Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hows a Dhampir to influence their School office or neighbourhood?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hows a Dhampir to influence their School office or neighbourhood?

A lot of the powers of a Dhampir take a lot more OOC skill to use then Disciplines..

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    A lot of the powers of a Dhampir take a lot more OOC skill to use then Disciplines..
    Wath does OOC stands for?

Comment

I think most dhampirs are social creatures, even as teens.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

Wath does OOC stands for?
        Out Of Character. In this context, the player of the dhampir would be using his powers with an understanding of how the mechanics affect others but he would not really know in character because they affect things that can’t be observed casually without multiple uses and tests.

A character can’t immediately see things like placing a -2 to others Social skills because the character doesn’t know the victim of their power failed a Social roll because their pool was reduced from 4 to 2. The concept of rolling dice to see if you can succeed at something isn’t incorporated as an in character activity into most roleplaying games.
        Last edited by tsusasi; 05-31-2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Well, how does a Vampire do it?

That is to say that Dhampirs, like Kindred, are individuals first and foremost and hence don't have one single way of influencing their school, office or neighborhood. It'll depend strongly on what Clan their Vampire parent was, what resources they can marshal from their parent, and what their individual personal skills are like. Even beyond Clan, Themes make a huge different for the Dhampirs: Just like a Daeva focused on Vigor can be a very different beast (or Beast) than one focused on Majesty, his daughter is going to be very different depending on what Themes she can focus her Twists through.

That said, there are probably a few commonalities that an ambitious Dhampir will be using. First of those is most likely just a keen understanding of their limits. Dhampirs are far from the scariest thing out there in the world and they know it. If someone else really wants what they have, there's probably only so much they can do to stop it. Fortunately, they are aided in this by Blood Sense, allowing them to recognize pretty much every supernatural being. It works best on Kindred, but they can still notice them, and that means that to some degree, they might know who to influence and who they absolutely shouldn't, so that's one advantage.

They also all have Omen Sensitivity and Thief of Fate. Omen Sensitivity is pretty useful, given that it's a set of clues to be obtained at the Dhampir's leisure. Unusually for a Supernatural Merit, it has no willpower cost to activate, and while it has an associated Condition, that's still pretty useful all in all. If you want to gain influence over something, you can easily gain knowledge of potential threats, problems, blackmail material and so on.

Thief of Fate can help as well. I'm not sure how often a person rolls failures in a day, but I know that a day of enforced dramatic failures can probably cause problems far beyond that day. More so, if you keep stacking them up on someone. The vice-principal at that school giving you trouble? Bump into him every morning and watch his life go to hell. Sure, he'll cotton on real quick that it's you because of the drawback, but what's he realistically going to do about it? If the chairwoman of your HOA is no longer going to meetings so she doesn't have to shake your hand anymore, that's mission accomplished right there. Sure, it's not going to make you loved, but you're a bad luck machine for literally everyone you touch unless you put specific effort into avoiding it, so maybe being universally loved wasn't in the cards anyway.

Moving on to Clans, the Mekhet- and Ventrue-descended Dhampirs have an advantage in that their innate Twists are the ones best suited for some sort of social intrigue. A Mekhet can, for a time at least, cuckoo themselves into anyone's life. You can pump people for information, asks them for (short-term favors), and so on. A Ventrue Dhampir can, in the meanwhile, requisition resources from groups by acting like she's part of that group, so long as she pays them back later.

Getting away from powers that you just get innately and towards Dhampir powers you pay experiences for:
          • Bestial Echo lets you push people one way or another using the Predatory Aura. It's no Dominate, but it'll do the trick in giving people tendencies - plus you gain a +2 bonus rolls to act in accordance with it if you win. Also useful in that it's effectively free against Mortals: It has no cost, and if they win they cannot impose a Condition on you.
          • Draught of power lets you make up for any lack of natural attributes, provided you're okay with being blood bound.
          • Fortuity, combined with something a theme like Victory, Control, Terror or Desire or something else that you can use to manipulate people can definitely help boost social activities further.
          • Foreboding, Portent and Doom's Behest further let you become someone capable of cursing others' actions, if you so need. The latter in particular can help you become some sort of cult leader, if you want.
          • If you're a member of the Circle, you can learn Crúac. It's costly for you, but that's still one hell of a broad list of potential abilities.
          • You can still learn supernatural Merits as normal (at least by my reading), which also opens up a lot of space.
          In summary:

As a Dhampir, you have fate-related luck and understanding, which you can further augment by your adherence to your Themes channeled into appropriate Twists, by adding on Supernatural Merits, and by practicing either Malisons or Crúac. As such, you have a lot of options. Most of those are probably not going to let you go up against a serious supernatural power on its own turf, but it's definitely enough to carve out a niche for yourself in a very large number of ways.

