Chronicle Idea: Caught in a Teen Slasher Movie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicle Idea: Caught in a Teen Slasher Movie

An idea that's been gestating in my mind for awhile now that I thought was worth sharing:

You're a Coterie of Vampires who all have one inconvenient thing in common: You were all embraced in your teenage years. Being treated as kids by much of mortal society, you've all ended up making connections at one of the few places where you can fit-in, a high school located within you're territory. Because of these connections, you've all been invited to a party outside the city: One of the student's families owns a big lakeside house out in the forest, and about 1-2 dozen teenagers (Not including the Coterie) are going to head out there for a few days of partying. For whatever reason, you're coterie decided to accept the invitations. Sure, it's probably a bad idea, but as long as you plan ahead a little and don't do anything stupid, things should turn okay, right?

Things started out okay, up until the first body turned up. And then another partygoer barely survives an attempt on their life. Soon enough it becomes clear that there's a killer in the area (or worse, among the party-goers) that wants everyone at this party dead. The phonelines are down, no one has cell reception, and the panicking teenagers' aren't going to be able to survive this on their own. Your Coterie is the only hope any of them have for survival.

Good luck.

The Chronicle starts with the Coterie heading up to the lakehouse and ends when they either escape back to safety or (More likely) dispatch the killer(s). You're Coterie is assumed to be cut off from the outside world for the adventure, which should affect character creation in a number of ways:
    - Merits which are not internal to the PC's should be relegated to fluff. You might be the Prince of the City, but you're Kindred Status is probably not relevant to this Chronicle.
    - The PC's Touchstones should all be highschool students who are at the Lakehouse Party when the shit hits the fan. This keeps them relevant and gives the Coterie incentive to not just abandon the party-goers to their fates.
    - While not every PC has to be a physical primary, they should have some physical/combat ability. As well, certain abilities, such as Theban Sorcery, require resources the PC's may not have brought with them on the journey.

The Theme for this Chronicle is the age-old question "Who are the real monsters?" By default, the Killer is human, yet they're seeking to commit an atrocity far worse then anything the Coterie has done. At the same time, the only reason the PC's can hope to stop the bloodshed is because they have experience being monsters.

While ST's can create their own killer or killers, here's the group I'd use if I was running this:
    The Murder Clique are a group of sociopathic highschoolers looking to get famous by killing their peers and pretending to be the only survivors of the massacre. They're technically human, but they're smart, equipped with very high dice pools for a normal person, and have spent months planning this out (One of them is the kid whose family owns the house; they're all familiar with the terrain).

The most terrifying thing about the Thrill-Seeker is how much she enjoys killing. Socially adept, she pretends to be just a scared innocent while also manipulating the other students, turning them against each other or luring them off alone to where she and her friends can butcher them.

The Trapper isn't blending in among the students like the others, but is instead camping out in the surrounding forest. The woods are his turf, and anyone trying to flee the cabin to safety is going to have to get past him, his ranged weapons, and his many, many, many traps.

While the entire murder clique is monstrous, the Wraith is the only one who's supernatural. She has a trinket which lets her become incorporeal, and she uses this ability to it's maximum. The house isn't safe while she's around.

The Scapegoat doesn't now he's being set-up by the rest of the clique. Once the rest of the party-goers are dead, the other four plan to kill him as well and pin all the murders on him. Until then, he prowls the house alongside the Wraith, who he has a crush on.

Where the Thrill-Seeker pretends to be helpless, the Patient presents himself as a reliable ally, calm & brave in the face of danger. As manipulative as the Thrill-Seeker and with knowledge of the forest equal to the Trappers, the Patient will try to avoid suspicion for long as he can, unless the death of the Thrill-Seeker or the Trapper forces him to step into their shoes.

Have the main killer actually be someone victimized by your choice. Or the parent of someone who victimized by your killer and ended up killing themself.

Comment

A few considerations:

- How would not someone with Auspex, Dominate, Majesty or Nightmare 2-3 cut a swathe through those guys' tricks? Because one with Protean 3 might do so literally, should be said...

- Could not some other kindred notice the whole coterie going to the party and intervene, suspecting the PCs of being the actual masquerade-breaching culprits behind this?

- If they don't wrap up this mess in one night, the PCs will have to deal with sunrise and the potential exposure of what they are, potentially making them into scapegoats, among other issues.

- Embrace touchstone, play dead together, munch on the killers, good romantic night i say.

Comment

I think #3 is the answer to #1, the only way a vampire goes to this party in the first place not knowing where they're going to sleep all day or how they're going to explain being hard nocturnal is by being horror movie stupid.

Another VERY important consideration is how far down the hit list the first PC is, because the real point of a scenario like this is the moment the slasher stabs the vampire.

Comment

This is a really cool idea but it would make a very short chronicle. Maybe more like one adventure in the course of a regular chronicle. Think about how this would tie into your main storyline and what the fallout would be like for the survivors.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
            I think #3 is the answer to #1, the only way a vampire goes to this party in the first place not knowing where they're going to sleep all day or how they're going to explain being hard nocturnal is by being horror movie stupid.
            Doubly ironic for the monster as victim.

I suspect the Trapper might be the clique member with highest chances of survival, since it will have a lookout point in the forest from which to watch the whole trainwreck develop, not to mention the traps to maybe buy it extra time.

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
            Another VERY important consideration is how far down the hit list the first PC is, because the real point of a scenario like this is the moment the slasher stabs the vampire.
            There's that indeed. Though the actual victims might be as screwed up in the crossfire.
            Last edited by Baaldam; 12-20-2020, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I actually don’t like slasher movies because they demonize sex but this still sounds like it could be a pretty awesome scenario.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                I actually don’t like slasher movies because they demonize sex but this still sounds like it could be a pretty awesome scenario.

I think it's more of an "getting people with their guard down" issue, but it's true that there's much of a "beware the big bad wolves, little red hood" to the genre as a whole.
                Last edited by Baaldam; 12-20-2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Baaldam good point. I think both are accurate.

Comment

Baaldam good point. I think both are accurate.

Ever seen Cherry Falls? It does some entertaning commentary on this sort of genre tropes and even plays up with them at times.

Comment

No, but it sounds pretty cool. Is it on Netflix?

Comment

No, but it sounds pretty cool. Is it on Netflix?

Honestly, no idea. It has been a bunch of years since i last saw it.

Comment

Thanks. I’ll check it out. Also Scream 2. Saw that at a slumber party lol.

Comment

Mekhet find the killer, Gangrel go get the cops or at least find out what’s going to stop the people who try.
                            Honestly this would probably work better if the players were Ghouls.

Comment

Just had an idea for how this can last over several days; there's an entrance to a cave system hidden in the shrubbery right outside the house that the killer (alongside the kid hosting the whole event and his family) somehow missed. Thanks to the PCs being Kindred, they're able to get in and out relatively easily without anyone really noticing. The main problem is figuring out how to justify not being present for a good portion of the daytime.
                              Last edited by TerrorCooper; 01-09-2021, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X