Better Feared: Nosferatu Now Available at Storytellers Vault

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
    Haha i am francophone as well and i perfectly see what you mean.
    I had a suspicion you (and Ur-Than) might be based on your forum handle, but I didn't want to assume, haha.

If i remember right the intent is that at the inception of the name in the medieval times being fat or ventru would be more a mark of wealth rather than an insult.
    I still always find it a very silly name. XD
    Yeah, that's sort of the party line in the 1E clan book, which makes sense, and it's probably why they called them that way back in 1991. It's actually a really funny section of the book, where the in-character author is trying desperately to justify this strange name.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
    Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
    Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Comment

• A somewhat funny thing is that i had changed the name of the Nosferatu clan back when i was running requiem 1e.

I changed the name to Strix/strig/strigoi ...
      Which got awkward when 2e was released 😆

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 3 year old daughter and a 2 years old son and now a beautiful new baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
        The only Requiem clan I've mused about alternate names for is the Ventrue. It's a cool word aesthetically in English, but its meaning is very odd for a vampire clan, especially vampires in France — ventru meaning "chubby" in French. It's nice irony that the "Lord" clan has a potentially derogatory name, but it breaks the pattern of the other four. I have no idea what I'd change it to, except that it wouldn't be Julii (always the least interesting answer to where the Ventrue came from, IMO). Probably something else that starts with V, so they can keep the logo.
        I once toyed with the name as some mangled derivation of virtus, feeling the kind of pretension in having such a word for the clan's name would be quite appropriate for them.

But nowadays instead i make something of an active effort/personal joke of always denying Ventrue pretensions of roman hegemony or roots in my own games canon - they're always foreign kindred from somewhere else. To the point of inserting the lore of Requiem to Rome - with the Lares/Julii as Ravnos - in my Masquerade games.

Just for the lulz.

Edit: Actually, I played with the Ven from another direction in a recent thread, though i forgot.
        My memory can be atrocious at times it seems.
        Last edited by Baaldam; 09-02-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

So, my answer is kinda boring in that I'd probably just stick with Nosferatu. It's a great word, and its real-life history is super interesting. That said, if for some reason I was doing, like, a third incarnation of the Vampire franchise (not just a third edition of Requiem), I'd be tempted to give clans multiple "official" names depending on the culture, and use the more archetypal nicknames as their common names.

The only Requiem clan I've mused about alternate names for is the Ventrue. It's a cool word aesthetically in English, but its meaning is very odd for a vampire clan, especially vampires in France — ventru meaning "chubby" in French. It's nice irony that the "Lord" clan has a potentially derogatory name, but it breaks the pattern of the other four. I have no idea what I'd change it to, except that it wouldn't be Julii (always the least interesting answer to where the Ventrue came from, IMO). Probably something else that starts with V, so they can keep the logo.
          Could always just use the supposed 'old name' of the Clan that was mentioned in Lords Over the Damned - 'the Ven'.

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Comment

• Originally posted by Kleptomania View Post

Could always just use the supposed 'old name' of the Clan that was mentioned in Lords Over the Damned - 'the Ven'.

As obliquely cited in my last post, in another thread i played with tying the clan's name to ventura.

Comment

• I know this is a bet of a necro, but I'm curious about one thing. The Candyman Bloodline is absolutely my favorite, and has inspired so many cool ideas, but I'd like some insight on how well they can Sweet Stuff. Specifically, I'd like to know what kind of contact, over what kind of timeframe, it takes for a Pusher to put Vitae into a piece of candy. Does it require skin-to-surface contact, or can it be done through a wrapper? And can it be done while someone's watching, even? I visualize a Pusher handing out wrapped Halloween candy, and deciding on a case-by-case basis whether or not any one piece is going to get Vitae'd - but that might be too much. What do the authors think?

Comment

• Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet View Post
                I know this is a bet of a necro, but I'm curious about one thing. The Candyman Bloodline is absolutely my favorite, and has inspired so many cool ideas, but I'd like some insight on how well they can Sweet Stuff. Specifically, I'd like to know what kind of contact, over what kind of timeframe, it takes for a Pusher to put Vitae into a piece of candy. Does it require skin-to-surface contact, or can it be done through a wrapper? And can it be done while someone's watching, even? I visualize a Pusher handing out wrapped Halloween candy, and deciding on a case-by-case basis whether or not any one piece is going to get Vitae'd - but that might be too much. What do the authors think?
                I’m away from my books right now, but basically the way we envisioned it was that you had to bleed over the consumable. That being said, vampire blood is pretty abstract: a point of Vitae is just “essence”, so if a Candyman pricked her finger for a scene and let a bit of blood flow into a Snickers, that would be within the spirit of the rules. As long as you pay the out of character point cost (and the ST is good with it), that should work fine. That said, a wrapper would be too much of a barrier, unless it was specifically designed to be porous — not outside the realm of possibility for this particular bloodline.

Edit: Having had a look at the book now, the power is rather ambiguous. I'll fix that up for an errata. In terms of time frame, it should be an instant action.
                Last edited by Yossarian; 11-19-2021, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• Candyman ideas on them how they can seek vitae at blood Potency 6+

Is their a reason Why I think of making home made candy when I look at their description.

Is it safe to say that their popular cchoices for Stolen Vitae :As hey have access to so many vessels.

Comment

• I was going over the book again and it struck me how many of the bloodlines were concerned with making things. The Acteius, obviously, but the Candymen and Von Schreck Family as well. Was that intentional? And whether it was on purpose or not, does that say something about the Nosferatu as a clan?

Comment

• Originally posted by Minty View Post
                      I was going over the book again and it struck me how many of the bloodlines were concerned with making things. The Acteius, obviously, but the Candymen and Von Schreck Family as well. Was that intentional? And whether it was on purpose or not, does that say something about the Nosferatu as a clan?
                      This was indeed a little theme we weaved throughout the book. Nosferatu are often workers in the All Night Society: they build tunnels and perform heavy labour for the other clans (e.g., the Camarilla's Necropolis). This is not an uncommon trope in mythology, with worker figures being disfigured or disabled in some way so they can't escape their service (Hephaestus is a good example).

Comment

This was indeed a little theme we weaved throughout the book. Nosferatu are often workers in the All Night Society: they build tunnels and perform heavy labour for the other clans (e.g., the Camarilla's Necropolis). This is not an uncommon trope in mythology, with worker figures being disfigured or disabled in some way so they can't escape their service (Hephaestus is a good example).

Dwarves in norse myth and cyclops in the greek, among others might count too. But yeah, a class/race of artisans that have one or more physical characteristics that mark them as somehow apart of humanity is a definitely recurrent theme in myth and folklore.

Comment

Working...
                        X