Is Lethargic Condition too crippling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Lethargic Condition too crippling?

So, I just reread the condition and realized that I always played it wrong and not as it is RAW.

By RAW, the penalty keeps stacking when you're awake, and every 6 hours you make a roll to fall asleep until the next sunset.
    You only resolve this after a full day's sleep.

So if you stay awake to run some errands, and later you fall asleep, you awake next sunset, still with this condition. Which is all good, being tired the next night seems very appropriate.

However, condition text doesn't differentiate between night or day, so on hour 6 of the next night, you are increasing your lethargic condition and making the roll (which is now penalized) or you'll fall asleep during the night, until the next sunset. If you're being really pedantic, you might be getting this roll earlier than 6 hours (like if you spent 5 hours awake during the day, then technically, after the first hour he "completes" a 6-hour awake cycle to tick up the condition.

I always thought that the stacking up and rolls were meant to be happening during the day, and the next night you just walk around with whatever you accumulated.

Thoughts?

My Bloodline conversions
    My House rules

Originally posted by Griautis View Post
    However, condition text doesn't differentiate between night or day, so on hour 6 of the next night, you are increasing your lethargic condition and making the roll (which is now penalized) or you'll fall asleep during the night, until the next sunset. If you're being really pedantic, you might be getting this roll earlier than 6 hours (like if you spent 5 hours awake during the day, then technically, after the first hour he "completes" a 6-hour awake cycle to tick up the condition.
    The penalty is cumulative based on how long you've gone without sleep. This is a fatigue mechanic — even if you wake up in a fashion that has you retain the Condition, you're not making a roll or incrementing the penalty to -1 until six hours into the night. The Condition is "you're fucked up until you get a solid twelveish-hour nap" and its mechanics funnel toward that outcome.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      The penalty is cumulative based on how long you've gone without sleep. This is a fatigue mechanic — even if you wake up in a fashion that has you retain the Condition, you're not making a roll or incrementing the penalty to -1 until six hours into the night. The Condition is "you're fucked up until you get a solid twelveish-hour nap" and its mechanics funnel toward that outcome.

That's not RAW, tho. RAW the condition text does not differentiate between night or day and keeps stacking up for as long as you have the condition even at night.

Tho, I'm happy to go with that as RAI and just keep playing as I always was.

My Bloodline conversions
      My House rules

Comment

Do what works best for you and your group. Maybe there’s a blood magic ritual that makes it work WAR if you want to mess with someone.

Comment

Working...
        X