Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repurposing the Belial Brood 1ed

Hello everyone.

I decided to not post it in the general question thread because it isn't really a question about technical rules, but rather one about possiblities for roleplay and worldbuilding.

So... I didn't really like the 1ed Belial Brood. I found that their book made them a little too easy to understood, in a way. It made them a little Sabbat-like, in a way, and playing them was almost a possibility, but... I felt it defeated the purpose of their Covenant. Still, by themselves, the informations inside were great. They just clashed with what I wanted out of the Brood.

Enter Spilled Blood with its Belial Brood which I just adore, even if they are a far lower tier danger for the Covenants. But this Brood is incompatible with the older version, which I'd like to salvage en repurpose.

The question would be how to do that.

To me, original BB seemed to be a strange mix of Circle of the Crone and Carthians, with a dash of Ordo Dracul, in a way. They had the monstrous magic and spiriturality of the Circle (or at least it's most monstrous elements), the sort of will to create a new society of the Damned/return the Kindred to their "roots" in a very Carthain way and of course that sort of transcendence through debauchery and monstruosity in a mirror of the Ordo Dracul.

If I squint, I could see me just concoting a sort of perfect storm in the 1870, with the emergence of the Circle, the growth of the Carthians and some Defiant on the run from the Ordo, but I don't think it's the only way forward.

So, what would you do with 1ed Brood in a 2ed setting ?

Would you make them willing pawn of the Striges ? A whole new covenant born of the tail end of XXth century nihilism and today's realization that, as a species, humans may be dooming itself to extinction ? The remnant of one far older than the Camarilla who shafes at both the Striges claims of creating the Vampire and the rest of the Kindred attempt to cling to baseless ideals ?

I feel they have a lot of possibilities to be great, not as the absolute terror of all other Kindred (2ed Brood are better at that, just by virtue of being former Draugr now fully sentient again, I think), but more in being a new, corrupt player which entices other to ditch the moores of the All Night Society. I just need to find a great way to craft it, I guess...

I don't know if this is quite the answer you're looking for, but I've got to mention Bloodlines the Devoted. It includes an update of the Therion bloodline and Investments, as well a few words on the two different Broods:
    Originally posted by Bloodlines: The Devoted pg. 56
    Belial’s Brood in Second Edition is considerably different from the version published in 2007. Whereas the original Brood was a multifaction conspiracy of gnostic Satanists, tonight they’re evolved draugr, Humanity 0 vampires who claw their intellect back from the Beast. Unlike the Forsworn, these Worthless aren’t intended as a player option.
    The Therion were the Forsworn’s priest caste, and don’t really fit with the new Brood. If you prefer the material in Belial’s Brood, or just want to use the Therion as an unaligned, devil-worshipping bloodline, use the systems below. It’s also possible both versions exist in your chronicle, and the Therion call themselves Belial’s Brood in opposition to the Claimed, believing themselves to be true inheritors of the Worthless One.
    Originally posted by Bloodlines: The Devoted pg. 58
    Story Seed: Priests of the Worthless
    If you do want to integrate the Therion with Second Edition Belial’s Brood, consider the following: Therion are among the few attempts at organization among the Claimed. They practice Forsworn-style Gnosticism and build cults to Belial, believing themselves to be literal Devil’s Advocates. More subtle than other Worthless, they tempt humane Kindred into the Adversary’s welcoming arms. This group isn’t a bloodline, but they sometimes pretend to be to keep other vampires in the dark about the true source of their powers.

Comment

That's definitively a very interesting bit. I must confess that I don't really know what's the good or not on the STV ^^'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ur-Than View Post
        That's definitively a very interesting bit. I must confess that I don't really know what's the good or not on the STV ^^'.
        If you like False Gods and Better Feared, I think you'll like Bloodlines: The Devoted.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
        Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
        Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Comment

Honestly, the only time Belial's Brood made an appearance in my games, it was a homebrew version, more of a celtiberian hybrid of Akhud and Khaibit that, with the end of the Julii and their vengeance against roman civilization would feel lost and confused, their dedication to Dis Pater and its watchbirds muddled and twisted through the ages, than anything taken straight from the covenantbook.

