Upgrading damages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading damages

I have a doubt about the damage upgrading. So, if I have my health boxes full with Bashing damages, each bashing damage more is upgrading, from left to right, one pre-existing bashing damage to lethal. That's clear.
    But what about, instead of taking bashing damages, I'm being bitten hence I directly receive lethal. Should I upgrade the pre-existing bashing to aggravated or always to lethal?

Page 182 of the corebook. When you have a full track of bashing damage, any bashing or lethal damage you take translates to a box of marked bashing damage upgrading to lethal. I don't think there's an "each" involved; once you've got a full track of any sort of damage, further damage is a little harder to settle in for things that don't still bleed and need organs.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
      I have a doubt about the damage upgrading. So, if I have my health boxes full with Bashing damages, each bashing damage more is upgrading, from left to right, one pre-existing bashing damage to lethal. That's clear.
      But what about, instead of taking bashing damages, I'm being bitten hence I directly receive lethal. Should I upgrade the pre-existing bashing to aggravated or always to lethal?
      Once you're full up on bashing wounds, it doesn't matter whether any further damage you take is bashing or lethal. The result is the same for each point, upgrading a bashing wound in your Health to a lethal wound.

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      Page 182 of the corebook. When you have a full track of bashing damage, any bashing or lethal damage you take translates to a box of marked bashing damage upgrading to lethal. I don't think there's an "each" involved; once you've got a full track of any sort of damage, further damage is a little harder to settle in for things that don't still bleed and need organs.
      I'm not convinced this is an intentional template difference for vampires. The same wording is used for werewolves, mages, Prometheans, and Begotten, which all appear to copy the text from Vampire. Changelings, hunters, Bound, mummies, and Remade all share a differently written text which specifies "each" in the case of bashing upgrading to lethal but does not specify it for upgrading lethal to aggravated. The Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook uses a third wording which specifies "each" in both cases.

The case could be made that characters full up on lethal damage only upgrade a single wound to aggravated damage for each instance of damage; I don't agree, but I think it could be made. I don't think the case can be made for being full up on bashing and upgrading only a single wound to lethal, unless a developer steps in and clarifies otherwise, as Rose Bailey did for vampires not recovering Willpower from rest. Mages being on Team Super Resilient seems to point to this just being imprecise wording used in earlier corebooks which was replaced in later corebooks, as does the fact that the "each" version is how the 1e Storytelling System worked, and the God-Machine Rules Update that first introduced the 2e ruleset as a patch of changes did not mention any change to upgrading damage.

Comment

Yeah, it's imprecise wording, mostly from an ambiguity of "damage" being plural or singular. The book uses it in both senses. For reference, on 181 it uses it as singular: "When a character suffers bashing damage, mark it with a slash (/)". It's definitely meant to be "each" point of damage, it's just that the example is imagining your character has taken a single point. The example character on 182 keeps taking a single point of each kind of damage. And as noted above, other books use the same boilerplate text.
        Last edited by Yossarian; 12-06-2020, 05:31 AM.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
        Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
        Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Comment

Working...
        X