House ruling in hunger dice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House ruling in hunger dice.

I much prefer requiem as a setting and as a rules set. However I absolutely love the masquerade 5e hunger die mechanic. I'm trying to figure out how to house rule it it in. Would it be as simple as replacing every instance of spend a blood point with roll for hunger? I think I would also need to work in what messy critical and failures. Is there anything else I'm overlooking?

Originally posted by RadioFreeDeath View Post
    I much prefer requiem as a setting and as a rules set. However I absolutely love the masquerade 5e hunger die mechanic. I'm trying to figure out how to house rule it it in. Would it be as simple as replacing every instance of spend a blood point with roll for hunger? I think I would also need to work in what messy critical and failures. Is there anything else I'm overlooking?

I would like to add some useful input, but must admit i still have to read V5 myself to say for sure.

Are you playing Requiem 1e or 2e? Just checking, doesn't hurt to ask.

Comment

Maybe have a look at the Atrocity dice system in The Danse Macabre. That system shares some DNA with Hunger dice, and it might offer some options.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
      Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
      Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Comment

These are the very quick and dirty rules I have played around with in my head. These are not playtested in any way.
        • A certain number of the d10s in your dice pool become "Beast dice". These should be marked by a different colour or you simply count them as the first dice in line if you are using a virtual dice roller.
        • You can never have more Beast dice than the regular size of your dice pool.
        • If you score a success on a Beast die, your action, while successful, has been influenced by your Beast. How much depends on how many successes have been scored from Beast Dice (Alternative: Make it so that only 10s cause this effect, 8s and 9s do not. Adjust according to how often you feel this should happen). 1 success is mostly a narrative flourish, but one that may affect social interactions in the future. 3 successes means the Beast has a major effect on the action and most likely the course of the scene. This may include spontaneously Lashing Out or even triggering Frenzy.
        • (Optional: Once per Chapter the Storyteller may grant a Beat to amplify the result beyond what the rolled Beast successes would suggest.)
        • If you fail a roll and any Beast dice have come up as 1s, something similar to the above happens, but it is your failure that is influenced by the Beast. (Alternative: If this happens the roll automatically becomes a Dramatic Failure - earning a Beat - and the effects of the Dramatic Failure are specifically expressed as Beast-influenced behaviour). Again, this can include Lashing Out or triggering Frenzy, but many other things are possible.
        • By default you have 0 Beast Die. The below circumstances add them:
        • Having less than full Vitae adds a die. Even a single missing point of Vitae adds 1 die.
        • Being Hungry adds a die (for a minimum total of 2).
        • Being Starving adds a die (for a minimum total of 3).
        • Add one die for each Beast Condition (Bestial, Competitive, Wanton, Tempted, Jaded) you currently have. Use the Conditions the character currently has to flavor the effect of Beast successes and failures.
        Edit: Since I believe you also alluded to Rouse checks as well I would add that for the most part they should be fairly easy to implement. Simply replace Vitae costs with Rouse checks. I may be misremembering how exactly they work but from what I remember a single effect can only add one die for your Rouse check. You might want to make it so that the more costly effects in Requiem inherently have multiple dice for your Rouse check. My first instinct would be to translate up to 2 Vitae cost into one Rouse check die, so an effect that costs 5 or 6 Vitae rolls 3 Rouse check dice.
        Last edited by saibot; 10-20-2020, 08:38 PM. Reason: Added a thought

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

I would like to add some useful input, but must admit i still have to read V5 myself to say for sure.

Are you playing Requiem 1e or 2e? Just checking, doesn't hurt to ask.

2e I probably should have specified.

Comment

Warning, wall of text below (I've been doing a mash up of Masquerade and Requiem too):

HUNGER DICE

All vampires have a new trait, Hunger, that replaces the Blood Pool/Vitae per Turn mechanic and is measured on a sliding scale. A vampire with a hunger of 0 is sated and satisfied, whereas a vampire with a hunger of 5 is ravenous.

The higher the number, the more starved for blood the vampire becomes, and the hungrier the vampire is the harder it becomes to resist the influence of the Blood.

The default level of Hunger is 1. This is the normal state for vampires, where the thought of blood is appealing all the time, though they can resist it with little difficulty.

To represent Hunger mechanically, use different colored 10-sided dice known as Hunger Dice. Hunger dice take the place of regular dice in a player’s dice pool.

USING HUNGER DICE

Hunger is a persistent problem for all vampires. Though it can be avoided in the short term, it never abates, and to deny yourself blood is to deny your very essence. Whenever you are hungry (whenever you have at least Hunger 1), you’re at risk of falling victim to your own undead nature.

To reflect this in the game, you always use your current Hunger dice as part of a dice pool for Skill rolls, including when using Disciplines ( Hunger dice are never calculated as part of Humanity or Willpower rolls). Hunger dice otherwise function as regular dice, scoring successes on a 8+. Hunger Dice are limited by your Dice Pool. If you are at Hunger 5, and your Dice Pool is 4, you only roll 4 dice as shown below.

On rolls including Hunger dice: If you fail your roll and roll a 1 on one or more of your Hunger dice, your hunger has distracted you momentarily, and you lose your next turn (alternately, the Storyteller may elect to impose a Condition appropriate to the situation, or increase your Hunger level).

In the above cases, the only way to avoid these consequences is to spend a point of Willpower, canceling all Hunger dice 1s and allowing you to quash the unwanted impulse.

