Bloodline GIfts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodline GIfts

I've been away from VtR for a bit, and perusing some fan made / fan enhanced bloodline material recently I noticed that many bloodlines have a bloodline gift in addition to a bloodline bane. Looking around, I see it appear as early as in one of Rose Bailey's posts on bloodlines 6 years ago. I just can't find any reference to it in the rules. Where did bloodline gifts originate?

Originally posted by Newes View Post
    I've been away from VtR for a bit, and perusing some fan made / fan enhanced bloodline material recently I noticed that many bloodlines have a bloodline gift in addition to a bloodline bane. Looking around, I see it appear as early as in one of Rose Bailey's posts on bloodlines 6 years ago. I just can't find any reference to it in the rules. Where did bloodline gifts originate?

2nd edition, if memory tricks me not.

Comment

Since the first posted Bloodline Gifts were "you may spend XP on this", they've technically existed since the first edition core book. They just haven't been called Bloodline Gifts. The only difference in many (but not all) second edition examples is that the first dot/Devotion/advantage is free.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
        Since the first posted Bloodline Gifts were "you may spend XP on this", they've technically existed since the first edition core book. They just haven't been called Bloodline Gifts. The only difference in many (but not all) second edition examples is that the first dot/Devotion/advantage is free.
        So when did the term "bloodline gift" actually appear with any explanation?

Comment

So when did the term "bloodline gift" actually appear with any explanation?

Definitely the Requiem 2e corebook.

Comment

It's a throwaway mention in the core that was focused on for the first few blog posts and then some fan bloodlines. It's not in Spilled Blood or any of the Dark Eras bloodlines.

"Many times, these bloodlines possess unique Disciplines,
            exclusive Devotions, or strange sorceries. All bloodlines have
            four Disciplines considered in-clan. These do not always align
            with their parent clan Disciplines. A given bloodline may have
            one unique Discipline; and nobody outside the bloodline can
            learn their gift, even through diablerie."

TBF I wish they DID consistently use it, it's a cooler term and clearer divide in a given writeup than just "New Mechanics" or "New Devotions" or whatnot like SB used.

Storytellers' Vault supplements (WoD, CoD)
            My Patreon! (CofD bonuses include: Fae Sorcery/Technomancy for Vampires, Quick Conversion for Inferno, and more!)

Comment

Originally posted by falco1029 View Post
              It's a throwaway mention in the core that was focused on for the first few blog posts and then some fan bloodlines. It's not in Spilled Blood or any of the Dark Eras bloodlines.

"Many times, these bloodlines possess unique Disciplines,
              exclusive Devotions, or strange sorceries. All bloodlines have
              four Disciplines considered in-clan. These do not always align
              with their parent clan Disciplines. A given bloodline may have
              one unique Discipline; and nobody outside the bloodline can
              learn their gift, even through diablerie."

TBF I wish they DID consistently use it, it's a cooler term and clearer divide in a given writeup than just "New Mechanics" or "New Devotions" or whatnot like SB used.
              Thanks. I did find that, but did not think it was what I was looking for. I thought it was just another reference to unique disciplines (which are discouraged now) but I guess it was also referring to the devotions from the first sentence. Since the thing that made me notice the existence of bloodline gifts was that in many new bloodline write ups it is listed as "Bloodline Gift" right after, and in contrast to, the Bloodline Bane, the word gift by itself didn't seem to be talking about that.

Comment

(which are discouraged now)
                They're not. The first published 2e Bloodline*, Morbus in DEC, still used Cachexy in the form of a Discipline. The only thing that is discouraged is forcing non-Discipline style powers into the Discipline model, but it's fully reasonable to use the Discipline format if it fits a Bloodline's Gift.

*Drafts for three Bloodlines were released on the blog before DEC, but they're neither finalised nor published as official material.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

To be fair, Rose had said that new Disciplines ideally should follow the model laid down in the Corebook, which many of the later Bloodline Disciplines fail at, I believe that is what Newes meant.

The Discipline of the Bron (cannot check the name right now) is a collection of disparate powers, with little hint of buildup. Cachexy fails to deliver horror from the first dot (in fact recognizing the diseased on a glance should probably be an innate Morbus Gift), etc.
                  Last edited by saibot; 10-24-2020, 05:48 AM.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

Working...
                  X