Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do the covenants think of the strix?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do the covenants think of the strix?

I realized that I couldn't figure out what the Sanctified would say of the strix, and then realized that I don't know what any of them would say.

Well, most sects of the Circle of Crone regards them as ancient gods, progenitors of kindreds and the like.
    Invictus sees them as a dangerous enemy, because of their attitude to wreak havoc in every Elysium they find.
    Ordo dracul would surely try to capture them for study, probably classify them as an unusual mutation of vampire curse.
    Carthian i don t know, but i remember a passage on Longinus testament talking about strix, saying that they are not to interact it, because they are worse than hell
    Last edited by Neos01; 08-04-2020, 05:36 AM.

Comment

It varies, but for the most part they would view the Strix as enemies to destroy due to the antipathy the Owls show most kindred.

Comment

All the covenants are very wary of the Strix. Besides their absolutely vice ridden morality, they seem to take particular glee with just messing with the Danse Macabre in a way that even the Circle cant allow (I use the Circle as an example due to how, in the rare case a domain is dominated by them, they tend to handle the masquerade. They handle it in a VERY loose way).

Of course, there ARE ways covenants would hope to interact with them to their own benefit.

The Invictus can use them (very risky, since the Strix would likely be trying to do the same thing) to help gain temporal power or to spread lies of the Invictus being a necessary entity. Because, as untrustworthy as they are, who will deny it when a strix talks of the greatness that is Invictus?

Carthians, when the opposition, can make VERY risky alliances with Strix in order for a full on Revolution to happen, along with maybe finding secrets of Carthain Law. As the primary power, I think they could keep invictus for much the same reasons, with the added caveat of using it as an "experimental" aspect to a new vampiric society.

The Circle can find mysteries of Cruac within Strix. Simple as that. As Neos01 said, its believable that some sects would even see them as gods in this way (dont mistake that for stupidity in handling them. More like seeing a learning experience)

The Ordo Dracul is also simple. The strix are to be studied. The strix could be used for Coils. The strix are a chance to learn more about the vampiric condition.

The Sanctified...that's actually a little difficult. The Strix, with their rampant hedonism and tendency to play with their toys (and utter lack of humanity) make them Anathema to Sanctified teachings. The followers of Longinus are supposed to be the perfect predators who balance monstrosity with scholarly devotion, and strix think that's a waste of time. The one way I can see another relationship is that the Sanctum wants to know the secrets of the past (and occult) as the spiritual side for vampires. The strix are living grimoires of such knowledge. Of course, I see that as soon as they think they have all it knows, that Owl is gonna die.

Comment

Most Kindred think of Strix as boogeymen; either scary stories to keep people in line or as scary monsters who are there to fuck up your shit, depending on whether they actually believe Strix are real or not. That they are not to be trusted is a widely known fact, and each Covenant probably reflects that in any official policy they might have (with the exception of the Circle which does not have Covenant-wide policies). The question is only to which degree the Covenants (sans Circle) oppose the Strix.

Lancea is by far most opposed to the Strix, what with them being religiously mandated enemies.
          Invictus and Carthians (with the exception of the more extreme anarchists in the movement) are ideologically opposed to the Strix and the chaos they sow.
          That said, individuals or close-knit coteries from these Covenants may very well make deals with the owls despite what their respective organisations may think of it, including for reasons that could theoretically further their Covenant.

Ordo Dracul cares often little about Kindred society and has no ideological reasons to oppose the Strix, but they do consider inviting possession (or other types of submission to otherworldly entities) to be an offence so grave the only suitable punishment to be diablerie. In short, there should be no blanket policy regarding the Strix other than "don't get in over your head" but anyone who is known to have dealt with them is sure to be suspected of foul deeds. Individual Academies might also just forbid such practices completely.

It's impossible to say anything about the Circle on a whole. Some Covens will cautiously make deals with the owls, some will revere or outright worship them as vampiric gods or ideals to work towards, and some will consider the Strix to be unforgivable enemies for various reasons (one being their alleged knowledge of Crúac which could be considered theft from the Circle). The only generalisation that could be said is that they're the most likely Covenant to make deals with the Strix.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

My assumption for the Strix, when I run a game, is that all the Covenants hate and oppose the Strix and hunt and kill them if possible and that this has little or nothing to do with the actual philosophy of the Covenants. I'd say that pretty much any Covenant bar the Lancea et Sanctum (whose holy text has very explicit...views on Owls that possess Vampires) could get along with the Nemeses in a broad philosophical sense, if the Owls weren't absolutely committed to making Kindred life hell.

But the Strix are that, so they do. No Covenant can survive if it's okay with the existence of outside forces that try to hunt and kill its members. If they were, the Covenant would be deserted. If they tried to make deals to preserve themselves at the expense of others, everyone else would come gunning for them (this is in fact exactly what happened to the Children's Crusade). So, all the Covenants will try to get rid of any Strix they see because of what the Strix do, rather than what they are.

That's not to say there's not individual Kindred or Covenant branches that'll try to make deals to their own benefit, but more that the overwhelming trend is that the Strix fall under the same category of threat as Vampire Hunters do: They're an existential threat to Vampiric society, so while they can sometimes be used or diverted if you're smart enough, trying that is dangerous. They're so opposed to you that, to paraphrase the Invictus book on vampire hunters, "even hating them is pointless". So most of the time, it's best to get rid of them by any means possible. You kill them, force them to flee, trap them.

On a Covenant level, I'd say that the Invictus and Carthians are probably the ones who hold the most pragmatic view of the Strix, the Ordo is probably the most curious about their origins and functioning, the Crones would probably be okay with the Strix if the Strix were okay with them, and the Lancea hates them on principle because they're literally the bad guys of the Longinian Eschaton.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirthless View Post
              My assumption for the Strix, when I run a game, is that all the Covenants hate and oppose the Strix and hunt and kill them if possible and that this has little or nothing to do with the actual philosophy of the Covenants. I'd say that pretty much any Covenant bar the Lancea et Sanctum (whose holy text has very explicit...views on Owls that possess Vampires) could get along with the Nemeses in a broad philosophical sense, if the Owls weren't absolutely committed to making Kindred life hell.
              Well, i would say that all covenants having a general awareness of the Striges as a phenomenom and some base policy/principle is quite the assumption on itself, but as you said, it's how you run a game.

Not that i disagree, but i would tend to make it more localized, with the covenant community in a domain have edicts, files and such, others having little to no knowledge - or even conception - of their existence and a bunch of places somewhere in-between, with some people here and there knowing things and having varying degrees of fear and preparedness to detect or deal with them.

And then there's the problem that the Birds are not exactly unique in their capacities and temperament, there being lots of equaly strange or malicious beings to cause the kindred trouble.

Comment

Working...
              X