Comment

Enjoyed reading that comment just for the ideas. Very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirthless View Post
              They also all have Omen Sensitivity and Thief of Fate. Omen Sensitivity is pretty useful, given that it's a set of clues to be obtained at the Dhampir's leisure. Unusually for a Supernatural Merit, it has no willpower cost to activate, and while it has an associated Condition, that's still pretty useful all in all. If you want to gain influence over something, you can easily gain knowledge of potential threats, problems, blackmail material and so on.

Thief of Fate can help as well. I'm not sure how often a person rolls failures in a day, but I know that a day of enforced dramatic failures can probably cause problems far beyond that day. More so, if you keep stacking them up on someone. The vice-principal at that school giving you trouble? Bump into him every morning and watch his life go to hell. Sure, he'll cotton on real quick that it's you because of the drawback, but what's he realistically going to do about it? If the chairwoman of your HOA is no longer going to meetings so she doesn't have to shake your hand anymore, that's mission accomplished right there. Sure, it's not going to make you loved, but you're a bad luck machine for literally everyone you touch unless you put specific effort into avoiding it, so maybe being universally loved wasn't in the cards anyway.
              Maybe it is because i reading about those things from a uninformed perspective, but the names and descriptions of these powers are really bringing the Bohagande bloodline and the Sunnikuse discipline from 1e to mind. I ask myself what kind twists and updates to the bloodline that kind of association could lead into - maybe something kindred but not quite, like Revenants, 1e Larvae or Dhampirs themselves?

Well, there was that thing in 1e about people "tainted by vampiric influence" (ghouls, the blood-bound or heavily dominated, etc) at the time of death sometimes suffering from Spontaneous Rising. Being a dhampir is definitely a taint of sorts. Could a dhampir spontaneous rise as kindred but twisted, a rare state akin to Hollow Mekhet perhaps? Hmmmm.
              Last edited by Baaldam; 07-16-2020, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Vice principal could Expel you or paddle you... and for such reasons... he'd probaly get fired.

Comment

If TV and movies have taught me anything it’s that the ability to get a yes/no answer on a rumour would make one a god in the American high school social ecosystem if applied with a little common sense.

Comment

Yes No answer to what?

Comment

Is he cheating on her? Will there be a pop quiz on history tomorrow? Does she like me like me? Is this information the grade A blackmail material I think it is? Did Jack plant that letter in the hopes I will embarrass myself asking her out or did he really drop it off for her and hopes I’ll be over cautious? At the most benign having a reputation for sorting out the truth about gossip would make you useful, if you set your mind to it you can easily ruin quite a few people with access to enough yes/no answers.

Comment

Ideas how to avoid Ruining your friends with thief of fate? gloves are an o bvious first step.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                          Ideas how to avoid Ruining your friends with thief of fate? gloves are an o bvious first step.
                          Keep your hands within your hoodie's sleeves/pockets when not otherwise occupied, i guess.

Comment

...You thought you were going to have friends?

That is to say, being a Dhampir is not ideal for cultivating and maintaining healthy interpersonal relationships. Thief of Fate is the biggest one (and I'm not sure that, if I were the ST in a Dhampir game, I would interpret 'touch' quite so narrowly as you) but you're still cursed.

To keep up the high school scenario: You're always going to be the weird kid. Either it's because you're wearing gloves all the time, or it's because whenever you use your amazing powers to be a sneak, you also become either Obsessed or Spooked, making you pretty much look like a weird, obsessive sneak. People are going to wonder how you know what you know, why you act so weirdly, and even the plausible lies that validly answer that question aren't going to make you popular. Powerful, sure, but friends?

You're going to be draining a lot of willpower preventing physical touch anyway (try to see how often you can avoid being touched entirely in gym class), meaning you can't use those Willpower points in any of the myriad way normal people do (to, say, study, or do well on tests, or interact socially with your peers).

And that's not even counting what happens if you get hit with the Affliction, since pretty much any one of those, when applied, is going to ruin your school year at best. At worst, you're going to get tased by school security and become intimately familiar with the term "school-to-prison pipeline".

In other words? You're an abomination that should not exist, the child of something dead. Aiming to protect your friends might be far beyond your abilities, when a much more plausibly goal to set yourself is to leave through graduation rather than expulsion.

Comment

Fair enough

Even a Multi Millionaire kindred probaly might decide home schooling By one of his ghouls is better.

Comment

Working...
                              X