How worth 1e Corerulebook only for reading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How worth 1e Corerulebook only for reading

To explain it more, in german the only CofD books that are available are VtR Corerules, Coteries, Lancae Sanctum, Antagonists and WtF Corerules. Now I want to ask here, how much worth would it be, to by the corerulebook of the first edition only for reading about the world because I got a little curious how requiem would differ from masquerade?
    Last edited by Koronus; 07-10-2020, 04:14 AM. Reason: updated because of graylion pointing

As I am from Austria I need to clarify two things.
    First my native language is german and so please point out if the english I write is broken so I can improve.
    Second I do not own VTMV nor any line after M20 because it is not out there and I wait for the translation.

Originally posted by Koronus View Post
    To explain it more, in german the only CofD books that are available are VtR Corerules, Coteries, Antagonists and WtF Corerules. Now I want to ask here, how much worth would it be, to by the corerulebook of the first edition only for reading about the world because I got a little curious how requiem would differ from masquerade?
    I think it's still worth of as long as you are not considering disciplines, blood sorcery and mechanics.
    Another huge change is the mist of ages as well which has been taken out from the 2nd ed.

Comment

It gives you the tone of the game. Also the major clans and covenants.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Which version of Requiem are you playing?
        If you're using mechanics and setting material from 2nd edition, then 1st edition isn't worth it. They aren't the same game in terms of clan, covenant, pseudohistory/origin stories and metaplot. Just labels. If you're looking for additional or different mechanics because you don't like certain features then it may be worth it.

Comment

tsusasi Oh. They’re that different? I’ve only read some of the 2e stuff in detail, but I flipped thru the 1e corebook once and the clans and covenants looked at least superficially similar.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
            Which version of Requiem are you playing?
            If you're using mechanics and setting material from 2nd edition, then 1st edition isn't worth it. They aren't the same game in terms of clan, covenant, pseudohistory/origin stories and metaplot. Just labels. If you're looking for additional or different mechanics because you don't like certain features then it may be worth it.
            It seems you did not read thoroughly or I did not described enough but I do not have any kind of Chronicles of Darkness books. I started with the the World of Darkness with the 20th Anniversary books and now thought of buying the corerolebook of Requiem and Forsaken because those are the only ones that made it for german translation. I do not plan to play them (because the WoD basic Rulebook for this is not available for myself and because I have no other people to play) and only thought about buying it to read it for the fluff.

First my native language is german and so please point out if the english I write is broken so I can improve.
            Second I do not own VTMV nor any line after M20 because it is not out there and I wait for the translation.

Comment

Koronus the fluff in VtR 1e is pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Koronus View Post
                To explain it more, in german the only CofD books that are available are VtR Corerules, Coteries, Antagonists and WtF Corerules. Now I want to ask here, how much worth would it be, to by the corerulebook of the first edition only for reading about the world because I got a little curious how requiem would differ from masquerade?
                Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. VTR 1e was the first corebook released for the CofD after ending the WoD, and it shows, with some awkwardness over how willing they were to diverge from Masquerade still. The writing is dry and not super characteristic of how CofD or Requiem ended up becoming in later years, and little elements are misleading, like how the lexicon contains an entry for "caitiff," an idea which is never returned to in any other Requiem material. You could get about as much value looking up the clans, covenants and Disciplines on wikis.

Comment

Stupid Loserman agreed overall. As far as I can tell, Requiem 2e is far superior to 1e.

Comment

Case by case basis, like Blood the Players Guide for Vampre the Requiem is rules light and a great book for anyone new to VTR2 that did not come from VTR1. Also great for players.

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                    Current Focus
                    Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                    Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

There's plenty of good content for 1e Requiem, but Koronus is looking at an extremely limited set of translated books available, and the VTR 1e corebook alone paints a different picture from VTR with the later supplements that fleshed out the world and further defined its identity as distinct from Masquerade.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
                        There's plenty of good content for 1e Requiem, but Koronus is looking at an extremely limited set of translated books available, and the VTR 1e corebook alone paints a different picture from VTR with the later supplements that fleshed out the world and further defined its identity as distinct from Masquerade.
                        While I agree with some, the state of being a vampire, and how to play a vampire in Blood is amazingly well presented. And if you have a player that has come from say D&D or some such and never before played an undead predator within the twisted Kindred society this guide is very valuable. So each is a case by case based on what you are running, who your players are and how you structure the game.

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                        Current Focus
                        Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                        Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Graylion View Post

While I agree with some, the state of being a vampire, and how to play a vampire in Blood is amazingly well presented. And if you have a player that has come from say D&D or some such and never before played an undead predator within the twisted Kindred society this guide is very valuable. So each is a case by case based on what you are running, who your players are and how you structure the game.
                          If you mean Blood and Smoke the second edition corerulebook then this advice is at the wrong thread. I asked clearly about the first edition crb because sadly only this got translated.

Comment

Again, not one of the books available to OP.

I also agree that VtR 1e core isn't fully representative of how first edition developed later, and not of second edition, but if you only want to compare the changes between VtM and VtR, it should suffice.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

This would be more relevant if The Blood were in the list of books translated into German available to Koronus. But it isn't, so suggesting it doesn't seem helpful. The only Vampire supplement listed was Coteries.
                              Last edited by Stupid Loserman; 07-09-2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X