Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help me understand Carthian Law?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me understand Carthian Law?

Here are my doubts:
    - What constitutes a city law?
    - Do the Carthians have to be in power for the Law to have an effect? What happens in an Invictus city?
    - Does a Carthian have to witness the law breaking for it to enforce?
    - What can actually be enforced? Only vampiric powers (disciplines)?

1. In short, the most widely recognized law of the domain, whether de facto or de jure. That can come from on high in an Invictus court, or just be a set of rules most Kindred agree upon. There are surely edge cases, like where a domain has conflicting laws or rival factions of power, but that's the basic idea.
    2. Carthians can enforce all laws in the city, even if it's not their own. They also have abilities that let them circumvent laws for this very reason. "In many cases, this law did not come from the Carthians, but that doesn’t mean they can’t use it to their advantage."
    3. I'd say it depends on the circumstances? I'd have to see a concrete example.
    4. Feeding in the wrong territory is a common law enforcement situation. Any of the Three Traditions can be laws Carthians should enforce. It doesn't have to be use of powers.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
    Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
    Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Comment

Thanks Yossarian, you already helped a lot.

To my understanding, to some law to have an effect without a Carthian it has to be a merit (like Lex Terrae), but I could be very wrong here. Say a vampire is commiting diablerie what happens if he is alone? What if a Carthian happen to be witnessing?

What if a vampire is about to break masquerade? Either by telling or using a Discipline. I think that vampiric power could "fizzle out" and simply not work in an enforcement of the law, but what about a vampire actually just speaking?

Regarding the Lex Terrae and feeding, it specifically mention that the victim vomits and have stains in his mouth which identifies him, so here we have a punishment after a fact, so the vampire can still do the act. How would we go about "punishing" crimes, is it automatic? If so, and there is some amount of Carthian in the city the laws should all be enforced, isn't?

Comment

No law is broken if no witness observes it, the victim doesn't report it, the perpetrator doesn’t report it, or there's no material evidence to indicate a law was broken.

If a Carthian (or anyone else recognized as a resident in the domain) witnesses diablerie being perpetrated, then the Law may be applicable. But even diablerie is not always a universal crime. Blood hunts often authorize diablerie and certain areas or recognized factions that, under the law permit diablerie under certain circumstances (notably the Ordo Dracul and Circle of the Crone) then typical prohibitions may be invalid.

Breaking the Masquerade is a grey area, since most vampiric disciplines don't hold up a big fat sign saying "This is a power used by blood sucking monsters you erroneously think are fictional" If the Law retroactively prevents a Masquerade breach from occurring, then no law is broken.

Lex Terrae is a case of visible evidence that a violation occurred after the fact. So, depending on the domain, it may count as evidence or a confession. It may not, particularly since Lex Terrae can technically be placed in effect by a kindred who has no legal right to the area that was poached.
        Last edited by tsusasi; 12-07-2020, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X