If you roll an exceptional success and achieved it with at least one Hunger die, you score a “messy” exceptional success. Your Hunger has driven you to greater than normal performance – at the cost of control. The Storyteller and player work together to decide on the level of success and the level of mess: by and large, they scale upward together (the more successes from Hunger dice, the greater the mess). Some options can be Humanity checks for monstrous acts, Masquerade breaches, loss of a Merit dot (but remember Sanctity of Merits)… If you can’t come up with a good “messy” result for your roll, consider it a failure and move forward.

THE ROUSE CHECK

Calling upon your Blood requires a Rouse check (see the table, Effects of Blood Potency, below); roll one die. If your roll comes up 1-3, gain 1 Hunger. If it comes up 4-0, you have resisted your cravings for now.

Make a Rouse check immediately after you do any of the following things:

- Every time you rise in the evening; if you are at Hunger 5 and fail, you enter Torpor
            - Every time you heal one point of Aggravated damage make three Rouse checks; each failure adds 1 Hunger; if you are at 5 and fail, you enter Torpor
            - Activate Physical Intensity
            - Activate or use a Discipline that costs Vitae (high Vitae cost of 5+ may require two Rouse checks or more, Storyteller discretion); when a re-roll is listed, roll twice taking the best result
            - Heal Bashing or Lethal damage
            - Gain the Blush of Life to appear human for one scene

Comment

Originally posted by PJ123 View Post
              Warning, wall of text below (I've been doing a mash up of Masquerade and Requiem too):

HUNGER DICE

All vampires have a new trait, Hunger, that replaces the Blood Pool/Vitae per Turn mechanic and is measured on a sliding scale. A vampire with a hunger of 0 is sated and satisfied, whereas a vampire with a hunger of 5 is ravenous.

The higher the number, the more starved for blood the vampire becomes, and the hungrier the vampire is the harder it becomes to resist the influence of the Blood.

The default level of Hunger is 1. This is the normal state for vampires, where the thought of blood is appealing all the time, though they can resist it with little difficulty.

To represent Hunger mechanically, use different colored 10-sided dice known as Hunger Dice. Hunger dice take the place of regular dice in a player’s dice pool.

USING HUNGER DICE

Hunger is a persistent problem for all vampires. Though it can be avoided in the short term, it never abates, and to deny yourself blood is to deny your very essence. Whenever you are hungry (whenever you have at least Hunger 1), you’re at risk of falling victim to your own undead nature.

To reflect this in the game, you always use your current Hunger dice as part of a dice pool for Skill rolls, including when using Disciplines ( Hunger dice are never calculated as part of Humanity or Willpower rolls). Hunger dice otherwise function as regular dice, scoring successes on a 8+. Hunger Dice are limited by your Dice Pool. If you are at Hunger 5, and your Dice Pool is 4, you only roll 4 dice as shown below.

On rolls including Hunger dice: If you fail your roll and roll a 1 on one or more of your Hunger dice, your hunger has distracted you momentarily, and you lose your next turn (alternately, the Storyteller may elect to impose a Condition appropriate to the situation, or increase your Hunger level).

In the above cases, the only way to avoid these consequences is to spend a point of Willpower, canceling all Hunger dice 1s and allowing you to quash the unwanted impulse.

If you roll an exceptional success and achieved it with at least one Hunger die, you score a “messy” exceptional success. Your Hunger has driven you to greater than normal performance – at the cost of control. The Storyteller and player work together to decide on the level of success and the level of mess: by and large, they scale upward together (the more successes from Hunger dice, the greater the mess). Some options can be Humanity checks for monstrous acts, Masquerade breaches, loss of a Merit dot (but remember Sanctity of Merits)… If you can’t come up with a good “messy” result for your roll, consider it a failure and move forward.

THE ROUSE CHECK

Calling upon your Blood requires a Rouse check (see the table, Effects of Blood Potency, below); roll one die. If your roll comes up 1-3, gain 1 Hunger. If it comes up 4-0, you have resisted your cravings for now.

Make a Rouse check immediately after you do any of the following things:

- Every time you rise in the evening; if you are at Hunger 5 and fail, you enter Torpor
              - Every time you heal one point of Aggravated damage make three Rouse checks; each failure adds 1 Hunger; if you are at 5 and fail, you enter Torpor
              - Activate Physical Intensity
              - Activate or use a Discipline that costs Vitae (high Vitae cost of 5+ may require two Rouse checks or more, Storyteller discretion); when a re-roll is listed, roll twice taking the best result
              - Heal Bashing or Lethal damage
              - Gain the Blush of Life to appear human for one scene
              Perfect this is exactly what I was looking for! Stolen. Out of curiosity are there any other rules you have ported over?

Comment

Glad it works. I copy/pasted most of that anyway from the alpha play test rules. Yeah, I've got a couple things I've done. Mind you, nothing play tested. Some of it is porting Masquerade over as bloodlines and Mystery Cults, some is just tweaked house rules.

Comment

V5 operates on success 6+ on d10, so Rouse checks are always 50% chance. With the ones I posted, you're slightly less likely to incur Hunger since you only increase it 30% of the time (roll of 1-3). I toyed with the idea of keeping it like VtR 8+ and just rolling two dice/ take best, but figured it's simpler this way and not really game breaking. Let me know if you want me to post some of the other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X