The version from the BB book i'm somewhat tempted to relate more with Crowley's Thelema and/or Vancian satanism due to some of the terminology.
          Or maybe Crowley's Aiwass was some ancient forsworn freshly out of torpor. Have to reread the book one of those days.
          Last edited by Baaldam; 06-03-2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Yeah, i guess it could make sense. Crowley and a lot of early Esoteric movements (and some Luciferians) certainly feels close in prose at least to some tenets of the Brood in their book. It may be worth a dive in there, thanks !

Comment

Personally I've found that the Tenth Choir from Dark Eras 2 shares a lot of thematic space with the 1e Brood and that I could easily take a lot of the Brood's cosmology and metaphysics and utilize them for a modern Choir.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

And here I'll make my uncultured CofD fan... I don't own any Dark Eras ^^'. I've no ideas what's in them even ^^''

Comment

The Tenth Choir are basically a gnostic cult of vampires which hunts after both demons and angels (in the very loose definition of those terms) which seems to be geared towards killing God or something of those lines, wielding a form of blood sorcery called Therion.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

There’s that Theban ritual whose name constantly eludes me; something about the Worthless One. It gives the ritualist bonuses related to Vice and frenzy.

I’d start with that and make them a Lancea heresy, or even a cross-covenant group of diabolists, with connections to other Infernalists across gamelines.

MtAw Homebrew:
                    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
                    New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Another possible group for connection, i guess.

Comment

Oh, the Sta-Au ! I had forgotten about them. Not gonna lie, I'm not too fond of them, I don't see how they can work with them living in places were no humans dwell

Comment

Originally posted by Ur-Than View Post
                          Oh, the Sta-Au ! I had forgotten about them. Not gonna lie, I'm not too fond of them, I don't see how they can work with them living in places were no humans dwell

More like places where no humans inhabit, to be precise. For one, i've had not much of an issue of setting Sta-Au nests in derelict industrial sprawls, abandoned warehouses and other such places.

For another, considering their proclivity for ghostly weirdness - as an aside, of late i've considered the possibility of relating them to the Jiangshi instead of Mekhet or Gangrel - i've been mostly ok with that hook about places resonant with the "Land of Worms" actually serving as passages between each other and the mundane/normal world. Also some ritual/"geomantic" work involved in cultivating that kind of resonance to the desired degree.

Also, try to look for the Worm Pipe references in Night Stalkers (for Hunter: the Vigil) and the Nosferatu clanbook.
                          Last edited by Baaldam; 06-04-2021, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Honestly I just replace the belial brood with the Sabbat but with extra infernalism sauce

The strix manipulate the members into hunting elders and other vampires becuase that way they get powerful torpored bodies to posses

This is why the sabbath/belial brood never disappears as even if the local leader of the covenant gets defeated the strix would have probably scaped and now is corrupting other desesperate vampires into forming a new sabbat cell

https://www.deviantart.com/cicerondixit/gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Leandro16 View Post
                              Honestly I just replace the belial brood with the Sabbat but with extra infernalism sauce

The strix manipulate the members into hunting elders and other vampires becuase that way they get powerful torpored bodies to posses

This is why the sabbath/belial brood never disappears as even if the local leader of the covenant gets defeated the strix would have probably scaped and now is corrupting other desesperate vampires into forming a new sabbat cell

It's the Sabbat thread for V5 which made the 1ed Brood resurface in my mind

I dig the way you basically replaced the True Black Hand and the antediluvians by the Striges, it does works wonder. Do they keep a religious undertone in your work or do you prefer them to have a more mundane approach when selling their activities to disfranchised Vampires ?

I guess it's also depends on how many independants there is in your Chronicles - Requiem seems to make them really marginalized players, the bottom of the social ladder or the top guys who are so old nobody dares touching them when they are awake.

Comment

Working...
                              X