Night Horrors the Wicked Dead update to second ed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Horrors the Wicked Dead update to second ed

Do we know if anyone has updated the various splats to second ed and perhaps undone the weird blood potency 0 thing? I really liked the Witches in it for example and thought they were an interesting thing to potentially play .

The majority of them are relatively easily updated by sitting down with both the Chronicles of Darkness and Reqiuem 2nd ed. books and mapping various abilities to matching or approximating dread powers. I personally upgraded the Aswang, Formosae, and Ghuuls to full Vampire Clans in my own set of house rules. This requires some reengineering of their weaknesses and oddities. Instead of BP0 simply use Blood Potency as normal. My crude notes are below (you'll need copies of Requiem 2nd ed and NH:Wicked Dead to make full sense of them.

Aswang (Celerity, Protean, Vigor) {Dexterity or Strength}; Aswang do not sleep during the day and sunlight is not a bane that causes injury to them, although they are unable to use Disciplines so long as the sun is up. They must spend 1 Vitae every 12 hours. Incense causes aggravated damage to Aswang in the same manner that sunlight causes aggravated damage to other Vampires.

Formosae (Continence, Resilience, Vigor) {Strength or Stamina}; (see Night Terrors: The Wicked Dead for full details; ignore the discussion of Disciplines and use the ones noted above.) [Note: you can pretty easily substitute appropriate Conditions for the Flaws listed in the description of their Blood Potency progression.

Continence
    • Persistent: Add the Vampire’s dots in Continence to the maximum amount of Vitae she can store.
    • Active: By spending 1 Vitae the Vampire can:
      • Add her dots in Continence to the amount of Vitae she can drain from a victim each turn.
      • Add her dots in Continence to her dice pool when resisting Frenzy due to hunger or starvation.

​Regarding Ghuuls, I made much more substantial changes in updating them. I'll make a second post with those details.

Comment

Ghûl (Celerity, Majesty, Vigor) {Strength or Presence}

Ghûls feed from dead flesh of the noted creatures (Vampires are dead…).
      • It takes 5 pounds of dead animal flesh to generate 1 Vitae (BP 1~2). It takes 1 pound of dead Human flesh to generate 1 Vitae (BP 3~5). It takes ½ pound of Vampire flesh to generate 1 Vitae (this inflicts 1 Lethal wound to the Vampire: BP 6+).
      • Vampire flesh is addictive to Ghûls in the same manner Vitae is to everyone else (see below)
      • Ghûls can suffer from the Blood Bond if they feed on the same Vampire three times, exactly as though they had consumed that Vampire’s Vitae (see below)
      • Werewolves, Beasts, Mages, Changelings, Hunters, and Deviants count as Humans once they’re dead
      • Sin-Eaters and Mummies count as Vampires (i.e., they’re already dead)
      • Demons and Prometheans cannot be fed upon whether they are dead or alive (they’re really neither)
      Ghûls remain conscious if their last Health box is filled with Lethal damage

Ghûls fall into a Torpor if their last Health box is filled with Aggravated damage

Ghûls suffer permanent death if their bodies are burnt while they are in Torpor

Ghûls may spend 1 Willpower point when they activate Blush of Life to also benefit from +1 die to all rolls involving Presence or Manipulation

Ghûls do not have the Vampiric sense of Enhanced Hearing

Enhanced Smell: Ghûls instead smell corpses at a distance equal to 15 yards x Blood Potency. Vampires, Sin-Eaters, and Mummies all count as corpses.

Track Prey: Ghûls instead can track Vampires (and Sin-Eaters and Mummies) whose flesh they’ve tasted by scent. Add Blood Potency to any rolls to track such Vampires, Sin-Eaters, or Mummies.

Taste of Blood: Ghûls instead apply this ability to dead flesh (including flesh from Vampires) that they consume.

Healing:
      • Ghûls cannot spend Vitae to heal and instead heal like Humans
        • 1 point of Bashing damage per 15 minutes of rest
        • 1 point of Lethal damage per 2 nights of rest
        • 1 point of Aggravated damage per 1 week of rest
      • Ghûls can spend Vitae to downgrade injuries
        • Can downgrade 1 point of Lethal damage to 1 point of Bashing damage per Vitae spent
        • Can downgrade 1 point Aggravated damage to 1 point of Lethal damage per 5 Vitae spent
      Embrace: Ghûls instead must murder the Human with their bite. Thereafter they sacrifice 1 Humanity dot and roll their Blood Potency. If successful the Human rises as a Ghûl in 7 nights, less 1 night per success in excess of the first. If they fail the Human remains dead. On a dramatic failure, the Human instead rises as a Draugr.

Posthumous Embrace: Ghûls cannot embrace posthumously.

Spontaneous Embrace: When a Ghûl kills a Human with it’s bite, roll dice equal to their dots in Humanity +2. If the roll succeeds, the Human dies as normal. If it fails, the Human rises as a Revenant on some random night during the next week. If the failure is dramatic, the Human rises as Draugr instead.

