The Bank of the red teller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bank of the red teller

I was reading the dark eras 2 chapter about the Arthurian Britannia and some details puzzled me.
    The Contracts of night and day Merit sayis "The Legion of the Green have developed a limited ability to impose oaths of prestation and fealty upon their allies within the Lost, aided in their transactions by Hobgoblin servants of the Bank of the Red Teller, who store and ferry the accumulated Glamor and Vitae between the liege and vassal of each oath."
    But this poses a lot of questions:

-who is the Red teller?
    The book sayis that it is a Goblin queen and we can infer that it owns a bank that broke deals with Vitae and Glamour.
    Personally i think that it could be a former human goblin queen that has been turned to a ghoul, and uses the stored vitae to remain immortal.
    Or better it could be a vampire who has turned into a goblin queen and uses vitae and glamour to empower blood sorcery rituals.

-does the book state that all the legion (and by consequence all modern Invictus) oaths are empowered by the bank?
    Or only oath with Lost vassals require the intermediate?
    It would be an interesting twist if the signature gifts of the invictus has ancient fae roots and STILL works by wyrd rules.

-what does the merit means when it mentions stored vitae and glamour?
    The contracts of night and day and Blood liege merits doesn t require any pool expenditure.
    Maybe oaths like the Oath of action allows changeling to use glamour instead of vitae to activate the acquired discipline, with the bank paying the vitae cost from its store and requiring spent vitae+1 in Glamour.
    Also i can totally see the hobgoblins selling "discipline goblin contract" powered by vitae (the Red teller blood sorcery could create them).
    But i don t know any oath that require the liege to expend vitae, so i don t know how the bank could acquire the blood in store.

-why does changeling must pay experience for oaths?
    I can understand vampire using xp because of their lack of Glamour pool, but changeling can naturally forge oaths paying only with Glamour.
    I would homebrew that they can acquire invictus oaths by spending their level in Glamour.

What do you think?

I don’t have the book but I do know that the vassal in an Invictus oath always pays the xp cost. That said I see no problem with homebrewing it.

Comment

I can see the Red teller being an Entitlement in 2e terms- and as such, it is more of a "role" than a person. If that is the case, than the Invictus (or any organization which uses Oaths) will still need to have a Red teller in order for their Oaths to work. It could be a cool plot hook in the case the Red teller gets replaced by some rival organization, which means that all of the Invictus's oaths are null and void- or even turned against them as the new teller demands them to "pay their loan", allowing their rivals to take over their assets and destroy and replace the covenant. Or maybe the teller gets killed without a clear heir, leaving the Invictus in dismay as they have to find someone to take their position before their enemies would find out. A lot of cool potential, IMO.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
        I can see the Red teller being an Entitlement in 2e terms- and as such, it is more of a "role" than a person. If that is the case, than the Invictus (or any organization which uses Oaths) will still need to have a Red teller in order for their Oaths to work. It could be a cool plot hook in the case the Red teller gets replaced by some rival organization, which means that all of the Invictus's oaths are null and void- or even turned against them as the new teller demands them to "pay their loan", allowing their rivals to take over their assets and destroy and replace the covenant. Or maybe the teller gets killed without a clear heir, leaving the Invictus in dismay as they have to find someone to take their position before their enemies would find out. A lot of cool potential, IMO.
        But the Red teller is descripted as a Goblin queen, do you think that they can have Entitlement?
        Even if it was a changeling turned to a goblin queen wouldn t the entitlement be temporary suppressed?

Comment

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
          Even if it was a changeling turned to a goblin queen wouldn t the entitlement be temporary suppressed?
          Why would it be?

But yeah, it would have to be a changeling turned Goblin Queen for an Entitlement.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Why would it be?

But yeah, it would have to be a changeling turned Goblin Queen for an Entitlement.
            It s only a supposition, based on the fact that the Goblin queen condition is incompatible with mantles and courts.
            Core book says that the condition temporary suppress mantle effect because the character is no more a changeling, and courts are a changeling thing.
            I think that the same reasoning could be applied to Entitlement
            Last edited by Neos01; 09-15-2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Most important, i m curious to know if anyone has figured out how the transaction economy of blood and glamour of the bank could work

Comment

Well, it is a valid assumption- but it is still an assumption.

In 2e, there is little in common between Courts and Entitlements- Entitlements are special roles which the Wyrd governs, given to specific changelings (generally there is only one bearer of every Entitlement, but there are exceptions- but still, nothing in the style of large organizations). It is, however, a part of the Lost's existence, so you could decide that the Goblin Queen Condition does not allow the use of the Entitlement merit while it is active- but again, we are talking about Changeling, where there are loopholes in every pact. Perhaps the Red Teller is a special Entitlement which could only be bared by a Goblin Queen, and is essentialy built around it. Perhaps it was originaly a Goblin Queen during the time of the Dark Era, yet due to the events and dvelopment of the bargains between the Fae and the Blood it has evolved into a a true Entitlement as time progressed. Maybe it was always an Entitlement, yet most people have confused its barer as a Goblin Queen. There are many ways to play around it, even if you assume that someone can't have an Entitlement while serving as a Goblin Queen, which I am not sure is outright stated.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                X