Trying to build the Adze of Ghana as a Bloodline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to build the Adze of Ghana as a Bloodline

Long story short, "adze" is the Ewe conception of a vampire, a species of disease-spreading fireflies who can take human form and drink blood, leaving sickness in their wake (believed to be a mythological explanation for malaria; in Ewe folklore, mosquitoes and fireflies are considered both vectors of pestilence).

Thing is, though, what drew me to them is that the adze are known to possess humans...except that they don't actually take control of their hosts, but instead turn them into witches. The abasom would retain their free will, but curses would start to strike those who they were jealous of - tragedy would befall the rich who upset the poor, brothers who had more power than their sisters, the young among the old. In a sense, the adze does not use their host, but instead becomes a very toxic friend who acts out their host's vengeful fantasies.

That, my friend, is instant pathos and an interesting take on things for a more sympathetic adze - and ties very neatly into Touchstones. By acting out a human's darker wishes, the adze helps remember how it meant to live for another, and from there, how to live. The creepiness, of course, comes from the fact they don't necessarily ask if their Touchstones want their help. "The Ones Who Give You What You Thought You Wanted", and all that.

So, I'm thinking they could be a Daeva, Nosferatu, or even Mekhet Bloodline, depending on whether I want to emphasize their nature as obsessive familiars, bringers of tragedy, or the occult outside-context problem of vampires who hunt for masters to serve. Hell, one could make them intellectual Gangrel, given how they're based around upending social order. Also, what their Disciplines would be; I'm tempted to do Protean, given their link to fireflies, but it could be a special ability based around probability manipulation, or a type of Blood Sorcery (though, honestly, it could be that Adze are just frequently Acolytes or Sanctified; both Covenants have ideologies very appealing to self-proclaimed guardian devils).

Your thoughts?

So, there are obviously a lot of different directions you can go here, but if it were me, I'd probably make this a Mekhet bloodline [or a lost clan], and give them Animalism. The invisibility of disease fits well with the Mekhet, and it pairs nicely with the infectiousness of Animalism. Not to mention that Animalism can [theoretically] allow them to command fireflies, mosquitoes, and any pestilence the latter carries. Auspex helps them figure out what their Touchstones want, and that drive to deliver it can easily be spun into attempts to fill a void. With Obfuscate and Celerity, they can infiltrate homes unseen, creating the illusion that they can bypass doors.

If you want to give them Protean, so they can turn into fireflies or whatever, then I would probably replace Celerity or Obfuscate with Animalism [probably Celerity] and make Protean their fourth Discipline. Possibly give them Swarm Form for free whenever they develop the third dot? Maybe a Devotion that allows them to ride inside their chosen hosts as a firefly, subsuming into the flesh?

Or turn them into horrible quasi-Strix, and give them Dominate plus some weird Devotions that allow them to shunt consequences or hardship from possessed hosts to those around them. You could even bring in the sympathy rules of Mage to model who suffers most.

It kind of depends on what you want to do with them once the bloodline is made [or if it is just for fun], but those are my initial sketches. Adze are definitely a cool starting point for a bloodline with a lot of fun possibilities!

Consistently Inconsistent
    Website
    She/Her

Comment

My gut response is Mekhet. Especially because, since they're kind of walking monkey's paws, maybe they spread the Shadow propensity for collecting curses to their Touchstones. That'd be a really interesting bloodline bane.

I think some sort of bloodline sorcery would work best, or maybe just their own proprietary, "caveat emptor" Cruac spells, like the Yagnatia; I tend to think Cruac is spread more widely than the Acolytes would have others believe, but that's neither here nor there. That could be the benefit for being part of the bloodline's subculture, and then add Protean or Animalism as a fourth (or you could split the difference: Animalism, Auspex, Celerity, Protean would be a pretty cool combo, though perhaps it makes them too Gangrel).

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
      Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
      Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Comment

I think either Mekhet with Protean like SomethingFishy said or Gangrel with Auspex (to learn their host’s secrets) would work. I prefer Mekhet but Gangrel would work too if you want to emphasize their animalistic aspects.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Two things that cross my mind:

- The "fireflies that drain life or enter a person" make me think of 2e version of Mist Form.
          - The striking people with back luck/curses thing bring to mind for me either the Bohagande (from bloodlines: the hidden) and their Sunnikuse discipline or, much more recent, the Dhampir fate-twisting powers/bane.

What if the Adze is not a kindred, but something between a Hollow Mekhet's wandering Ba and a strix, not outright possessing, as it is not a full spirit/soul, but a broken/twisted fragment in the first place, but changing the person through its presence in a manner similar to what a kindred's seed does to an unformed half-human child?

The Blood is a strange thing in that its power/curse can serve as glue connecting terribly disparate things in what we know as kindred, as shown by the Hollow's evolution in Mekhet, the Vermes & similar decidedly inhuman things into Nosferatu, the mystery of the Sta-Au and their connection to the Land of Worms, Hellminth and things possibly of the Lower Depths if not Abyss itself, or much more recently the quite rare Jiangshi into a sort of localized clan of its own.

Just some rambling trains of thought. Sorry if it digress, hope it does help with your own ideas somehow.
          Last edited by Baaldam; 08-17-2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
            Two things that cross my mind:

- The "fireflies that drain life or enter a person" make me think of 2e version of Mist Form.
            - The striking people with back luck/curses thing bring to mind for me either the Bohagande (from bloodlines: the hidden) and their Sunnikuse discipline or, much more recent, the Dhampir fate-twisting powers/bane.

What if the Adze is not a kindred, but something between a Hollow Mekhet's wandering Ba and a strix, not outright possessing, as it is not a full spirit/soul, but a broken/twisted fragment in the first place, but changing the person through its presence in a manner similar to what a kindred's seed does to an unformed half-human child?

The Blood is a strange thing in that its power/curse can serve as glue connecting terribly disparate things in what we know as kindred, as shown by the Hollow's evolution in Mekhet, the Vermes & similar decidedly inhuman things into Nosferatu, the mystery of the Sta-Au and their connection to the Land of Worms, Hellminth and things possibly of the Lower Depths if not Abyss itself, or much more recently the quite rare Jiangshi into a sort of localized clan of its own.

Just some rambling trains of thought. Sorry if it digress, hope it does help with your own ideas somehow.
            These are all great ideas.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

These are all great ideas.

Maybe it could be that an Adze is something formed from the shattered soul of a mortal blood magician possessed by a strix, perhaps.
              The human dies, but something, already imbued with blood magic that attracted the owl's attention in the first place, learns from the suffering and is changed by it, forming this restless dark fate that wanders in search of those destined to sorcery or spreading misery, to inhabit and make it feel complete.
              Last edited by Baaldam; 08-21-2020, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X