Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Master's Hound (and other animal ghouls)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Master's Hound (and other animal ghouls)

The Hound is a bulldog, but not one of those stubby, asthmatic canines that live in houses. It is burly and barrel-chested, the way bulldogs were before Parliament banned bull-baiting. The Hound isn’t some atavistic throwback, but an original specimen, ghouled and preserved through the centuries. For centuries, it served faithful at the Master’s side, keeping the ancient Ventrue company through his Requiem. A year ago, an Ashwood Abbey cell violated the Master’s Wyrm’s Nest, burning everything to cinders in an orgy of arson. The Master burned with his estate, but the Hound survived.

Alone for the first time in its life, the Hound wanders the countryside, hoping to find a new home. Other Ventrue and Dragons remind the beast of what it once had, but it has no true understanding of clan or covenant. Any Kindred who befriends the strange ghoul will win its allegiance, especially if they help it exact vengeance on the Ashwood Abbey. The Hound isn't aggressive toward most mortals, it hasn’t forgotten those that took everything from it. Hunters who attack Kindred, especially unprovoked, earn nothing but its teeth in their throats.

The Master’s Hound
    Virtue: Loyal
    Vice: Wrathful
    Aspirations: Find a new Master, take revenge on Hunters, track down the cell that murdered the Master
    Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 4, Resolve 5, Strength 5, Dexterity 3, Stamina 3, Presence 5, Manipulation 2, Composure 2
    Skills: Athletics (Running) 3, Brawl 3 (Grappling), Intimidation 3, Socialize 1, Stealth 1, Streetwise 1, Survival (Tracking) 3

Blood Potency: 0
    Vitae: 8
    Disciplines: Resilience 1
    Willpower: 7
    Initiative: +5
    Defense: 6
    Speed: 15
    Size: 4
    Health: 8

Weapons/Attacks:
    Type Damage Dice Pool
    Bite +1 L 8

Ancient Beast: Centuries of the Master’s experiments changing the Hound into something more than a regular ghoul. It does not age, even when subjected to the Deprived Condition, and cannot die through disease or old age.

Baying to the Blood: When the Hound howls, blood flows from wounds and hearts pound in their ossified cages. The howl is an instant action, which inflicts a bashing wound and the Shaken Condition on everyone bitten by the Hound or a vampire in the last Scene.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Oh, that brings memories about a nomad Dragon i made a bunch of years ago that would play fast-&-loose with the masquerade by making a circus sideshow as a venue to disguise his experiments on ghouling animals with genetic disabities. He eventually had to disband it due to a mishap involving federal agents, but one of the "freaks", a two-headed black faced bull called Tinhoso, would not only manage to survive (and hunt) on its own for decades, but eventually tracked down its master - or more precisely, one of its childer - across a good chunk of Brasil.

Crazy times.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 05-09-2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Animal ghouls? Oooh, interesting. Looking forward to vampire rabbits.

But can they match the vampire pumpkins?!

MtAw Homebrew:
      Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
      New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
        Animal ghouls? Oooh, interesting. Looking forward to vampire rabbits.

But can they match the vampire pumpkins?!

See the merit of Rose & Thorn in Gangrel: Savage & Macabre.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

See the merit of Rose & Thorn in Gangrel: Savage & Macabre.
          Huh, there was one already? That's me for not knowing much about Vampire 1E...

EDIT: Oh wait scratch that I remembered after all

MtAw Homebrew:
          Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
          New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Huh, there was one already? That's me for not knowing much about Vampire 1E...

EDIT: Oh wait scratch that I remembered after all

That the nomad Dragon i mentioned before did happen to possess that particular merit among others definitely helped with that bit of memory.

Comment

I love it!

I personally have used ghouled Grizzly bears, meant to protect an unaligned elder Gangrel’s Territory from A group of Dragons Who wanted to oust him so they could claim the Wyrn’s nest he called home.

The Ordo Dracul eventually learned that not even the most skilled Sworn of the Axe were a match for angry, literal bloodthirsty grizzlies who have access to Celerity, Resilience, and Vigor dots.

Comment

Originally posted by Korogra View Post
                I love it!

I personally have used ghouled Grizzly bears, meant to protect an unaligned elder Gangrel’s Territory from A group of Dragons Who wanted to oust him so they could claim the Wyrn’s nest he called home.

The Ordo Dracul eventually learned that not even the most skilled Sworn of the Axe were a match for angry, literal bloodthirsty grizzlies who have access to Celerity, Resilience, and Vigor dots.
                I was literally contemplating doing ghouled bears last night! If you've got the stats hanging around and want to share, toss them in the thread!

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

I love it!

Aw yeah, greedy Dragons with "got to catch'em all" syndrome that blunder all gung-ho with bared fangs & claws ah-blazing.... number one resource drain of covenant personnel by mismanagement.

It's amazing how few of them ever stop to consider that "access" does not have to equate "possession" and maybe negotiating with supernaturals that already inhabited the Wyrm's Nest before you came in can provide considerable info of value in its properties, peculiarities (and potential problems). Letting any previous occupants stay and just act as "allies" or "consultants" can bear as much fruit, with much less maintenance work or risk.

Not that my nomad Dragon would malign those of his colleagues that do fit this kind of egregious behaviour - a good chunk of his quite successful career in the south american OD has been made from smoothing over their many blunders.
                  Last edited by Baaldam; 05-09-2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Well I have to go find the stuff on my old computer- but I made them pretty beastly.

Comment

And while I agree.. playing nice and asking to visit instead of taking ownership isn’t a vampires first instinct. Why pay rent to have access to a place of occult power when you can slaughter the inhabitants under the false pretense of “They resisted.”?

Comment

And while I agree.. playing nice and asking to visit instead of taking ownership isn’t a vampires first instinct. Why pay rent to have access to a place of occult power when you can slaughter the inhabitants under the false pretense of “They resisted.”?

Because not all of them are underdefended, quite on contrary. Not to mention Wyrm's Nests themselves can unreliable, obviously.
                        Why fight for something you might lose - or actively turn upon you - due to arcane circunstances one wasn't quite familiar with?

Some are haunted, change locale, open passage to strange beings without clear criteria of activity and much, much worse issues ambitious dragons can hit upon because they haven't known the locale long enough. All of them are gambles, so taking one's time to know the players - and the gaming table's rules - beforehand is always a very good investment of one's chips.

Playing nice can be weasel words for "guinea pig" and "leaving the costs in another's hands...."

Comment

How can this animal hold 8 Vitae? It's Stamina is 3, so it shouldn't be able to hold more than 3 Vitae without any special Merits or powers.

My guess is you added his Size and Resilience score to his maximum allowed Vitae, but RAW that isn't how ghouls work, that's how revenants work, though even they don't add their Resilience to their Vitae pool.

Ghoul Vitae pool = Stamina (without Resilience)

Revenant Vitae pool = Size + Stamina (without Resilience)

Comment

Because sometimes RAW gets to take a back seat to weird shit. Eight felt right for this beastie, so eight it is. You'll note the Amarantine Cats in Spilled Blood (which I did not write, but they are awesome) have three dots in Obfuscate even animal ghouls can't have Objuscate as a Discipline.

I almost gave the Hound Blood Potency 1 too, to say it had evolved beyond being "just" a ghoul, but opted not to in the end. Larger Vitae Pool still felt appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

I almost gave the Hound Blood Potency 1 too, to say it had evolved beyond being "just" a ghoul, but opted not to in the end.
                              You're going to really, REALLY like the [REDACTED] in False Gods...

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                              Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
                              Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Comment

Working...
                              X