Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auspex 5 and staying awake during day

Hello,

So how does Auspex 5 work in regards to staying awake during daytime?

There are two bits in the text which talk about it. "Every sunrise that the vampire remains separate from his body he loses a dot of Blood Potency" and "He must still spend a point of Vitae at the beginning of each night."

What about remaining awake? Do you still need to roll to stay awake? Do you gain Lethargic? Can you sleep in your astral form (thus the benefit of the BP being able to stay in this form for multiple days without repaying)? What about frenzy and sunlight?

None of these questions are answered by the discipline, so I am personally inclined to say that "the discipline does what it says it does, and doesn't do what it doesn't say", however, the weird "he must still spend a point of vitae" clause _might_ be implying that that's not the case.

Anyway, I'm on opposite opinions with my player about this. Especially when I consider that normally this benefit costs 6 XP, 1 Vitae/night, and covenant membership (Ascendant 2 dots).

My Bloodline conversions
    My House rules

You're functionally torpid. Logically that precludes recursively entering the daysleep. Your projection gets slower with every sunrise due to losing effective Blood Potency by the day. You can't interact with the physical world in any way, which would seem to preclude the Beast being worried about or able to act on any stimulus that would trigger a frenzy or suffer harm. You spend Vitae because your conscious mind is still active and returning to your body wakes you up without extra cost.

It's the fifth dot of a clan-specific Discipline. That's not cheaper than learning the second Coil of a Mystery.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      You're functionally torpid. Logically that precludes recursively entering the daysleep. Your projection gets slower with every sunrise due to losing effective Blood Potency by the day. You can't interact with the physical world in any way, which would seem to preclude the Beast being worried about or able to act on any stimulus that would trigger a frenzy or suffer harm. You spend Vitae because your conscious mind is still active and returning to your body wakes you up without extra cost.

It's the fifth dot of a clan-specific Discipline. That's not cheaper than learning the second Coil of a Mystery.
      Only if the first 4 dots did nothing Auspex 5 costs 3 XP with a prereq of having learnt the first 4. Whenever that's harder or not than gaining membership in a covenant is game-specific, but should be harder in most games.

Also, it doesn't say that you're functionally torpid. It says that your body is in a torpor-like state. It does not claim that your mind becomes immune to daysleep, which I guess then also is a question of.... is the daysleep for the body or the mind?
      Given that if you live in one of the poles, you functionally have half a year of daytime and another half of nighttime it's probably neither and is magical in nature.

EDIT: A few hours later. So was pointed at Possession, which also has similar claims of _torpor-like state_, but it has explicit alternative rules on how to stay awake. If it was sufficient to be in torpor-like state to stay awake those wouldn't be needed. Of course, unless the purpose of that in possession is to make it harder to stay in the body.
      Last edited by Griautis; 04-01-2021, 07:29 AM.

My Bloodline conversions
      My House rules

Comment

Working...
      X