The Assault & The Kiss: Ghûls lack these abilities since they feed on necrotic flesh. Hunting roll = Intelligence + Survival

Vitae Addition: Ghûls cannot drink blood but can become addicted to the flesh of their fellow Vampires; thus they must roll to resist Vitae Addiction anytime they consume Vampire flesh, with a -1 die penalty for each ½ pound of flesh consumed after the first. Once addicted follow the rules for the Addicted (Persistent) Condition as normal. Note that since Ghûls are Vampires themselves, their blood is addictive to others.

Blood Bonds: Ghûls are affected in the same manner as they consume Vampiric flesh. Each time they consume flesh from the same Vampire, the Vinculum increases by one step. A Ghûl's blood can form Blood Bonds as normal.

Ghouls: Ghûls can create Ghouls as normal.

Diablerie: Ghûls must consume every last morsel of their victim using the normal Diablerie rules. If they run out of Willpower they regurgitate some of the victim and cannot consume it again.

The Ravenous Curse: Ghûls easily become hungry, feeling its pangs far sooner than their Kindred brothers and sisters. Treat a Ghûl as being hungry when their pool of Vitae is 8 or less and starving when their pool of Vitae is 4 or less.
      Last edited by Jacob; 06-03-2020, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
        Continence
        • Persistent: Add the Vampire’s dots in Continence to the maximum amount of Vitae she can store.
        • Active: By spending 1 Vitae the Vampire can:
          • Add her dots in Continence to the amount of Vitae she can drain from a victim each turn.
          • Add her dots in Continence to her dice pool when resisting Frenzy due to hunger or starvation.
        This works fine for Continence, but I would use the update in that STV bloodlines book (they call it "Carnem" and give it to the Macellarius bloodline, but the mechanics are mostly from 1e Continence).

That aside, the main thing about updating the Formosae, to me, is to get rid of some of the "thin = beautiful, fat = ugly" in their original writeup. It seems like the original intent was for people they feed on to waste away and die of starvation, but also become beautiful as if they had Victorian Novel Disease. So I'd play up that angle hard, and tone down the "fat = ugly and gross" parts.

The Jiangshi don't need much of a mechanical update, they work pretty well as they are. Same for the Penanggalan; just replace Mengilai with some appropriate Dread Powers, because the book says Kindred can't learn it anyway. Ghûls, Jacob's covered quite thoroughly. And most of the rest (mnemovores, the tongue worm things, etc) can just use bluebook Horror rules, since none of their mechanics are meant for PCs.

Comment

If I recall correctly, the Jiangshi were actually updated in a sidebar somewhere in the 2nd Ed. Requiem book.

Totes agree, for many of them you can just use bluebook Horror rules.

Comment

If I recall correctly, the Jiangshi were actually updated in a sidebar somewhere in the 2nd Ed. Requiem book.
            Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill (The Triangle) in the settings chapter. Page 255.

Resident Lore-Hound
            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

jacob did you make rules for the Cihuateteo?

Comment

Originally posted by Caedus View Post
                jacob did you make rules for the Cihuateteo?

Regrets. I have not. I haven't had an opportunity to squeeze it into any of my Chronicles. However, I might have time next weekend to re-read their bit of the NH book and then suggest some directions I might go.

Comment

Re: The Cihuateteo. I would be inclined to take one of the following approaches to update them:

1) Examine the Psychic Vampire template in Hurt Locker, then re-engineer the Cihuateteo as a minor template, simply reusing much of the existing description. I.e., they're similar to Vampires but have Integrity and lack a Vampire's natural resistance to injury (since they're alive). They have Blood Potency 0 like a Ghoul. Replace the Predator's Taint rules with the 2nd ed rules for Lashing Out.

2) If you wanted to fold them directly into Vampire culture like has been done with the Jiangshi and like I did for my own Chronicles with the Aswang, the Formosae, and the Ghûls, I would take the following approach: Treat the Cihuateteo as Daeva Bloodline with Cruac, Majesty, Obfuscate, and Protean as in-clan/bloodline Disciplines. The rites listed in their description can easily be reworked as Cruac rituals. In addition to the normal Daeva curse, Cihuateteo automatically spend a second Vitae upon reawakening each night to reflexively affect themselves with the Blush of Life (which if you read the fine print, causes a Vampire to suffer damage as though they were mortal [call it something like 'The Blushing Curse']). Additionally, whenever a Cihuateteo spends a Willpower point to resist Frenzy, they gain a +3 dice bonus to the roll to resist instead of the normal 1 turn delay to the roll. When a Cihuateteo awakens at dusk, they may spend 1 Willpower point to avoid spending the additional Vitae and are thereby not affected by the Blush of Life; however, the Cihuateteo may not spend Willpower points to resist Frenzy for the rest of the night.

Comment

one of the other Night horror books (dont remember which one) Had a cool devotion feed the hungry eyes.

Comment

Re: The Cihuateteo. I would be inclined to take one of the following approaches to update them:

1) Examine the Psychic Vampire template in Hurt Locker, then re-engineer the Cihuateteo as a minor template, simply reusing much of the existing description. I.e., they're similar to Vampires but have Integrity and lack a Vampire's natural resistance to injury (since they're alive). They have Blood Potency 0 like a Ghoul. Replace the Predator's Taint rules with the 2nd ed rules for Lashing Out.

