spiritual essence, or as a show of dominance. If the players cut open his stomach, they will find it contains a bizarre assortment of objects including license plates, wrist watches, dog collars, wallets, cell phones, money, tattered bits of clothing, and perhaps even a magical item such as a fetish or a Token.

AttacksDamageRangeDice Pool Special
    Brawl
    0 (B)engagedStrength + Brawl
    Bite 2 (L)engagedDexterity + Brawl?
    Last edited by Super_Dave; 10-26-2019, 01:08 PM.

Author of Motor City Breakdown, [New Seeming] Mechanicals, and [Entitlement] Divers of the Cerulean Pearl
    Accuracy Consultant on Ashes of the Motor City, Author of Devil's Night in the D
    Editor, Compiler, and Senior Contributor to Tenebrous Seas
    Current Project(s): Late Antiquity/Early Medieval Dark Era for Genius: The Transgression

Given the changes in how Protean works in 2nd edition he would probably work even better after updating. Use banes like face of hunger to eliminate the humanity braking point for killing his pray and isolation from human contact and he might be able to keep some of his humanity, give him Coil of the Wyrm and make sure he has aquatic as one of his Predatory Aspects and you’re good to go.

Comment

Since Hunter really only has two attacks, Brawl and Bite (and maybe Grapple), I feel like he should use different Attributes to build their dice pools. But which should use Strength and which should use Dexterity?

Author of Motor City Breakdown, [New Seeming] Mechanicals, and [Entitlement] Divers of the Cerulean Pearl
      Accuracy Consultant on Ashes of the Motor City, Author of Devil's Night in the D
      Current Project(s): Late Antiquity/Early Medieval Dark Era for Genius: The Transgression

Comment

Originally posted by Super_Dave View Post
        Since Hunter really only has two attacks, Brawl and Bite (and maybe Grapple), I feel like he should use different Attributes to build their dice pools. But which should use Strength and which should use Dexterity?
        There's no need to use different Attributes to build different attacks with the same Skill — biting is distinguished from regular unarmed hits by the need to use a grapple first and the capacity to inflict lethal damage.

Why is his Obsessive Compulsion not the thing explicitly described as a compulsion in his Equipment notes?

Resident Lore-Hound
        Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
          Why is his Obsessive Compulsion not the thing explicitly described as a compulsion in his Equipment notes?
          Oh dang, I missed that. And now that you mention it, neither of his compulsions really work the way that Obsessive Compulsion is described in the corebook. Should I invent a pair of new Derangements, or will Storytellers get the idea and be able to make it up on their own?

Comment

Look, I know new to intermediate players want to create fantastical characters...

But how in the virtual game world would this character be viable?

Comment

His stats are a bit high for a starting character.

Comment

Originally posted by Illuminostro View Post
                how in the virtual game world would this character be viable?
                He wouldn't be, not as a PC. I designed him to work as an antagonist NPC, not as a character you'd actually want to inhabit. He also has no allies or friends, which would make him boring to roleplay.

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
                His stats are a bit high for a starting character.
                Yeah, his stats are a bit high for a starting character; I didn't keep track of exactly how many XP I'd need to build him, up from a starting character, but the cost would be... substantial. His backstory posits that he had already been a vampire for a decade or more before making the transition to aquatic monstrosity, so he's had plenty of time to level up. I wanted him to represent a decent challenge to the players, maybe even a returning nemesis, not just some random encounter with a nautical twist.

Comment

Working...
                X