Vampires and Spirits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampires and Spirits?

I've been a little behind on Second Edition (loving it though!) and I was wondering if there were any bloodlines or subsets of Covenants that allow for vampires to deal with spirits rather than ghosts? I vaguely remember a non-Bloodline or Clan specific discipline in the Book of Spirits before but I didn't know if anything had been done since then or in the new edition.

It's not something vampires are especially adept at. The Khaibit have a couple Devotions which allow them to perceive and strike ephemeral entities, including spirits. The Tenth Choir's sacrileges, in Dark Eras 2, work to hunt and devour "angels and devils," but this is defined broadly and includes "appropriately biblical spirits." A while back I wrote a homebrew clan whose intent was to provide for more interaction between vampires and ephemeral entities, the Shiryo, which can be found in this homebrew supplement. Their clan Discipline was designed in part to be an alternate take on Blood Tenebrous, the Discipline from Book of Spirits.

Comment

Blood Tenebrous has a fan update to second edition by one of the writers here.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

There's also this supplement, Spectral Hunger, which expands on interactions with ephemerals (mostly spirits and ghosts) and strix.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I remember the Khaibit but Stupid Loserman, your homebrew is way closer to what I was thinking. I like that update to Blood Tenebrous as well. And thanks nofather, I hadn't really checked out the Storyteller's Vault before and that opened up a whole new world.

Comment

There's another Storytellers' Vault update to it in Ephemeral Influence

Storytellers' Vault supplements (WoD, CoD)
            My Patreon! (CofD bonuses include: Fae Sorcery/Technomancy for Vampires, Quick Conversion for Inferno, and more!)

Comment

I am surprised that no one brought up how, while so far a 1st Edition feature, Cruac had rites for summoning and manipulating spirits, and that such wouldn't be hard to convert over to 2nd Edition.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Originally posted by falco1029 View Post
                There's another Storytellers' Vault update to it in Ephemeral Influence

Great product, love it!

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                Current Focus
                Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

For our game, I took the discipline of Blood Tenebrous and built a Mekhet bloodline around it. We actually spent a fair bit of time dealing with spiritual matters, since in our setting VII turned out to be half-spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    I am surprised that no one brought up how, while so far a 1st Edition feature, Cruac had rites for summoning and manipulating spirits, and that such wouldn't be hard to convert over to 2nd Edition.

I always really liked this facet of the Circle from 1E and I still use it thematically now. While it's mostly flavor for me at this point (I'm still working on some Homebrew for Cruac), I'd always considered their practices and sorceries connected to, or at least sympathetic to, particular kinds of spirits. The Strix are the more obvious, and dangerous, higher spirits that could be summoned but for the vast majority of their spirit work, but certainly not the only variant. The vast majority of their arts could utilize lesser spirits, wisps of archetypal intention that occur in nature that are more bestial than sapient; think spirits of predation, hunger, and fear found in wilderness regions. Their cousins in cities would be more refined to human motives, but still as useful.

Something like a blood drinking athame is formed through a compact, whether known or not, with a willingly bound lesser spirit of hunger or the hunt. The grounds where a Circle coven meets becomes a tainted nexus for these spirits, eventually allowing worshipers greater ease in the hunt or evading enemies. While they have nowhere near the knowledge of them that the Werewolves have, they still enjoy a primal, symbiotic connection to spirits by virtue of their actions.

Comment

I had thoughts about making Animalism/Auspex devotions that can effect spirits, the only one I can recall at the moment was three dots in each and let you convert Vitae to Essence and set a task for the spirit who accepts it, if they don’t do the task they get a stage of blood bond, how this effects the spirits behaviour is dependent on the spirit, a fire spirit might have a hard time understanding that fuel doesn’t think helping it burn is helpful and should actually be avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
                        I had thoughts about making Animalism/Auspex devotions that can effect spirits, the only one I can recall at the moment was three dots in each and let you convert Vitae to Essence and set a task for the spirit who accepts it, if they don’t do the task they get a stage of blood bond, how this effects the spirits behaviour is dependent on the spirit, a fire spirit might have a hard time understanding that fuel doesn’t think helping it burn is helpful and should actually be avoided.
                        Or for something twisted, a homebrew merit for Animalism practitioners that infuses a point of Willpower per point of Vitae to give it sufficient potency to exist as Essence equivalent and allow levels 3-5 of Animalism to function on spirits in the effective ranges as well.

Comment

Auspex has Spirits Touch so I saw that as the way to justify affecting spirits and animalism made the most sense as a way to get them to do what you want. I could see a bloodline that gets to use its disciplines on spirits as it’s boon.

Comment

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
                            Auspex has Spirits Touch so I saw that as the way to justify affecting spirits and animalism made the most sense as a way to get them to do what you want. I could see a bloodline that gets to use its disciplines on spirits as it’s boon.
                            Technically most Disciplines would work equally well on ephemeral entities. The problem is the lack of vectors for interacting with them.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Technically most Disciplines would work equally well on ephemeral entities. The problem is the lack of vectors for interacting with them.
                              Probably part of why I chose Animalism.

Comment

Working...
                              X