2) If you wanted to fold them directly into Vampire culture like has been done with the Jiangshi and like I did for my own Chronicles with the Aswang, the Formosae, and the Ghûls, I would take the following approach: Treat the Cihuateteo as Daeva Bloodline with Cruac, Majesty, Obfuscate, and Protean as in-clan/bloodline Disciplines. The rites listed in their description can easily be reworked as Cruac rituals. In addition to the normal Daeva curse, Cihuateteo automatically spend a second Vitae upon reawakening each night to reflexively affect themselves with the Blush of Life (which if you read the fine print, causes a Vampire to suffer damage as though they were mortal [call it something like 'The Blushing Curse']). Additionally, whenever a Cihuateteo spends a Willpower point to resist Frenzy, they gain a +3 dice bonus to the roll to resist instead of the normal 1 turn delay to the roll. When a Cihuateteo awakens at dusk, they may spend 1 Willpower point to avoid spending the additional Vitae and are thereby not affected by the Blush of Life; however, the Cihuateteo may not spend Willpower points to resist Frenzy for the rest of the night.

Shadows of Mexico, also has some fun bits on the Cihuateteo.

Originally posted by Shadows of Mexico, pg.57-58
                      The Cihuateteo, considered the envoys of the Aztec Underworld, were exclusively female and haunted the roads and byways of the empire. It is believed that there were two distinct lines of Cihuateteo, one Gangrel and one Daeva. Because of their status as representatives of the gods of death, the mortals of the region treated the Cihuateteo with fear and respect and always made sure to give them a wide berth. How, exactly, the Cihuateteo identified themselves to the mortal populace is unknown. They are described, in certain texts, as having “fleshless faces” and “eagle claws.”
                      In my own games i also used the association to Tezcatlipoca (the smoky mirror) & Tlazoteotl (the whore) to connect them to Red Jack, Blood Mary and the Children of Thorns, among other things of a very convoluted shadow war of sorts.

I played with the Aswang too, though more background-wise, by making a family of celebrities/models/socialites akin to the Kardassians & others, with subtle but powerful connections to both Abbey Road and the Cheiron Group.
                      Last edited by Baaldam; 07-31-2020, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post

This works fine for Continence, but I would use the update in that STV bloodlines book (they call it "Carnem" and give it to the Macellarius bloodline, but the mechanics are mostly from 1e Continence).

That aside, the main thing about updating the Formosae, to me, is to get rid of some of the "thin = beautiful, fat = ugly" in their original writeup. It seems like the original intent was for people they feed on to waste away and die of starvation, but also become beautiful as if they had Victorian Novel Disease. So I'd play up that angle hard, and tone down the "fat = ugly and gross" parts.
                        Very much agreed. In fact i have been thinking of experimenting with two directions of late, the "beautiful wasting" angle you cited and the ghoulish "fat eaters", with some mix-up from the Macelarius, Liver-Eating and other such stuff.

As an aside, both the Galloi & Formosae cite the Cult of Cybele as source of their "from grotesque to alien beauty" themes and powers, a confluence of ideas and bits of lore that i would exploit as basis for a homebrew "Fairest" clan, with Aswang, Formosae & Galloi tied together as bloodline branches, Izanami or similar figures in place of Cybele and made Taiwan (isla formosa) into a major center of theirs, in a game i STed a bunch of years ago.

The Aswang in particular had a family of socialites/supermodels, somewhat inspired in the Kardassians', with a number of connections in the Abbey Road and Cheiron Group from H:tV.

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
                        The Jiangshi don't need much of a mechanical update, they work pretty well as they are. Same for the Penanggalan; just replace Mengilai with some appropriate Dread Powers, because the book says Kindred can't learn it anyway. Ghûls, Jacob's covered quite thoroughly. And most of the rest (mnemovores, the tongue worm things, etc) can just use bluebook Horror rules, since none of their mechanics are meant for PCs.

Well, of late i have toyed with a plotline around what might be Mnemovores evolving into some sort of kindred, actually.
                        Last edited by Baaldam; 02-01-2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

These are all great ideas. I only skimmed Wicked Dead once but I would love to see a 2e update.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                            These are all great ideas. I only skimmed Wicked Dead once but I would love to see a 2e update.

Wicked Dead, Danse Macabre & Mythologies are my favorite Requiem books ever. I keep dragging them out of the shelves to mine for stuff to kitbash and rework in a variety of weird manners with all kinds of books - like making Red Jack (Blood Mary's Spear Counterpart in Mythologies) into a Hollow's rogue Ba, while also giving him a mirror-themed version of the Children of Thorns from Danse Macabre and the Glass Mansion from Reliquary as wandering mirror maze domain. Or connecting the chapters on Torpor from Mythologies with both Astral Realms from Awakening and the Underworld from Book of Dead. Along with loads of other convoluted, crazy stuff.
                            Last edited by Baaldam; 10-29-2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Baaldam I heard Mythologies was good.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Working...
                              X