Alternative names for Gangrel, Nosferatu and Ventrue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative names for Gangrel, Nosferatu and Ventrue

One of my (very minor) pet peeves with Requiem is how it kept some of the Masquerade Clan names, which can also be confusing for new players. Therefore, I was wondering if there were alternative names that have come up in books for those three Clans. I know of "Nosphoros" in the Nosferatu Clan book, which is a good example, but I've yet to read the other Clan books.

Originally posted by Daigotsu Max View Post
    One of my (very minor) pet peeves with Requiem is how it kept some of the Masquerade Clan names, which can also be confusing for new players. Therefore, I was wondering if there were alternative names that have come up in books for those three Clans. I know of "Nosphoros" in the Nosferatu Clan book, which is a good example, but I've yet to read the other Clan books.

Well, the Ventrue clanbook seems to attempt to connect their origins with the Aeneid, claiming they were ancestor-spirits of the trojan people that watched over the hero and his followers in the wanderings that would eventually lead to the founding of Rome in myth. Based on texts in the book, it might be said these guardians were cursed by Juno (possibly through the strix) for their role in Aeneas' success among other things.

Based on that, calling them Lares or Penates, after the roman guardian spirits, or something related to these (supposed) trojan roots would make considerable sense.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 12-27-2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Nosferatu could be Vermes like in Requiem for Rome. It sounds like a slur, because it was, but they used it themselves and it may have come to lose its perjorative connotation. Bear in mind that similar words to "worm" refer to dragons of a kind, so it doesn't have to be that lowly.

Carnon is the name of a Gangrel bloodline, but it could work for the clan. The propinqui associated Gangrel with a several cultures, unlike other clans. One of them was Gaul and they could be associated with Cernunnos. The association wouldn't necessarily have to be universal or accurate for the name to catch.

I like Baaldam's idea for Ventrue. You might consider trying to find a Luwian word for ancestor, but that could be quite difficult and possibly inappropriate for Trojans anyway. Plus there's a possibility that they made it all up, in which case they would be unlikely to know more about Anatolian language and culture than anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer from The Hills View Post
        Nosferatu could be Vermes like in Requiem for Rome. It sounds like a slur, because it was, but they used it themselves and it may have come to lose its perjorative connotation. Bear in mind that similar words to "worm" refer to dragons of a kind, so it doesn't have to be that lowly.

Carnon is the name of a Gangrel bloodline, but it could work for the clan. The propinqui associated Gangrel with a several cultures, unlike other clans. One of them was Gaul and they could be associated with Cernunnos. The association wouldn't necessarily have to be universal or accurate for the name to catch.

I like Baaldam's idea for Ventrue. You might consider trying to find a Luwian word for ancestor, but that could be quite difficult and possibly inappropriate for Trojans anyway. Plus there's a possibility that they made it all up, in which case they would be unlikely to know more about Anatolian language and culture than anyone else.
        Yeah, it was pretty much the fact it could be an utterly fabricated origin that i went with a roman name anyway.

But then i also like to mess with the idea of clan, the definition changing from era and place, so that a group of "Ventrue" could actually be a mish-mash of Julii, Savage generals of the Legio Mortuum that remade themselves to assume the throne of the proquinpi upon the Senex's fall, trojan ancestors that turned blood-drinkers during Rome's birth pangs, Gorgon & Annunaki that seem to blur the line between either Clan, while being older than both by centuries or millenia.

Same goes for Nosferatu/Vermes/Xolotl or Mekhet/Grettir/Akhud and who knows what else.

Comment

I'm quite fond of Lords Over the Damned's suggestion that the proper name of the clan is Ven, with some suppositions as to its etymology, and that Ventrue is a later Western European derivation and corruption of the name.

Gangrel is harder; the immediate suggestion that comes to mind is Ekhidna, but even that seems more mythological and scholarly than the Gangrel would be inclined to identify by, more likely something proposed by scholars from other clans. Among themselves I think they're more likely to have a name of practical origin, something that just means "vampire" from whatever land it originated in where the local Gangrel predominated. Savage and Macabre mentions the strega, which has a nice indirect and unverifiable suggestion of owls.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Well, the Ventrue clanbook seems to attempt to connect their origins with the Aeneid, claiming they were ancestor-spirits of the trojan people that watched over the hero and his followers in the wanderings that would eventually lead to the founding of Rome in myth. Based on texts in the book, it might be said these guardians were cursed by Juno (possibly through the strix) for their role in Aeneas' success among other things.

Based on that, calling them Lares or Penates, after the roman guardian spirits, or something related to these (supposed) trojan roots would make considerable sense.
            Actually I like just Aeneid, since it very much makes them king makers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
              I'm quite fond of Lords Over the Damned's suggestion that the proper name of the clan is Ven, with some suppositions as to its etymology, and that Ventrue is a later Western European derivation and corruption of the name.

Gangrel is harder; the immediate suggestion that comes to mind is Ekhidna, but even that seems more mythological and scholarly than the Gangrel would be inclined to identify by, more likely something proposed by scholars from other clans. Among themselves I think they're more likely to have a name of practical origin, something that just means "vampire" from whatever land it originated in where the local Gangrel predominated. Savage and Macabre mentions the strega, which has a nice indirect and unverifiable suggestion of owls.

I thought about Echidna as well, but I agree it might be a bit too scholarly for the Gangrel. Strega isn't bad but I do believe it's the Italian word for witch, which might be confusing. I might need to dig into Savage and Macabre for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post

Here are some i've been tempted to use at times.

The Hagbui in particular i used as an excuse to make the "punk biker gang vampire" from Near Dark & Lost Boys something more than "modern gothic vampires" in a Blood Types game with friends.

Comment

I really like the already mentionned Lares for the Ventrue.

For the Gangrel ... i think that draugr fits very well except ... its lareqdy the name for the humanity 0 state so its a very messy solution (youd need to find another name for humanity 0 and i have no idea).

I haven't really had any idea going well for nosferatu, maybe vrykolakas.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 3 year old daughter and a 2 years old son and now a beautiful new baby.

Comment

It took some finding but we’ve had a similar question although this one seems to be doing better.
                    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...e-specifically
                    Should have something relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Daigotsu Max View Post
                      In Slavic/Serbian folklore, there are vampires that would turn into black animals with shining eyes that are called Psoglav, ( Psoglavi - plural ) which translates to English literally as dog-headed.
                      You could use that for the Gangrel...

Comment

Originally posted by Rosencroft View Post

In Slavic/Serbian folklore, there are vampires that would turn into black animals with shining eyes that are called Psoglav, ( Psoglavi - plural ) which translates to English literally as dog-headed.
                        You could use that for the Gangrel...
                        That's pretty good!!! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X